View Poll Results: Do you transpose plus cylinder Rx's before ordering?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

17 42.50%
  • No

23 57.50%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: transposing plus cylinder Rxs

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Labs do not grind the cylinder on the front surface simply because the RX is written in the plus form. I don't believe that simifinshed lenses are produced any longer. Besides that, this would only be possible with single vision lenses (for reasons that should be obvious to properly trained opticians). Lenses like this would likely cost considerably more. It presents no problem for a lab if you order a job written with one plus cylinder and one minus. If it is an error, it is the fault of the person calling in or writting up the order, and would be subject to labs remake policies. However, a decient lab manager would train their customer service personel to do a bit of extra verification, in this case. Just as with prism up and up, down and down, in and out. Please verify the order is properly given AND the RX is properly written, even if this requires a conversation with the prescriber.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    The only time I actually grind plus cylinder is when I do a saddleback myodisk from an inverted aspheric lenticular lens. Now, technically I'm grinding the cyl on the (originally) back of the lens, since the lens is turned over, it becomes the front, so it ends up as plus cyl.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    Labs do not grind the cylinder on the front surface simply because the RX is written in the plus form. I don't believe that simifinshed lenses are produced any longer. Besides that, this would only be possible with single vision lenses (for reasons that should be obvious to properly trained opticians). Lenses like this would likely cost considerably more. It presents no problem for a lab if you order a job written with one plus cylinder and one minus. If it is an error, it is the fault of the person calling in or writting up the order, and would be subject to labs remake policies. However, a decient lab manager would train their customer service personel to do a bit of extra verification, in this case. Just as with prism up and up, down and down, in and out. Please verify the order is properly given AND the RX is properly written, even if this requires a conversation with the prescriber.
    Exactly. I made the mistake and have no problem with eating the cost because of it. But I was a little disappointed that it was not rejected or someone did not call to verify.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    Exactly. I made the mistake and have no problem with eating the cost because of it. But I was a little disappointed that it was not rejected or someone did not call to verify.
    You should have been called. As a lab manager, I'd have been imbarrased that no one called you.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I was set straight early on. You order as it was written! Otherwise you risk making a mistake. There is no reason to transpose period when ordering eyeglasses.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Eliminating waste leaves one the opportunity to forget to take one's pants down. It's just not that difficult a task.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    Are you required to do business with this lab. There is something not alltogether right with a lab requiring their customers to make all their orders in + or - cyl. As an industry standard there are two ways to express a lens power. If they have a problem with this, one may only imagine what else they are having trouble with. They made the problem yours. The great Harry Sloan told me many years ago (when I was in diapers and snottynosed) "You do not make any friends by throwing the problem back to the customer". (Well please excuse my poor attempt at the German accent.)
    You already stated in this thread that their policy has cost you a lens.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Here's another thought which has served me well, a line from the Caine Mutiny: "The Navy is a master plan devised by geniuses for execution by fools."
    When dealing with labs which seldom have thier most intelligent people writting or re-writting up jobs, I always try to send everything in composed in the manner where there is the least chance of getting it screwed up. Doesn't always work, but it helps.
    I'll never forget sending in an Rx with the PD as 31-29 O.U. and the lab saying : "Oh I thought that was the total PD." I got the job back with a OD. 15.5-14.5 and O.S. 15.5 -14.5
    Don't really remember seeing anyone, even infants with an acutal PD approaching this.
    Chip
    Chip

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Now that we have EHR, I click a button on compulink if its plus cyl and it take care of it for me(not that its difficult) but all my jobs ordered are in minus even if it comes in written in plus. Its just how I was trained.

Thread Information