Thread: Metamerism in sample lenses

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Metamerism in tinted lenses

Hello Optiboarders,
    just one question for everyone who knows this problem.

recently i was involved in some discussion with our customers concerning of tinted lenses.
    Normally , they send us sample colored lenses for a tint sampling request, and often this samples are charged with a strong metameric effect.

Normally they can't check together their customers this samples with a specific light source (for instance 5000K sunlight).

So it's very difficult for my lab to execute a good color matching using this samples or demo lens often coming from famous sunglasses in poly or other kind of material.

The way to ask them to use with us (..or check with us this sample with..) a fixed light source before and after the color request, is sorrowfully failed.

I'd like to know how other NON Italian opticians and Labs , handle this facts.
    Last edited by mauroventura; 06-08-2011 at 03:16 AM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I always caution our pat's. that we will attempt to come very close to matching the tint, but it is not always possible for an exact match. Yes having three differing wavelength light sources can reveal a different color. We have ambient, incandescent and flourescent light available and sometimes colours appear different in each. Tint match to whatever light source the pat. is exposed to the most.
    Clinton Tower

The intellect to live free is in short supply
    ALT248=°

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    @mauroventura:

If the tinted lens is non-cosmetic, perhaps as a filter, or for sunwear......the best way to control match is to view the color perception through the finished product and compare to the sample.

This may sound low tech, but I am blessed with a potpourri of colors across the street from my dispensary, plus sky, clouds and grassy hills in the distance. I color match the % intensity, and then tweak the color perceptions through the lens to match the sample, and often they may appear different, but perform the same as the sample. I would suggest that the lab do the same, and only match the appearance factor if the tint is cosmetic, or for fashion purposes.

To avoid patient disappointment, I explain the above....try to do all tints, or only let the lab do tinting to lab supplied samples.

Thread Information