Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I qualify to become an American Dispensing Optician in Florida

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

How do I qualify to become an American Dispensing Optician in Florida

Hi,

Have posted on here a few times, with general queries, and found some helpful stuff, but since then, things have changed.

I am currently living in the UK, and am engaged to my american girlfriend. she is ideally wanting to move to Florida next year.

Ideally I would wish to have a job sorted before I moved out there. And ideally would have my current role.

Where am i able to find out what qualifications i would need to be a D.O over in Florida? and how do I go about qualifying? is it something I am able to do long distance?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A friendly word of advice, there is a reason EyeManFla (that's me) is now in North Carolina. There are no decent jobs. Till you get your LDO, you have to compete with a lot of unemployed LDOs who haven't had decent jobs in years. And it will take you awhile to get your LDO.

Good luck!!!!!!!
    "Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde"

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Come to Texas where all you need is a pulse!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Top of the morning to ya!!!
    Okay, all the replies that were given here are very true, Florida is quickly becoming a Optical saturated market, fillled with ( unemployables; underemployed; newbies; and "the curious"-" why do we need pd's again???") for sure... I am currently employed as an LDO- in the sunshine state-, with one of the local chains here....I am a transplant from Texas......So during my 4 yrs here, what i have come to notice for example, The big chains are only interested in your selling skills. Forget Optical Knowledge and Licenses..These two items are like incidenatals in the pipeline today. Your optical side stands secondary to your selling skills in the sunshine state.. Remember you heard it here first..... But i digress.... So as far as how you begin, i recommend you go to this website:http://www.pof.org . Take care.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Actually, if you could find a high end optical operation in Florida, I'm sure that having an English accent, and being able actually speak the language properly would hold you in good stead in the right business.
    Rightly or wrongly an optician selling high end optical products would have just enough snob appeal to sell to the more sophisticated clientele.

Chip

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    i am lucky that I am a really good at sales... its why the opticians I work for put me forward for the course.

Thanks for all the pointes everyone!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    so can some correct me of I am wrong, to be classed a 'dispensing optician', all i need to do is sit the ABO exams, which cost $150, and appears to be a multiple choice exam? then apply to the Professional Opticians of Florida, for my licence? or am I missing something?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by t_appletart View Post
    so can some correct me of I am wrong, to be classed a 'dispensing optician', all i need to do is sit the ABO exams, which cost $150, and appears to be a multiple choice exam? then apply to the Professional Opticians of Florida, for my licence? or am I missing something?
    Yep your missing a lot. POF does not give the exam......The State Of Florida does. So do you want a State License? Then you go sit for the American Board of Opticianry Exam then the National Contact Lens exam put in 6240 apprentice hours or go sit through two years of college. Only then will you be qualified to sit for the Florida State Board Exam and only then in the State of Florida can you call yourself a Optician. I know these things because I have had my license here in Florida pushing close to 30 years now.
    Best of luck to you.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    so it makes know difference at all that I am fully qualified in the UK, i have to start all over again?

So common sense would say that I would be taking a huge pay cut to move across to the states?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    so it makes know difference at all that I am fully qualified in the UK, i have to start all over again?

So common sense would say that I would be taking a huge pay cut to move across to the states?
    That is correct. There is another way to become licensed.

Actively Practiced in Another State, Territory, or Jurisdiction of the United States for: Five (5) of the Last Seven (7) Years + ABO +NCLE. Then you are eligible to sit for the Florida licensure exam.

There is no provision for those practicing in other countries.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi,

Have posted on here a few times, with general queries, and found some helpful stuff, but since then, things have changed.

I am currently living in the UK, and am engaged to my american girlfriend. she is ideally wanting to move to Florida next year.

Ideally I would wish to have a job sorted before I moved out there. And ideally would have my current role.

Where am i able to find out what qualifications i would need to be a D.O over in
    Florida? and how do I go about qualifying? is it something I am able to do long
    distance?

Come to NY they will take anybody. Once had a guy on a training permit with a doctor who signed his training permit and another optician. Point being you must be in the same store to be able to train. Needless to say the optician who signed the permit worked about 55 miles away and the doctor worked 15 miles away. Even though they were told about this New York opticians association did nothing and the guy was given a license. :hammer:

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Does anyone know about Colorado? That was another option for the Mrs and I.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Come to Mississippi, no qualifications, no license needed at all. You must speak Redneck and Ebonics in addittion to English though.

Chip

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well, My Mrs family is in Mississippi, so that was an option, but surely no qualifications, no license, means awful pay? I at the moment, take home approx $36,000 a year. I wouldn't even come close to that would I?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you want to have a position waiting for you, contact Charisse at www.imatters.net. She may be able to help.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You could do what all the other emmigrants do, let the America wife work and live off US government benfits. A little work on the side (tax free) combined with the benefits should get you by just fine.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Really, Chip???

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well, My Mrs family is in Mississippi, so that was an option, but surely no qualifications, no license, means awful pay? I at the moment, take home approx $36,000 a year. I wouldn't even come close to that would I?

You'll make at least this if not more in Houston.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Here's a link that will tell you which states require licenses and which don't. It doesn't tell you what the qualifications are though. It gives you contact info for every state board and their websites.

http://www.oaa.org/index.php?id=24

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by gmc View Post
    Here's a link that will tell you which states require licenses and which don't. It doesn't tell you what the qualifications are though. It gives you contact info for every state board and their websites.

http://www.oaa.org/index.php?id=24
    thats brilliant, thanks!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Nebraska will take anyone also, but with my ABO i make nearly $40,000.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    would you say the ABO was easy to sit? what kind of stuff is involved?

I have done 3 years of university, and also sat practical exams. havent done too much with contact lenses though

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I can pretty well tell you that with few exceptions license doesn't make much difference in salary. It's just another tax to pay. Generally salary will vary just on location (state, city, etc.) You can make from $20,00 to $ 75,00 here and in some states this would not be enough to get by.
    Some years back my son was looking into moving to California, the jobs there paid a lot more. But he found that he needed to make $150,000 to live the same as $35,000 here.

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you are a competent optician the ABO is very easy. Actually way too easy. It tests very minimal standards, not competency.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    would you say the ABO was easy to sit? what kind of stuff is involved?

I have done 3 years of university, and also sat practical exams. havent done too much with contact lenses though
    The ABO was ridiculously easy, you will do just fine!

Thread Information