Thread: "How wide is the near" ??? Duh.......

OptiBoard Professional skirk1975's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Angry "How wide is the near" ??? Duh.......

"How wide is the near" ?

How do you all answer this stupid, ridiculous question?

Whether it's the patient asking the optician or the doctor asking the sales rep.

Grrrr..........

:shiner:

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    For progressives to the patient "A small page area."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This is not a "stupid question", and an often neglected fuctionality of presbyopic eyewear.

The answer is only limited to---the limitations created by lens design, power influence, and dispenser skill.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by uncut View Post
    This is not a "stupid question", and an often neglected fuctionality of presbyopic eyewear.

The answer is only limited to---the limitations created by lens design, power influence, and dispenser skill.
    +1

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Or you could just say, "4". For no good reason.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Well, are they asking how wide the near vision area in the lens is, or what their field of view will be looking through the lens? The former I would say is a silly question, since there's really no way to measure it accurately in a retail enviornment, while the latter is a very important question that does need to be answered.
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    Or you could just say, "4". For no good reason.
    I thought the answer was 42....
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

OptiBoard Professional skirk1975's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

NOT an answer

A small page width.

These are NOT answers. Certainly not the answers people are looking for when they ask the question. They want some answer like, 11mm or something. My point here is that there is NO ANSWER to this. People should think about this and stop asking.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I know, Capt. Kirk....but I'm still at work...so while I munch on a sandwich......

Each manufacturer used to produce graphic illustrations about their lenses, but fell silent as more and more lenses were created for the "vertically challenged" fashions of the Zeros.

They are now longer proud to state the obvious.

The consumer wouldn't buy them if they were shown a schematic of the brand they were wearing. I see these almost daily, and the chief complaint is width and/or absence of intermediate.

To the general public......When I see your RX, and what you are currently functioning with....I will help you decide which brand/material mix that gives you the best vision for your occupation/lifestyle....and this may mean more than one pair.

Doc askin' sales rep......... Well doc....heres a topography map of a plano with a +1.00 add, a plano with a +2.50 add, and sample lenses of our brand. (Hand him/her a mm ruler) If you wish even more technical information, I will be glad to source it for you.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Not to mention that the near is variable according to both vertex distance and distance from work, as well as by lens design. There is no set answer.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Thread Information