Thread: Something we don't do everyday.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Something we don't do everyday.

I had a patient request a moisture chamber last week. He said the refering MD told him I was the only one that could make it. Never mind its been almost 20 years since I have even seen one. Just mounted the lenses and thought I would share. Obviously the skirts will be trimmed down at the final dispense.

Now, off to make a chemestrie clip on a drill press... FUN! :hammer:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1021.jpg   IMG_1023.jpg   IMG_1022.jpg  
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer
    • Teacher of the art of crafting handmade eyewear.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by kcount View Post
    Obviously the skirts will be trimmed down at the final dispense.
    That's the fun part. A couple hints- keep the center thickness (if minus) high enough to minimize warpage. A new single edge blade works well for trimming the front. Trim the front last (in case you take off too much somewhere on the back). I've been trying to get the plastic from Eagle Vision but I'm told it's on indefinite BO.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've never heard of such a thing. Is this for every day wear? What are the sides made out of?

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper I've never heard of such a thing..............................

Quote Originally Posted by optilady1 View Post

I've never heard of such a thing. Is this for every day wear? What are the sides made out of?
    Moisture Chambers Can Help Protect Your Eyes

Does spending time outdoors, especially in wind, cause excruciating pain? Does even the mild breeze caused by walking across a room, imperceptible to people with healthy eyes, make your eyes feel as if they have been scraped with a rough brick or scorched by flame? If so, moisture chamber glasses or moisture chamber goggles, which have a chamber constructed around each eye, might help. A pair of moisture chamber glasses or goggles can provide the following protections:
    • Retains moisture to help keep the eye lubricated
    • Protects the eye from air movement
    • Protects the eye from dust, smoke, sprays, and other particulates

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Martellaro View Post
    That's the fun part. A couple hints- keep the center thickness (if minus) high enough to minimize warpage. A new single edge blade works well for trimming the front. Trim the front last (in case you take off too much somewhere on the back). I've been trying to get the plastic from Eagle Vision but I'm told it's on indefinite BO.
    Back order? They must have recieved some since I orderd the plastic from Eagle Vision. Took me a few moments to figure out where to get the plastic from. thankfully there's Google for such moments.

Optilady- The side skirts seems to be made from a silicone sheet. They come in rectangular sheets with a template that you cut them down to. The basic concept is, as Chris stated, to create a moisture rich microclimate behind the lenses.
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer
    • Teacher of the art of crafting handmade eyewear.

Master OptiBoarder Striderswife's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When I worked in the Optical department of a large ophthalmic practice, we had many patients come through with Bell's palsy. One of the symptoms is you can't shut your eye all the way closed. This results in dry eye. We sold moisture chambers in two styles: one kind had a clip that attached behind the patient's glasses lens, and the other was eye-patch style, with an elastic band that went around their heads. It was just a clear piece of plastic (more or less in the shape of a lens) with foam around the backside, like on motorcycle goggles. For the life of me, I can't remember where we got them. Franel, maybe? We sold a lot of them, but I'd never seen a "homemade" one! 8^)
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Are any on the instructors teaching how to do moisture chamber eyewear in schools, these days?

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Thread Information