Thread: ABO - ABOM Finder

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Question ABO - ABOM Finder

I am a Navy optometrist who moves every 2-3 years. We make glasses for active duty but all others need to execute their Rx's out in town. After a couple of years I usually have a fair idea of the quality level of the local opticians. By then it is time to hitch my wagon and move on. I have always been an optics enthusiast so I do not shy away from prism, slab off, and modifying BC and thickness to reduce aniseikonia so dealing with a skilled optician is important.

I am not allowed to specifically recommend patients go to a particular optician but if I had a list of a few folks who had a certification that assured that my patient would not end up in the hands of an OJT with little experience or desire to excel in opticianry that would help. I know that some of the best opticians are not ABO certified, and some that are certified are not the best opticians, but as a general rule I assume that those certified are of a better quality.

I looked at the ABO website and no such resource exists. Too bad. Anyone have any recommendations for excellent opticians in the Maryland/DC/Virginia area?

Kevin

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Although the Guild does seem to provide CE, the organization seems to be more business related than focused on certification of skills. That being said the only practice that I know of on the list is also the best optician in the area so interest in the profession does likely translate to a certain extent.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Dr. Jackson,
    I am sorry to say there is no such list, but I can tell you that you have come to a source here who can make recommendations. When you go to a new duty station, check in and you can find the answer to your question.

I cannot tell you have very pleased I am to read your post. Often, Opticians are not recognized for the expertise and it is generally assumed that one is as good as the other, which is not the case. You will find many allies here who will help you to develop such a list as you move from place to place. A new group is now forming, the Society to Advance Opticianry, that will be developing a list of those with higher-level backgrounds, but we are not quite there yet.

Where are you headed next, if you know? We will develop a solid list for you. The knowledge, skills and abilities of Opticians across the country vary widely. Only 22 states license Opticians and all have different education and training requirements. That makes it difficult to find a provider who can handle difficult patients appropriately, but I can guarantee, we will know them and how to reach them. Call on us.

Thanks again for your post, and recognition of the value of Opticians. We can bring a lot to the table.

Warren McDonald, PhD

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Dr. Jackson,
    I am a license optician in northern VA. area,also a member of the Society to Advance Opticianry. I have over thirty years experence in the optical industry.
    I work in Alexandria for Advanced Eye Care as the managing optician for a group of MD's.

I can fill the needs of your patient eye glasses or contacts and have them to return to you as your patient. If there is change in your patient Rx will remake at n/c ninety days from date of dispensed.

Thank you

Don Price ABO/ NCLE
    Donald D Price

Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Optical Educator
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi Dr. Jackson,

Ditto to Warren and KCount,

Thank you for your inquiry, it is so great that you are looking out for your patients in all parts of the USA. : ) (and, of course, THANK YOU for your service to our country.)

We (the National Federation of Opticianry Schools) and other opticals here on Optiboard have very close connections with NOSTRA in the opticianry department as well as other ABOM's and highly skilled and educated opticians.

The ABO printed out a list of ABOM's to display at last year's ABO/NCLE Optician's Conference in Ohio last fall. If you email www.abo-ncle.com and ask for Barbara Head she may have the national list in a file.

Additionally, if you contact the NFOS www.nfos.org you will find a list of the opticianry colleges, which may also lead to referrals.

Finally, as Warren mentioned, our new organization, the Society to Advance Opticianry is in the final stages of getting our house in order, and will launch and enroll new members at the upcoming ABO/NCLE conference in Cinn OH in September. We are gaining positive momentum and will have an additional list of the opticians who have the skill sets for the follow up care of your patients.

Looking forward to following you/your patients around the country,

: )

Laurie

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    The ABO printed out a list of ABOM's to display at last year's ABO/NCLE Optician's Conference in Ohio last fall. If you email www.abo-ncle.com and ask for Barbara Head she may have the national list in a file.
    I'm surprised that the ABO hasn't already made this list available online as a searchable database in order to promote a value-added benefit of the advanced certification as well as to promote ABO certifications, in general, to prospective eyewear consumers.

Best regards,
    Darryl
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Wow,

I am thrilled with the many helpful responses. I sent off to the ABO-NCLE (but careful about the web address as it is .org not .com) and I am hopeful regarding obtaining the list. If I am permitted by them I will attach the list to a post. I am looking in the NFOS contacts, and I look forward to the Society to Advance Opticianry. I am currently practicing in the DC metro area.

All the best,

Kevin

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    All,

So far no response from ABO-NCLE. I have resent my email and remain hopeful.

Kevin

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Don't kid yourself - the ABO is just about as self-serving an 'organization' as they come. SO long as the dues keep pouring in, they're happy - and that's where their loyalty to industry and individual ENDS. Sad to say this is mirrored by a number of optical organizations...both old and new.

Thread Information