View Poll Results: Do you transpose plus cylinder Rx's before ordering?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

17 42.50%
  • No

23 57.50%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: transposing plus cylinder Rxs

Bad address email on file k12311997's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

transposing plus cylinder Rxs

Do you transpose Rx written in plus cylinder before ordering? and why.

I always do, mostly just because that was what I was taught. You neutralize and check in jobs in minus so that is how you order them.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you want to speak contact lens, you have to convert. I have known a few labs that charged $0.50 for converting spectacle Rx's to minus form but most lenses had cylinder on posterior surface at that time.

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by k12311997 View Post
    Do you transpose Rx written in plus cylinder before ordering? and why.

If it's stock lenses, most on-line ordering systems require it. I don't do it on Rx's though. Order as written, less chance of ordering error.

I always do, mostly just because that was what I was taught. You neutralize and check in jobs in minus so that is how you order them.
    I don't transpose when neutralizing either. Neut. as written. Once again, less chance of error. (Why give yourself extra work?)

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper any old optician should be able ...............................

I don't transpose when neutralizing either. Neut. as written. Once again, less chance of error. (Why give yourself extra work?)

any old optician should be able to shake this out of his amrpit................

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We enter the RX as written, but my software is set up to convert all orders to minus cyl. This means we are consistent and if you send in a lab order in plus cyl, there will be some mistakes.
    There is no reason to not use minus cyl for all work in my opinion.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    by neutralizing I'm refering to determining the rx from lenses without a prescription to check against. as to why create more work? my answer is uniformity.
    Last edited by k12311997; 06-12-2011 at 07:20 AM. Reason: added

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    any old optician should be able to shake this out of his amrpit................

????

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    so then why do Md's and some OD's write in plus cyl? I get that some use plus cyl phoropters, but if this is something people think can cause errors why not make minus cyl universal?
    equal opportunity offender!!

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Why do some people choose macs over pcs?
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation
    Why so some people choose nissan over honda?
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Actually the plus and minus for the optical industry had to do with whether the cylinder was ground on the front or back.
    The OD OMD difference had to do mostly with Jack Copeland who taught plus cylinder refraction to MD's and appearently didn't teach too many OD's.

Of course there was a time when Canadians made cars with postive ground, the US did negative ground.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yes.....I make it a habit, only to reduce errors during lab orders, verification, etc by staff members, lab personnel. Personally, I am of a vintage where transposing was a 50/50 thing on a daily basis, since I worked/work in a mostly ophthalmic capacity. My lensometers transpose for me, if required, so no issue in that area.

I feel its a potato/potatoe or a tomato/tomatoe thing...............

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by bhess25 View Post
    so then why do Md's and some OD's write in plus cyl? I get that some use plus cyl phoropters, but if this is something people think can cause errors why not make minus cyl universal?

+0.00-300 is easy in a -cyl phoroptor and a headache in +cyl to refract. (-3.00+3.00)
    +3.00-3.00 is easy in +cyl phoroptor and a headache in -cyl to refract. (+0.00+3.00)

With -cyl you're constantly adding a -0.12 sph equivelant and adding plus to offset.
    with +cyl you're constantly adding a +0.12 sph equivelant and adding minus to offset.

I neutralize according to written rx + or - but can only refract or make sense of an rx in -cyl

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by k12311997 View Post
    by neutralizing I'm refering to determining the rx from lenses without a prescription to check against. as to why create more work? my answer is uniformity.
    k, the only time this happens is if I'm duplicating, then yes, I'll notate it in minus.

Chris, after 36 years in labs I've transposed more than a couple of Rx's.

If it's not nessesary, why do it? For practice? Most Rx's I get now a days are in plus. (referring OMD's.) I enter Rx work through a computer interface strait to the supplying surfacing lab. I don't see transposing errors from them. Being a labrat, I'm most used to working in minus, but plus is no big deal.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    No. Though, for Stock Club and Medical Services, they demand minus cyls. If it is plus, that is how I enter it into the computer and verify the order.

It is very simple to convert, but errors happen and this is one potential step where it can happen.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Since working for an MD practice for the last year and a half, I've retrained myself to only think in plus. Every once in a while we get an outside rx in minus, and I write what's written. Of course that all goes out the window when I'm doing a cl fit, but it doesn't happen too often.

Back in the day, before the LC updated their lab software, we had to enter in everything in minus, and there was usually one mistake a week due to entering something in wrong.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Never complicate things by "changing" it. I write up, order, and check in the Rx exactly as written. Plus Cyl, or Minus, whenever you make the decision to change it to something else you add a layer of complexity to what we do and also every change is a chance to screw things up. Keep it simple by leaving it alone.
    Chris Beard
    The State of Jefferson !

I'm a Medford man – Medford, Oregon. Up in Medford, we take our time making up our minds."

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Now I See's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The only time I transpose is when I'm ordering stock lenses. Otherwise, I order and inspect the final work as written.

Master OptiBoarder Striderswife's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by FVCCHRIS View Post
    Never complicate things by "changing" it. I write up, order, and check in the Rx exactly as written. Plus Cyl, or Minus, whenever you make the decision to change it to something else you add a layer of complexity to what we do and also every change is a chance to screw things up. Keep it simple by leaving it alone.
    Same here. I really have no reason to transpose, one way or the other. If I get an outside Rx that is + cyl, that's how I order it and inspect it. If I'm neutralizing, I read in -. When I worked for MD's, I'd neutralize in +.

The only time I transpose for myself is if I'm comparing an Rx to an older one, and they are written in opposite signs (written by different docs, for example). I want them both in - cyl so I can explain the difference (how much change) to the patient.
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    It is all the same. Write it anyway you feel most comfortable with.

Bad address email on file lensman78's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I work for an Ophthalmologist and all of his Rx's are written in plus cyl, except for ctl... none of the labs I use have had any problems, and RxWizard doesn't seen to care. When I ran an optical lab, the software we used didn't care either.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Enter it in as written. most POS systems will not mater. Vision Express converts to minus cyl. or allows you to convert to plus cyl. When choosing base curves I like the RX in the minus form. I dont always care for the choice that surfacing programs select, so I do this on a regular basis.

Occupation
    I am kicking myself in the butt, because I made an error this week. When I was on RX Club, I did the right with a plus cyl and the left with a minus (I did not convert. I just accidentally did it as a minus). Though, I am a little frustrated that they accepted it, considering that you really cannot do one lens in a plus cyl and one in the minus.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Actually you could do one plus and one minus cylinder, I have even done work for OMD's who wrote Rx this way on occasion.

Chip

Technically the plus one should have the cylinder ground on the front and the minus one on the back.

Occupation
    yeah, but that really does not happen today. These were CR-39 so we know they just surfaced them.

Thread Information