Thread: ABO advanced certification

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Post ABO advanced certification

Hello all

I was just wondering if there are any advantages to becomming ABO-AC, and then later ABOM

also, I'd like to know of any recent candidates who passed the ABO-AC....what did you use to study?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yes there is an advantage. By preparing for advanced certification you improve your knowledge and skills. It doesn't necessarily mean you will make more money.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    you can get study material and register at nao.org.In a nutshell,ABO-AC is geared more toward the business aspects of opticals in general.
    ABOM is more formula and math oriented.
    If your already an optometrist I wouldn't bother with either

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by himmeroo View Post
    you can get study material and register at nao.org.In a nutshell,ABO-AC is geared more toward the business aspects of opticals in general.
    ABOM is more formula and math oriented.
    If your already an optometrist I wouldn't bother with either
    I am sorry, but the above quote is incorrect information. The ABOM certificate comes after successfully taking the advanced certification examination, and then writing what they refer to as a "thesis". There are questions on the advanced certification examination about business, but it covers far more than that.

When I hear someone ask if it is worth the effort, I wonder to myself if they place a value on knowledge. You are asking, so I feel you think it might be beneficial. It can be very helpful in many ways and is worth the effort. It sets you above those who do not acheive it. Go for it. You will be glad you did. Good luck!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    As has been pointed out - as an optometrist, if this is a personal inquiry, you're far better served with the education you've already received. If you are asking about the adv/masters as it relates to hiring dispensers for an office team, the question then becomes highly subjective. There are opticians who can sell - those who are book smart - those who have a great ability to problem solve and can handle any repair/machine with ease - and those who do all well (rare, but they're out there). There is no single test, license or certification that will guarantee you'll find all of these things in a given individual.

There have been several discussions here about effective means of vetting candidates for your office to find one that fits the individual needs you have - if that is indeed the information you're after given your original inquiry and stated occupation. If there is a different motivation, let us know. One thing OB will never be known for is a shortage of opinions!

Cheers

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    yes
    well thank you for the responses

I am looking for resources as an employer of opticians. I would like them to continue to advance in their skill and understanding. I have a couple who are ABOC already, and some who are not. I'd like to give an incentive for all to continue with their education. I have one optician who is always wanting to learn more...I thought that the ABO-AC would be a good place to look.

Before I was an OD, I also was an certified optician. I like the standard that it brings as well as the personal stretch it can create.

I am interested in possibly providing study courses for the AC for them as well as for for me (it would be good to know to what standard I should hold them accountable, and in so doing determine appropriate wages, and office standards )

if anyone has any good resources, or ideas, please let me know

thanks,

Dr. J :D

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    GOOD FOR YOU!! You are certainly in the minority of employers who are willing to recognize and support knowledge and skill! *waiting for collective OptiBoard standing ovation to fade...*

Keep supporting the ones who work hard to better themselves in whatever means fits - certification, licensure, otj training and skill, education etc.

The ABO is certainly a national standard at the least (sadly much changed and watered down from years past...) but still, it is at least a starting point. The advance and masters are the next steps along that particular path - but there is also the paraoptometric program, coa/cot training etc. Reward what works for your practice - and again WAY TO BE!! :) :cheers::cheers::cheers:

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why not go all in and have them register for online classes towards a degree in Ophthalmic Dispensing? You can find the programs at www.nfos.org.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    thank you all for the suggestions

back to the part of the original question

what would be 'good' study material in preparation for the abo advanced (ABO-AC)?

are there any recent candidates who have taken and passed this test? what did you use to study?

Thanks

Dr. J

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Dr. J,
    There are several guides available. Diane Drake and others have a nice study guide available at www.nao.org. Dr/ Roy Ferguson also has developed a guide you can pick up at www.oaa.org. Both wil be very helpful. There are also short courses available at the ABO/NCLE meeting coming up in Cincinnati.

Good luck,
    Dr. Mac

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I used the following:

Dictionary of Ophthalmic Optics
    Optical Formulas Stoner/Perkins
    NAO Masters Review
    20 years of experience

One thing that will help your practice is that you can boast that your opticians are in the top .10 % percent of all ABO opticians. Yes that is a decimal in front! Very rare certification in my opinion.
    Lee Prewitt, ABOM
    Independent Sales Representative
    AIT Industries
    224 W. James St.
    Bensenville, IL 60106
    Cell : (425) 241-1689
    Phone: (800) 729-1959, Ext 137
    Direct: (630) 274-6136
    Fax: (630) 595-1006
    www.aitindustries.com
    leep@aitindustries.com

More Than A Patternless Edger Company

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Prewitt View Post
    I used the following:

Dictionary of Ophthalmic Optics
    Optical Formulas Stoner/Perkins
    NAO Masters Review
    20 years of experience

One thing that will help your practice is that you can boast that your opticians are in the top .10 % percent of all ABO opticians. Yes that is a decimal in front! Very rare certification in my opinion.
    lee, I'm still on the lookout for some good references, the books i have found new are too expensive for what i'm trying to do.
    would you be willing to sell your old books?

Dr. J

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Just sent you a PM. I am keeping these babies for my reference library. You can find them all for under $50 total. Well worth the investment for any optician.
    Lee Prewitt, ABOM
    Independent Sales Representative
    AIT Industries
    224 W. James St.
    Bensenville, IL 60106
    Cell : (425) 241-1689
    Phone: (800) 729-1959, Ext 137
    Direct: (630) 274-6136
    Fax: (630) 595-1006
    www.aitindustries.com
    leep@aitindustries.com

More Than A Patternless Edger Company