Thread: edge polish

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

edge polish

hey guys quick question.

i tend to do edge polish on all jobs. doesnt matter what rx it is unless a pt for what ever reason denies it or request it not be done.

one of our dr's just suggested i not do it unless on hi rx for fear of being audited from vsp. is there any professional documentation i can show her supporting the need for edge polish on all rx's or that doing so will not get us "in trouble"?

any help would be appreciated.

not to crazy about doctor telling me "HOW" to charge.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't really know what to say to this, well, actually I do.:D From this post, I get the feeling that most of your jobs are VSP. Since I don't know anything about their payments or VSP in general, I also surmise that they somehow pay to polish an edge, thus the "want" to polish every job, whether needed or not, for the $$$. A simple -1.00 in a zyl frame needs an edge polish? Really.

It's so funny how some sell their own practice to the insurance company and then become afraid of them, like they control them. Opps, my fault, I guess they really do control them as they tell them what to charge, what they can make, and how to do an exam and make glasses. Opps again, as you don't really get to make the eyewear, only order it, like I get to do with medicaid here in NC.:o That would explain the upsell on the insurance claims.

As to "not to crazy about doctor telling me how to charge", get your own business if you can't take direction or don't like what the boss says. It's a simple concept, Her name is on the door, and yours isn't, and most things roll down hill, get used to it.

Last comment, don't do anything during the day that might make you not sleep at night.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So you edge polish because you think it finishes all your jobs nicely whether they paid for it or not or you edge polish all of your VSP jobs and then bill it to VSP? Which is it?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We strongly discourage edge polish, due to the fact it increases reflections. We almost never sell Poly, which many labs recommend edge polish on. We sell 1.6 mr8 because it doesnt require an edge polish.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post

It's so funny how some sell their own practice to the insurance company and then become afraid of them, like they control them. Opps, my fault, I guess they really do control them as they tell them what to charge, what they can make, and how to do an exam and make glasses. Opps again, as you don't really get to make the eyewear, only order it, like I get to do with medicaid here in NC.:o That would explain the upsell on the insurance claims.

Wow OBX, your post was made me teary eyed for some of the old time posters I used to read like Fezz, Jeff Trail, MarcE, and some of the other "late greats". Thanks for not holding back, and telling it like it is!
    :cheers:

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I only do a satin polish at best on rimless jobs. A high polish only increases internal reflections, as Mike stated. And if they're paying for a high-dollar AR to decrease reflections, why go and increase them? Yeah, they look good to look at, but not so much to look through.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My rule of thumb is to polish only if the lenses will be exposed out of the frame. Let me ask this...How many times has someone complained that they weren't polished vs someone complaining about reflections? Personally, I've seen way more complaints about reflections.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Edge polishing reduces the optical efficiency of the lense by introducing reflections from the edge of the lense. If you examine high-precision optical systems the lense edges are finished flat black. I used to edge polish all of my drilled rimless, I only do so if the pat. requests. I do however run the lenses on the buffing side of my wheel to give sort of a "finished" buffed sheen, but not shiny or transparent.
    Clinton Tower

The intellect to live free is in short supply
    ALT248=°

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Edge polishing is a cosmetic option. Certain jobs look better polished, even if they are "thick". Case by case basis. Edge pen is always ready.

B

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When I first opened, I did a free edge polish on all jobs, thinking this would make us appear a step above our compeditors. I had far too many complaints about glare (including from one of my favorite ophthalmologists on his personal glasses). Now I do this only when requested.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yea. I had the same problem, when I got my first cap gun......went around firing at everything and everybody.....until I snuck up behind my Dad who didn't appreciate being scared out of his wits, while working on an electric cattle fence....................

I never saw that cap gun agin.

uncut

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I polish edges on exposed lenses and very high Rx's. However, on a high Rx, I don't like a full polish, just a gloss look, that way it doesn't create too much added reflection.
    I came, I saw, I left

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by gogetter View Post
    hey guys quick question.

i tend to do edge polish on all jobs. doesnt matter what rx it is unless a pt for what ever reason denies it or request it not be done.

one of our dr's just suggested i not do it unless on hi rx for fear of being audited from vsp. is there any professional documentation i can show her supporting the need for edge polish on all rx's or that doing so will not get us "in trouble"?

any help would be appreciated.

not to crazy about doctor telling me "HOW" to charge.
    Are you the person ordering the vsp jobs, because then the patients are paying for it because the lab won't do it without it being on the order. So the Dr shouldn't have a problem then. If you are the lab person then I guess the Dr would have a point because that's a seperate charge.

I poo poo the high luster polish too. I like a nice satin finish though, that looks nice.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    VSP almost always pays for a satin edge polish on the plans we see. High luster is another matter. Are you adding a high luster polish to everything or satin through the VSP?

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Do you or VSP have a different price on high luster or satin polish. Odd, same labour involved. Guess I really am behind the times.

Chip

ABO-AC, NCLE-AC, LDO-NV bob_f_aboc's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think VSP considers a 'satin' polish to be a automated polish from the edger, while a 'high-luster' polish is considered a hand polish.

At least this is how my lab explained it to me.
    A lack of planning on your part DOES NOT constitute an emergency on mine!

Thread Information