Thread: Vision Source Houston meeting

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Vision Source Houston meeting

Just curious if any Optiboards that belong to Vision Source are going to the meeting in Houston?

My doc signed up this past year and we are going. I am not really sure what to expect other than schmoozzing and elbow rubbing

:)
    Properly medicated for your protection.

Optiwizard making films Audiyoda's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Schmoozing, elbow rubbing and lame CE classes

Oh...and your doc will get his kickback check at the end.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Hey BMH - Well now that you've been "experienced" what did you think? BTW I'm pretty sure my boss wanted in for the kickbacks.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well Audiyoda had it right. CE type meetings that I didn't really get much out of. A pretty standard exhibit floor with all of their vendor partners. And a couple of very long days sitting in a conference room large enough to fit everyone that came, we listened to 15-30 minute presentations from the vendor sponsors. Some of the presentations were pretty entertaining and some were just the facts/boring. Truthfully I got more insight and ideas after the meetings when we could finally meet and talk to other people in a casual setting.

Now I will say Vision Source throws one hell of a party. Lots of food and open bars on the exhibit floors. I little buzz gets that wallet open a bit faster for the vendors. The main Saturday night they hired Lynard Skynard to play and we had the Houston Hard Rock to ourselves along with an attached bowling alley, Lucky strikes I think. Before ya'll start clowning on Lynard Skynard I thought it was cool, but I am a long hair southern boy and yes my hair is colored yellow (blonde). Listen to "Give me three steps" if you don't get it.

The main thing I took away from the meeting is that Vision Source has a lot of members and most are established practices not newbies. If the ODs really took it to heart and embraced it as a brand for their practice Vision Source would be a huge force to be reckoned with. There had to be atleast 2000 people there and ofcourse that is not all of the members. And all of the members are INDEPENDENT ODs that choose to be there. In the face of corporate opticals and vision plans screwing up this indusrty I feel it will take a group of like minded people to band together in spirit and ideas to stick it back to them.

Imagine it from a vendors position.... "Hi there we are Vision Source would you like an opportunity to do business with 4000 or so private practices? Of course you would lets sit down and talk about what you can do for us!"

Or do you think the vendors would prefer to do business with one large company like Walmart that will devalue there product, demand ever increasing price breaks so they can sell your stuff for cheap?

And yes I believe my doctor got his kickback money for going. So in his mind that is just really making his total investment in VS less for the year. We are still new to VS but so far I think it is benefiting us more than it is costing so that is a no brainer!
    Properly medicated for your protection.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Agreed - Sensory overload for 2 entire days for sure - I learned more from the smaller focus groups - hearing different ideas from practices across the country - priceless.
    And yes - those VS docs know how to put on a party in Houston! - I've been an optician for 32+ years now, it is my passion - helping people see. What I got from it was a sincerely gratifying feeling to meet other like minded individuals. I'm not sure if the practice I am at will partially brand or go all in, time will tell. I am glad to hear your Dr./owner views VS as an investment. I will keep this in mind at the end of the year. Keep in touch.

Thread Information