Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Latent hyperope issue

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You will find the slight over-plus was the issue, not the lens design. Changing to this design and the change in power will solve her problem, but I suspect there are many designs that would suffice with the correct Rx. Good luck!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well I don't know what the previous post had to do with anything else in this thread but I do have the results of the latest change. The Dr. ended up reducing the plus by .25 diopter. We used the Essilor anti-fatigue lens which has +.60 "add" built into the bottom of the lens. She has worn them for about 10 days now and is fairly happy. The distance is great and the glare issues are gone even though the lens material is poycarb. She is still not thrilled with the near but was not given good instructions when she picked them up (I was gone that day). Overall she is happier than any of the other lenses she has tried throughout this latest round of stronger rx's. Am I sold on the "Anti-fatigue" lens. Not really but I will need to see a few more in action. I will add anything new if it comes up.

P.S. Just finished watching Boston shut out the Canucks. I'm not a big Vancouver fan and am pulling for one of the original 8. GO BOSTON!!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Ammyidm View Post
    Ophthalmic suspension will be satisfactory. Generic For FML 0.1% 5ML SOLN (Fluorometholone) is used to treat inflammation in the eye caused such as allergies, and infections.
    hmmmm...

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why did you stick with poly? I had a patient that just today who had issues with both Poly and trivex. Different issues but each had effect of making most of the eye chart un-readable.
    When you know a product or material has issues, why try to technology around the problem?

Chip

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well I had a series of problems to deal with. First I wasn't sure the material was the problem. I was always suspicious of the rx, and being a new employee at this office I was mostly following Dr orders. she had worn poly for about 10 years without trouble, we tried trivex without any better results which pretty much led us back to the rx. So everyone has their pet materials favorite lens designs etc. just how many lenses are you willing to throw at a problem hoping to solve an issue when the exact problem is not even known. I felt the solution chosen, given the the issues I had no control over, gave us a chance to resolve the issues. The results although not as overwhelmingly positive as I had hoped for has the patient happier than anything we have tried up to this point.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Technology won't help a bad Rx.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Every case that I have thought to be latent hyperopia has required more not less plus after a short period of wear. Especially true in contact lens patients.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Pelican View Post
    Of course her distance is not as sharp Bruce
    I think you are trying to solve too many issues at once. If he distance is not as sharp straight on, you probably have power issues. Warren's points are good too, she may not be a latent hyperope. Most OD's rarely do wet and dry refractions on an adult patient, and even if she was, over correcting distance to solve a reading issue will not work in 6 months to a year, so if you fix it now with expensive SV she will be back soon even angrier. The progressive is the best choice really, it will last her longer.

Thread Information