Thread: Be nice to your reps; it may pay off some day!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile Be nice to your reps; it may pay off some day!

Yesterday must have been a good karma day.

I was a rep for Omega prior to the Big E and always treat all reps with respect. :bbg:

One of my reps stopped in and gave me a bunch of custom cases from Germany, he was going to rep the line but things changed. They are all sterling silver, real rabbit fur, amazing leathers and ostrich that are amazing.
    He told me it was for being good to him all theses years and he would not take any money for them. The retail is $1,500.00 for the lot. I was taken back by the generosity.

I then got a call from another rep at 6:30 p.m. last night that he just sold 4 pairs for me and here was the order. The rep was there 10 minutes and did this as a favor to someone in NJ; go see his uncle so he could buy some frames.

The total for the 4 plano frames will be over $9,000.00!! I just need to call him for a credit card and ship them out.
    He is getting a custom plano mirrored sun lens and he will pay $150 extra for the lenses. I give nothing away for free, he can afford the lenses he wants. (before someone asks)

The moral of the story is to treat all people the same, until they prove to not deserve it! Customers and reps are all people and this is a very happy tale to report. This is how we sell average prices of over $1,000.00! My goal is to give one other optician or OD the confidence to get in the luxury market; just not in my area!

By the way, I am know to be cranky so it must be my wife they like. It is not my sunny disposition.

Be nice to your rep today and see what happens.

I also got a new Dell Mini computer for ordering 24 frames I was going to buy anyway!

I can't wait to see what today brings.:bbg::bbg:

Make it a great day!
    Craig

Master OptiBoarder Striderswife's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What a great attitude. I got an unexpected hug from my Viva rep this morning. It just made me feel good; she really enjoys coming to see me!

I wanna see a shot of those cases. They sound extraordinary!!
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Craig - you are really on a roll.................:)

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Always be nice to your reps, it Always pays!
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by hcjilson View Post
    Always be nice to your reps, it Always pays!
    I'm trying to each an employee that because while I was gone for my wedding for 2 weeks, it was brought to my attention that she "got into it" with 1-2 reps. I was COMPLETELY horrified by this and said that you CANNOT talk to reps that way because they could drop us like a turn of a dime. Who does that anyways? :hammer:

Anywho, I have a good relationship with all of my reps, especially those who I've worked with for many years. They know about you and you know about them..it works out well. I've even received a few wedding presents from them recently. They didn't have to do that but it's greatly appreciated and it makes you feel GOOD :bbg:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by NeGlassesGirl27 View Post
    I'm trying to each an employee that because while I was gone for my wedding for 2 weeks, it was brought to my attention that she "got into it" with 1-2 reps. I was COMPLETELY horrified by this and said that you CANNOT talk to reps that way because they could drop us like a turn of a dime. Who does that anyways? :hammer:

Anywho, I have a good relationship with all of my reps, especially those who I've worked with for many years. They know about you and you know about them..it works out well. I've even received a few wedding presents from them recently. They didn't have to do that but it's greatly appreciated and it makes you feel GOOD :bbg:
    That is probably how she treats everybody in her life and may include the patients.

Craig

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    That is probably how she treats everybody in her life and may include the patients.

Craig
    Sadly, you're right. It's the "I don't let anyone talk to me that way" attitude. Too bad that's now how it works...

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    +1

I did some training for one of my favorite accounts today in Fairfax, VA. It was so worth the 400 mile round trip to hear how much they appreciated my assistance. I'll move heaven and earth to make sure they get everything they need to be successful and prosperous.
    Last edited by Judy Canty; 05-14-2011 at 08:13 AM.

Optiwizard making films Audiyoda's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I'm all for taking care of your reps - it's smart business after all. It's also smart business to make sure those reps your taking care of are taking care of you - ie...not self-managing boards but working with you to make certain what's on your boards is selling.

It's always been my position that every rep I worked with was a partner. Those that didn't see it that way were no longer welcomed in the door.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I know this is a completely crazy thought, but why don't we be nice to everyone, not because we might get something out of it, but because it's the right thing to do....
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    +1

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    +1 I treat my reps with great respect and I get the same treatment in return. The greatest compilement a rep can give us is when they get their lenses from us and I pride myself on doing just that for all of my reps.
    I came, I saw, I left

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by WFruit View Post
    I know this is a completely crazy thought, but why don't we be nice to everyone, not because we might get something out of it, but because it's the right thing to do....
    Thank you, and thank you!

That was my first thought when I originally read the post! The "payoff" for me is the IMMEDIATE satisfaction I feel knowing that I have treated my fellow human beings with the respect and dignity we ALL deserve. I was disappointed that the "payoff" in Craig's case turned out to simply be more material goods. (Really?)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by kat View Post
    +1 I treat my reps with great respect and I get the same treatment in return. The greatest compilement a rep can give us is when they get their lenses from us and I pride myself on doing just that for all of my reps.
    Great point and it is the ultimate compliment when a rep gets eyewear from you.
    If your reps do not get their glasses from you; it might be time to check to see if you are the place customers want to get glasses!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would agree from your posts that this is how you live your life. This is what I teach my kids and hopefully it is rubbing off on them. Being nice for profit is easily seen as being fake and slimy.
    Being sincere is what folks remember is not the worst way to go thru life.

Craig

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave What is wrong with material goods?

Quote Originally Posted by Darby View Post

That was my first thought when I originally read the post! The "payoff" for me is the IMMEDIATE satisfaction I feel knowing that I have treated my fellow human beings with the respect and dignity we ALL deserve. I was disappointed that the "payoff" in Craig's case turned out to simply be more material goods. (Really?)
    I am sorry you are disappointed that the manner in which I treat people has caused me financial gain. (not really, but that is what you might want to hear) I did not know 8 years ago when I got him a job it would pay off financially years later or I might have worked harder. Live and learn!

I also never realized 12 years ago that the other rep would become a friend and give me some stuff all these years later.

Do you ever take a rep to dinner and pay? I do!

Do you do charity work on a daily basis that is real and beneficial? I do!

Do you donate time, money and effort working with non-profits? I do!

I have my own non-profit www.weewaggin.com that we utilized to save 10 dogs from euthanasia yesterday!:drop: What did you do?

My wife and I always sit on boards for non-profits and actively participate? We are making a difference. Do you?

What did you do to make the world a better place today besides criticize me?

By the way; it takes $$$$ to do all my charity work and raise my family.

I will not apologize for living my life and being rewarded financially. The more money I make allows me to do the things in life that are important to me and this requires no explanation to someone like yourself.

Craig
    Last edited by Craig; 05-18-2011 at 10:58 AM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I just wanted to chime in real quickly and say I don't think that was Craig's intent, to make it sound materialistic. If I'd been offered a treasure trove of really old optical stuff, I'd want to announce it here, too. None of my "real life" friends would appreciate my enthusiasm for this kind of stuff. A bunch of old cases? Nobody I know would be excited about that. But here, we all have this passion in common. I think that's all it was, and nothing more.

I'd still like to see pictures of those cases! =^)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Once again...crabs in a bucket.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The first optician that I ever worked for used to say, "If I can make a sales rep cry, I've made my day." And he meant it. It was horrible working for him; he insulted everyone and in the nastiest terms possible. I stayed just long enough to learn the basics and then bailed out.

My next job was working for Pat Sreenan at Suburban Optical in Dallas. He was so kind and helpful to everyone and was universally loved by reps, employees, and customers alike. When reps found out where I'd worked before, they would always express sympathy and say how lucky I was to escape that hell hole.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    I will not apologize for living my life and being rewarded financially. The more money I make allows me to do the things in life that are important to me and this requires no explanation to someone like yourself.
    Craig
    I am a worker bee, but more than appreciate the need for my bosses to make a profit. They should be allowed to make as much as they can, as they, like you, have put everything they have on the line to make their business a success.
    I guess it was just the title of your post that threw me a bit. I didn't mean to offend you, and I am happy for your recent windfalls. I showed this thread to my hubby, and he agrees that my reply was knee jerk, as well as judgmental.

Please accept my apology.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by CuriousCat View Post
    Once again...crabs in a bucket.
    And what, pray tell, is wrong with crabs in a bucket? When I lived in Virginia we'd drive up to the Inner Harbor in Baltimore and just eat crabs all day....

I didn't mean to imply that Craig is mean, materialistic, or anything of that nature. I think Craig's point was that most sales reps get beat up on fairly regularly, and that we should me nicer to them. Getting something back from them, as he said, is good karma, and pretty much just a bonus.

My point was simply to expand that to include being nice to everyone because we should (don't get me started on the problems of society, religion, and rewards).

I'm usually the first contact for lens reps to our lab, and I'm always nice to them, no matter who they are, or who they rep for. Well, at least right up until they raise their prices without telling me (the reverse is true also, if they're lowering their prices, I still need to know ahead of time. The last thing I need is to have accounting on my case). Although then I'm still usually pretty nice, I just don't buy anything from them anymore :)
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am a worker bee, but more than appreciate the need for my bosses to make a profit. They should be allowed to make as much as they can, as they, like you, have put everything they have on the line to make their business a success.
    I guess it was just the title of your post that threw me a bit. I didn't mean to offend you, and I am happy for your recent windfalls. I showed this thread to my hubby, and he agrees that my reply was knee jerk, as well as judgmental.

Please accept my apology.
    Thank You

Craig

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    And what, pray tell, is wrong with crabs in a bucket? When I lived in Virginia we'd drive up to the Inner Harbor in Baltimore and just eat crabs all day....
    Well, when I was growing up in Portsmouth, VA, we'd sit on the end of our pier with a chicken neck on a string and a net to catch 'em. Throw 'em in a bucket and watch them crawl all over each other to get to the top. It's my usual response to snarky responses from folks who are scrabbling for the "higher moral ground". Heaven forbid that we should congratulate someone on a success, either in business, education or anything else when it's so much easier to preach from that higher position.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Tee hee. I have to admit I couldn't decide if crabs in a bucket were a good thing or a bad thing!

I do want to say how enormously pleased I am at the way this thread is going. I had a comment I made on Facebook last week just blow up in my face. It was somewhat expected, coming from the person who made the retort, but then other friends (who were actually coming to my defense) just made it worse and we all looked like children. I'm thinking I got my main point across, and most of us were able to move on, but it got so ugly so fast. In an online forum, it's easy to say just whatever comes to mind, but everyone here has been civil and polite, even though there was a difference of opinions.

Kudos to everyone!

Thread Information