Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Was I wrong ?..

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused Was I wrong ?..

So i got into a bit of an argument today, two young girls came in today one of them bought contacts, her friend immediately started telling her to go the place she goes because they give free contact lens solution. At first I kind of ignored it then she said the same thing again and then I explained to her friend that when we get Free samples from the companies we also offer Free solution or its usually for new fits. At this point the conversations should've been finished but her friend was begin persistent then she says facing her friend ' well its a rip off, go to my place next time'. This kind of broke my patience i said listen you dont have to say its a rip off while i'm standing right in front you, i'm nither stupid nor deaf, she's like well I'm not talking to you i'm talking to my friend, i said well i'm right here and you are putting my business down calling us rip offs. They walked out and calling me an ******* and saying if I heard that too, I almost wanted to walk towards them but I ignored them. So was I wrong in this sitution should i have kept my mouth shut or not ?

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I hope you like butter, because when this board gets done with you, you're going to be toast.

Yes, at times like that, you need to just close your mouth and walk away.
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You might have used the situation to let both of them know why your location is superior to the friend's location. (And give her some solution. Don't you get starter kits n/c?)

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Maybe she wanted to test you to see if she could come back and ask for a free PD measurement

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    You might have used the situation to let both of them know why your location is superior to the friend's location. (And give her some solution. Don't you get starter kits n/c?)

we do get starter kits but we are out of them at the moment i'm not gonna give free solution just because her friend is saying it, in fact if she asked me nicely i would've given her given her a discount.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by WFruit View Post
    I hope you like butter, because when this board gets done with you, you're going to be toast.

Yes, at times like that, you need to just close your mouth and walk away.
    thats ok I dont mind being told when I wrong... so let the flaming begin!

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I don't think you went way overboard, but I think situations like this are just best off ignored. I would have politely told the girl being fit that you are a professional service and you are willing to work with her, but if she wants to go to her friend's place, then she is free to go.

We all know what her friend is, but I am not going to say it here. I think it is safe to assume that you do not want to do business with her friend, and if the girl feels the same way, then you do not want to do business with her. So it is just best to avoid an argument and let them go in a way where you can save face.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Believe me, I learned the hard way, burn no bridges. Amoung other things now your establisment can be badmouthed on facebook and God knows what other things on the net.

Chip

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    at the same time, you are clearly upset about this. The girls are also clearly upset, and they do not seem to be intelligent enough to realize that they were in the wrong.

So who won here? No one.

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I don't feel that you should've walked away without an appropriate response, because doing so would simply reinforce the opinion being expressed by your patient's friend while also leaving yourself feeling demoralized over the encounter.

At the same time, I can't think of many circumstances in which it is ever appropriate to respond in an insulting or derogatory manner to a customer. There is generally a tactful way to respond to almost anything.

Your response in a situation like that could always begin by pointing out politely that you feel your practice offers excellent value by delivering the high quality products with expert service at affordable prices, as Optical24/7 alluded to in an earlier post.

And, honestly, unless the contact lens solution has a high wholesale cost, I would've seriously considered just giving it to your patient, while commenting that doing so wasn't a bad idea. But I'm a big advocate of patient retention.

Best regards,
    Darryl
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yes, she was rude and it probably felt good to tell her off. But it would have been better to just laugh and give her some sample solution.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I like to engage in conversation and would have asked the one saying she gets free solution, what office she goes to, then steal her away from the other office. I would have offered to clean her glasses, tight up screws etc.. ask what insurance she has, and I would explain that our office offers superior service and our hours are convenient for our patients etc... If getting a free bottle of solution is her number one priority in an office then heck I got that beat and would have given her a business card and a bottle of lens cleaner, cleaning cloth. :) the ol' honey/vinegar thing

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Young women can be stupid. You can't tell them anything, you will never be right, you will NEVER win. What you should have done (In my opinion), was given her something (if you had it in stock), and then come to Optiboard and vented to us. You could have given a dissertation on the value of your practice, and the only thing they would have been thinking about is how many calories was in the cigarette they just smoked. Let it go, and in the future don't be rude to people even when they are rude to you.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Old women can be stupid too. Some people (for some reason) love to trash the retail establishment they are in. How many time have I heard "really you should go to ABC Optical they have better frames, or better prices, or free solution. It raises my hackles but I keep my mouth shut.

As far as "free solution" goes, I give lots away (not just to new fits) since the vendors always send more than we can handle. If they don't you can request more you know. A nice shopping bag with a few sample boxes of solution and a some rewetting drops go a long way towards customer perception of your business. Everyone remembers a freebie.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'll take the other side of this one, and say let them go. Can't ever be all things to all people, don't even try. I have only done optical for over 35 years, and I have to say I can't really think of another business that kisses a@@ as much as most do in this industry. I also can't think of another industry that continues to cheapen and barter its "professional" services as we do, and feel like you have to give things away, even when they only cost a little, to not p### someone off. You people actually want these morons back in your office?

We want to be professionals, yet we act like a street vendor selling knock-off watches or purses in NYC, seriously. Anyone get any thing free from the car dealer, after the 90 dollar an hour labor charge to fix something??

I am all for patient retention, but I also have my standards.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    We want to be professionals, yet we act like a street vendor selling knock-off watches or purses in NYC
    We *are* talking about contact lenses here... Can't you actually buy those from street vendors in NYC? ;)

Best regards,
    Darryl
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I always hate it when a patients friend stirs things up but you should have just said that you would have been more then happy to give her some solution. You could have pointed out that it is free to you anyway.That would have been the better thing to do. If they really made you mad you could have given her some clear care and not given any instructions.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Meister View Post
    We *are* talking about contact lenses here... Can't you actually buy those from street vendors in NYC? ;)

Best regards,
    Darryl
    That makes us as "professional" as we perceive them to be, street vendors.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    yeah, we give all kinds of stuff away. We aren't a car dealership, or some other kind of retail business. I don't know why we do it, but we do. I'll happily give away a free case or an extra bottle of solution to shut-up some one rude. Sometimes all it takes is a free bottle of solution or a 45 cent case to win someone over. Why get upset about someone expecting something from me? Even if we can't make everyone happy, and we won't retain every patient who ever purchased from us, being the better person make's them the fool and makes you feel better.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optilady1 View Post
    Why get upset about someone expecting something from me?
    Let me insert the word "free" in that sentence, and then think about your response. Do you stop and give to every street bum that is looking for donations or food? Every charity?? Many people expect different things, and I can't be the one to provide for their needs, just because they "expect" something for free or they will complain, as it won't happen in my office.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    That makes us as "professional" as we perceive them to be, street vendors
    While I was obviously being facetious, keep in mind that most contact lenses nonetheless represent a mass-produced, low-profit product that requires only minimal professional expertise to dispense, once the initial fitting and training consultations are over. Providing refills generally involves little more than confirming a few details before handing the patient the box. Many consumers even expect to order their refills online nowadays.

Anyone get any thing free from the car dealer...
    I'm not sure about the car dealerships in other states, but the dealerships around here give away all sorts of stuff with the purchase of a vehicle, from gasoline cards to cash. It's a highly competitive market. And, if you even mention checking out another dealership during the course of the conversation, they are often quick to sweeten the deal even further.

Best regards,
    Darryl
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Meister View Post
    While I was obviously being facetious, keep in mind that most contact lenses nonetheless represent a mass-produced, low-profit product that requires only minimal professional expertise to dispense, once the initial fitting and training consultations are over. Providing refills generally involves little more than confirming a few details before handing the patient the box. Many consumers even expect to order their refills online nowadays.

Best regards,
    Darryl
    Got the tongue in cheek thing.

I also get that contact lenses are a commodity thing, and will be forever. The origional post was about getting something "free" with their purchase from a professional, who is supposed to have some clue as to what they are doing versus buying from XZY. Professionals do not give away their services or products, period. If you choose to, that's your decision, just don't be really dis-appointed when you can't compete with giving away freebies, and you have no concept of professionalism, and have no bussiness left.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Have you never been to the doctor and asked if he had a sample of the medicine he prescribed you? Does is lessen him if he gives it away ? Giving a patient a bottle of solution will not be the end of opticians.It will at the very least ensure your patient is cleaning there contacts and not reusing the old solution or heaven forbid using water or saliva.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post
    Let me insert the word "free" in that sentence, and then think about your response. Do you stop and give to every street bum that is looking for donations or food? Every charity?? Many people expect different things, and I can't be the one to provide for their needs, just because they "expect" something for free or they will complain, as it won't happen in my office.

we're not talking about every instance in the entire world here. We're talking about patients coming to your store, hopefully spending some money, and you 'thanking' them which either something we got for free or something we purchase in mass for really cheap to give to our patients. In our profession it's something we do to keep the people coming back.

These two dumb girls were obviously annoying and clearly were exhibiting bad manners. So I say give them the solution to make them go away. People abuse the freebie concept all the time, and I'd be a real crank if it upset me every day.

I totally agree with you that people expect way to much for free, and if you choose not to give stuff away, that's fine. All I was saying was don't let it bother you so much.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would have just told her our office was out of solution samples but offered to call her when we got some more. Just to show that our office wasn't in some way "lacking" because we didn't give her free solution. A few months ago we went through a spell where we ran out of Opti-Free kits and people were just so obnoxious and offended that they didn't get those freebies when they picked up their lenses. Yes, we give kits to new fits and to people picking up refill orders. It's a bit ridiculous, but it is a standard of operation we set ourselves in our office, so I understood why they were disappointed.
    Not to excuse the friend behavior, but as we are all witness every day, personal manners and decorum are rapidly a thing of the past. Just shrug it off.

Thread Information