Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: at what point did you realize you might be old?

Barticus Prime - Optibot opticianbart's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

at what point did you realize you might be old?

For me it was the other day at the mall on a Friday night and it was all I could do to not start telling the teenagers around me to stop being so loud, to be polite, to pull their pants up, and good lord those are crazy looking clothes - why can't you dress like a normal person...

It's only a matter of time before I start yelling for them to get off my lawn.

(And I'm not even 30 yet - what's wrong with me?)
    Bart Smith, continuing to be awesome since 1982 so that you don't have to.

Love is a duet, each voice complementing each other and making them sound better than they would alone, each voice at times stepping back and letting the other shine. We've got a pretty good duet going Tina.

On April 28th, I'll be marrying my best friend. I can't wait!

Master OptiBoarder Striderswife's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Tee hee. I've felt like this for a loooong time. Hindsight is always 20/20, but looking back, it was probably in my late 20's. My BFF is 2 1/2 years older than I, so she hit 30 before I did. But because of her, I felt like I was "almost 30" for a long time, so it wasn't a big deal when I finally reached it. But I remember realizing I was glad I'm not in high school, or even a teenager anymore. I was never down with current styles; I was always a jeans and T-shirt gal. But what's cool now is just absurd!

My motto (I guess) for a long time has been "I'm too young to feel this old." :/
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    1994. Sitting in a Roy Rogers, shortly after The Lion King was released. A father was telling his son about the actors that did the voices for the characters. He mentioned that James Earl Jones had done the voice of Mufasa, and was also the person who did Darth Vader's voice. His son's resonse: "Who's Darth Vader?"

I was only 20......
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    OLD??? I'm still waiting to feel like a grownup. Maybe I missed that day, and went right back to quirky.

Occupation
    "You're only young once, but you can always be immature." - Dave Barry
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by opticianbart View Post
    For me it was the other day at the mall on a Friday night and it was all I could do to not start telling the teenagers around me to stop being so loud, to be polite, to pull their pants up, and good lord those are crazy looking clothes - why can't you dress like a normal person...

It's only a matter of time before I start yelling for them to get off my lawn.

(And I'm not even 30 yet - what's wrong with me?)
    I'm in the same boat! I'm 28 and I do the EXACT same thing. In fact, a few weeks ago was my bachelorette party and of course we went out to a few local bars. I sat there the whole time asking myself, is THIS what I acted like when I was 21? Is THIS how I dressed when I was 21? I know it's only a few years difference but WOW! :bbg:

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    It was a Thursday.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    About 10 years ago when inch long hairs appeared in the morning mirror on my eyebrows and ears that were not there the night before.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It was a point on my lower back. It started making me do the old man walk like my father when I would get out of bed in the morning.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    It was a Thursday.
    "It must be Thursday. I never could get the hang of Thursdays." ~Arthur Dent

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Can't be any worse than what us straight, workin folks thought about the worthless hippies.

Chip

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Just now. Thanks a lot.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    @op......opticianbart! You are maturing!

You know you're getting old when:
    1) The same song has been #1 on the Charts..............the fourth time around(and you like Version #2 by the Bee Gees the best)
    2) You spend more time in front of the mirror......plucking hairs from orfices on your face(that seem to grow faster and longer than the hair on your head)
    3) Old ladies trust you and don't call you Sonny anymore.
    4) You kinda blend into the woodwork(which also looks faded and in need of new varnish)
    5) A second glance at you by a young woman makes you check to see if you forgot to pull your zipper up!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Or when you're 28 and plucking out multiple gray hairs out of the side of your head every day :(

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by NeGlassesGirl27 View Post
    Or when you're 28 and plucking out multiple gray hairs out of the side of your head every day :(
    I found my first white hair when I was 24 (and going through one of those major life-changing events), and have plucked each one I'd find since then. Well, a few months ago, I was inspired by one of the gals at my office. She is actually a lot older than I percieve her, but she has all the maturity and wisdom of a woman who is her age. I just see her as a little bit older than I. Anyway, by watching her, I've been able to appreciate my own age (33), and the experience I have over the "early-twenties" of the office. I've made the conscious decision to stop plucking those white hairs. And yeah, they're multiplying faster than I'd thought they would, but each one is a trophy.

Becoming a mom has totally contributed to the volume of white hairs, but I'm at the point where I grow them with pride! Do I sound empowered, or what?? Yeah, I'm totally not like that. I'm just learning to embrace my age. 8^)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Listening to a lot of "Oh,oh, I'm OLD" crap from people half my age is, itself, aging.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I won't say I'm old, but the day I turned 30, my fat decided to really dig in. Used to be able to lose 10 pounds in a month by avoiding xyz. Now I have to give up the whole freaking alphabet to lose one pound.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optilady1 View Post
    I won't say I'm old, but the day I turned 30, my fat decided to really dig in. Used to be able to lose 10 pounds in a month by avoiding xyz. Now I have to give up the whole freaking alphabet to lose one pound.
    Tee hee. That happened to me starting around my birthday last summer. Around Thanksgiving, I realized the jeans I'd bought almost a year ago didn't fit (hello, muffin top!). So much for being able to eat whatever I want and not exercise. B^P

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When my patients started calling me Mr. Anderson, instead of Chip. This when I was about 23.

Chip

P.S.

Just wait until you start fitting the children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren of the teenagers you fit earlier in your practice.
    Last edited by chip anderson; 04-19-2011 at 09:31 AM. Reason: PS

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    when a good looking college kid came in last week and I realized that I fit him in glasses when he was still in grade school.....sigh..........

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    or......when I finally realized that small 2- seater convertibles were too much trouble to get in and out of anymore and bought my first "adult" sized car...another sigh...................

Bad address email on file k12311997's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by WFruit View Post
    1994. Sitting in a Roy Rogers, shortly after The Lion King was released. A father was telling his son about the actors that did the voices for the characters. He mentioned that James Earl Jones had done the voice of Mufasa, and was also the person who did Darth Vader's voice. His son's resonse: "Who's Darth Vader?"

I was only 20......

my experience was also Star Wars related, late teens sitting on the couch with my girlfriend watching Star Wars the first time it was on HBO ( back when there was only one channel of HBO) we were talking about how that was the first "Event" movie we saw in the theaters and her younger brother with the awe reserved for meeting the President said "you saw Star Wars at the movies?"

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optilady1 View Post
    Now I have to give up the whole freaking alphabet to lose one pound.
    +1...I'm in the same boat! :p

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Last summer when my oldest turned 18.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by skt View Post
    when a good looking college kid came in last week and I realized that I fit him in glasses when he was still in grade school.....sigh..........
    The young girl I fit when she was in Junior High is now the Chief of Police in our neighboring town of 100,000.

The day for me was the first time they gave me a Senior Discount for my morning coffee @ Dunkin Donuts.

Thread Information