Thread: question for NY and CT opticians

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Blue Jumper question for NY and CT opticians

Can any NY or CT opticians help with answers or point me to authoritative resources?

Are there any complicating regulations or issues if one wanted to set up an optical lab in NY or CT, staffed by a licensed optician(s), fabricate Rxs from ophthalmologists and optometrists, and then ship the glasses out of state?

I'm not so much concerned here with regs on setting up the lab -- e.g. OSHA issues. I'm wondering about issues with accepting Rxs from out of state and then shipping the finsished product back to the requesting doctor's office.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!
    Gil

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi Gil:

I'm no lawyer, and before starting up a business I'd certainly check this out with one, but... a NY state ophthalmic dispensing license enables one to place prescribed lenses on a patient. Anyone can make the eyeglasses, and I don't know of any laws preventing them to be mailed. As long as an unlicensed person does not place them on a patient's face.

Try checking on line at www.NYSSO.org (NY State Society of Opticians.)

Hope this is helpful.

Rich

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

CT to NY

I have been licensed in both states and I order pick up and drop off completely fabricated glasses everyday. This is considered interstate commerce so the IRS must be involved. Other then that you have not a thing to worry about.

Thread Information