Thread: dispensing systems

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

dispensing systems

My office is thinking of putting one of these "dispensing systems" in.
    Optikam
    i.terminal (Zeiss)
    Visoffice (essilor)
    I would love to here the pros and cons from people who use them on a day to day basis, and are they worth the price?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We've got an i-terminal from Zeiss in our office. It's kind of cool to see that ''techno-phile" patient's eyes light up when you stand them in front of it. Some people are more impressed with gadgets that others. I've gotten pretty good at judging who's going to get the most excited about it and who isn't. As for the measurements, I'm still more comfortable with my own as opposed tot he machine's. I always double check what the system says against what I measure manually and if there's a difference, I go with my own. Just old school stubborn I guess :P

On a side note, it does add a few minutes to the time spent with the patient so it's hard to use from that crunch starting at 4:30 until closing time as there are just too many people milling around the office for it to be time-efficient.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Whatever you choose, you should put one in, the consumer can do this online and it is an important component of competing with online retailers.

Bad address email on file fvc2020's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have to say I do love our I terminal and I profiler(I don't work for zeiss)I don't like their customer service zeiss meditech(yuck:-() We haven't had any problems with patients and adaptions...I will use my measurements when I think the machine is whacked though(had to last night in fact:-)....

Christina

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by fvc2020 View Post
    I have to say I do love our I terminal and I profiler(I don't work for zeiss)I don't like their customer service zeiss meditech(yuck:-() We haven't had any problems with patients and adaptions...I will use my measurements when I think the machine is whacked though(had to last night in fact:-)....

Christina
    But..this begs the question: How do you know when the machine is wacked, rather than your measurements?

B

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ........and another question: How do you know when you're whacked? I mean, your measurements might be off. Who calibrates me?

@op......the BEST system I have seen....... is a licensed career professional.

They are highly interactive, mobile, and upgradeable.

The good models do not wait to be prompted, are environmentally friendly, biodegradable, AND are capable of more than just measuring!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by uncut View Post
    ........and another question: How do you know when you're whacked? I mean, your measurements might be off. Who calibrates me?

@op......the BEST system I have seen....... is a licensed career professional.

They are highly interactive, mobile, and upgradeable.

The good models do not wait to be prompted, are environmentally friendly, biodegradable, AND are capable of more than just measuring!
    Love it!
    Properly medicated for your protection.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think if you do a comparison you will find the Optikam the best choice. Although, I think all the systems you listed are good and would be an asset to your office. Dispensing systems and digital centration is the wave of the future. Some opticians are afraid of this technology and fear it could replace them, regardless of how they feel or how they endorse or use it, it will be in place in most dispensaries within the next 5 to 10 years. I am an Independent Optician and integrated the Optikam into my office over 4 years ago and have found it to be an asset which I have never regretted purchasing. It has added business and patient appreciate that we offer the most advanced technology available. When I hear Opticians tell me how they can take just as accurate monocular PDs with a PD ruler or can make just as could of pair of glasses cutting their own patterns, I realize why our field is so backwards. Dispensing systems will not replace the need for skilled Opticians just as the auto refractor did not replace Optometrists. Technology like these examples should just make you more proficient at what you do.If you or anyone else needs additional information on the Optikam, feel free to call me at my office 732-350-1900

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We have the visioffice and love it. It does not replace the need for opticians; it makes our measurements more accurate. But it's a fantastic demo tool and has a built in lifestyle survey, and the Eyecode lenses it measures for are amazing. Patients really do notice the difference. It's about time there was some tech for the dispensary instead of just the testing room or lane.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We got the zeiss one and love it to bits....It's my new best friend

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We do alot of Hoya/shamir products and a little of Essilor, can you use the Visio Office to just obtain the measurements for the other lenses or does it just work for Essilor products. Also I was at a seminar recently where they demo'd the visio office and they were having a lot of issues with glare from the windows and the machine taking measurements. Have you had any issues--my concern is that we have 2 big windows in our dispensary.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I cant speak for the visio but we use the Optikam near the window with no problems with glare. The Optikam can take the measurements of any progressive lens and I am sure the Visio does also. You can co-op the cost of the Optikam system with Hoya, if you are selling Hoya products, talk to your rep. Hope this is helpful.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chad724 View Post
    We do alot of Hoya/shamir products and a little of Essilor, can you use the Visio Office to just obtain the measurements for the other lenses or does it just work for Essilor products. Also I was at a seminar recently where they demo'd the visio office and they were having a lot of issues with glare from the windows and the machine taking measurements. Have you had any issues--my concern is that we have 2 big windows in our dispensary.
    You can measure any lens with it, and the lifestyle survey isn't branded until the very last screen, which you can skip. We have three walls of windows in our optical, so we were careful where we placed it because of the glare issues. We have it facing away from the windows, and when we do have glare issues, we just pop the demo lenses out of the frame, or correct the images manually if it's a drilled frame. Our trainer was great and brought that up before we put the machine together. He spent two days with us, teaching all 7 opticians how to use it.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Once again I must ask, why do we embrace things that will lead to our own oblessence?

Soon, very soon the good doctor will be able to replace you entirely with the push of a button.

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Once again I must ask, why do we embrace things that will lead to our own oblessence?

Soon, very soon the good doctor will be able to replace you entirely with the push of a button.

Chip
    All those things we do before we take manual measurements still have to be done with a machine. You have to pre-adjust the frame, gauge posture, and make adjustments to the measurements according to how people use their lenses. I like it because I cannot measure a PD to a tenth of a mm by hand and it beats the heck out of a distometer for measuring vertex. My patients get more accurate measurements because I am using the machine to help me measure.

If anything, I think of it like an auto-refractor. Useful, but you still need a well-trained human.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Chip, Unfortunately or fortunately depending on how you look at it, dispensing systems and digital centration is now going to be used by most dispensaries in the next few years. If you ignore it, it doesn't make it go away but it might make people that think like you do, go away. So we need to see how we can use these systems to make us more proficient and more progressive if we want to succeed in the future.

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I'd like to reiterate a point to which several of these responses have already alluded: Video centration devices replace the PD ruler, not the optician. And most of these devices are no less complicated than holding a plastic ruler up to someone's face; in fact, several are fairly sophisticated. A pupilometer, on the other hand, requires only minimal training.

Best regards,
    Darryl
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Thread Information