Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone else nearing burnout?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A Canadian answer to optical stress: buy a stress-ball!

Link:http://www.licensedoptician.ca/cms.D...04-Merchandise

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well, I finally did it. Everyone was busy today so I answered the phone. It was one of those “how much are your glasses” calls. I explained the costs to this intellectual void with the usual results. Before hanging up I asked the following question: Are you interested in the professional qualifications of my staff, the quality of the eyeglasses we supply, and whether or not you can see out of them, or do you just want the cheapest junk you can find?

Is that considered burn-out?

Roy

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy R. Ferguson View Post
    Well, I finally did it. Everyone was busy today so I answered the phone. It was one of those “how much are your glasses” calls. I explained the costs to this intellectual void with the usual results. Before hanging up I asked the following question: Are you interested in the professional qualifications of my staff, the quality of the eyeglasses we supply, and whether or not you can see out of them, or do you just want the cheapest junk you can find?

Is that considered burn-out?

Roy
    thanks you made me laugh. :)

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We avoid burnout by bringing our two German Shepherds to the office each day. They manage to keep everything in perspective for us. No matter how crazy the day gets they both demand their Frisbee time. Fortunately we are in a small town that considers Shepherds in the office as normal.

Roy

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    One of the benefits that keeps me working at Wal-mart is my three weeks vacation. i just took a week off at the end of may and have another the first part of July.I also have a lot of personal time. Granted my hourly rate may not be as high but I love taking my vacation time.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy R. Ferguson View Post
    We avoid burnout by bringing our two German Shepherds to the office each day. They manage to keep everything in perspective for us. No matter how crazy the day gets they both demand their Frisbee time. Fortunately we are in a small town that considers Shepherds in the office as normal.

Roy
    lucky! We adopted a dog a few weeks ago who ended up being a wonderful addition to the family (you know, the four cats, two kids, fish and husband I already take of :)) Best decision we could have made; he is small, almost 6, and hasn't had an accident and willingly goes into his kennel at night. He is so sweet, he would make a good apprentice optician.
    Us waspy yankies definitely don't consider dogs in the office as normal. Maybe thats why we are all such grumps.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Done there, been that.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optilady1 View Post
    Us waspy yankies definitely don't consider dogs in the office as normal. Maybe thats why we are all such grumps.
    We encounter one or two folks each year who take umbrage at having a canine in the office. After being told that these guys are both therapy dogs as well as search and rescue canines, most quickly fall in love with them. If a “waspy” type continues to object, they are referred to the local big box optical where they can purchase cheap glasses really cheap.

Roy

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would love to bring Sheba to work with me. I think all of our patients would be happier with her in the office.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    We had a customer bring her Gomer to the office once. He was a good doggie!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Master OptiBoarder Striderswife's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    That's not a dog; that's a horse! He's beautiful--what is he? His face looks to stocky to be a Dane. . .
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I think she said he was Great Dane and Mastiff.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Gomer is the perfect name for a horse/dog like that :bbg:

Since I've been in optical, I've had patients bring in dogs from time to time. One time was a Saturday and there was no OD so it was myself and another staff member. 2 patients brought in their White West Highland Terriers and other patients in the office just thought it was so fun. Another patient had their dog in the car and decided to bring it into the office too. I don't really know what happened that day but I'm just thankful no one did any "business" on the floor! :bbg: :bbg:

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've concidered buying a pecan retail business near the coast, just so that whenever some Yankee comes in and ask for
    Pee Can's, I can give them a coffee Tin and say : "Go out back." For you that don't know no bedda it's: pronounced
    P-cauhn.
    Some day I'll tell you about how the Louisianna Legislature met for three whole days to decide the correct pronunciation of
    crawfish (Crayfish, mud-bugs).

Chip

Master OptiBoarder Striderswife's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    I think she said he was Great Dane and Mastiff.
    That makes perfect sense. He looks exactly in between the size/features of those two breeds. 8^)

Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Some day I'll tell you about how the Louisianna Legislature met for three whole days to decide the correct pronunciation of
    crawfish (Crayfish, mud-bugs).

Chip
    It's a crawdad! Or even crawdaddy, if you're really hick. ;-)
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    I've considered buying a pecan retail business near the coast, just so that whenever some Yankee comes in and ask for
    Pee Can's, I can give them a coffee Tin and say : "Go out back." For you that don't know no bedda it's: pronounced
    P-cauhn.
    Some day I'll tell you about how the Louisiana Legislature met for three whole days to decide the correct pronunciation of
    craw-fish(Crayfish, mud-bugs).

Chip
    Consider adding a wholesale to the retail pecan business!

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...248237738.html

I believe the blue bloods (Sen. John Kerry) on Beacon Hill pronounce it p-cauhn. :)

Thread Information