Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: *Delivered* my first Superfocals..

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    I appreciate new technology, and I appreciate how these mimic the human eye's accommodation. I just wonder how long it will take for them to get cataracts.
    So you are saying that this could go the way of the Opti Grab?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    "...And I don't need one other thing, except my dog..." ;)

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Good statement Craig.........................

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post

We do what others don't and that is why we are still alive and growing as an independent.

Craig

Good statement Craig.........................maybe some day they will believe you. The way you promote it, it can not found on-line.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Good statement Craig.........................maybe some day they will believe you. The way you promote it, it can not found on-line.
    Chris,

What can't be found "online"? Did you see the website? (I added the "red" and increased the font size) Again, this isn't a typical online retailer, but again, they give you three choices, the last of which is going to an ECP:

Try a custom-made pair of Superfocus glasses
    30 days risk free!

Introductory Pricing Starting Under $700

Customize your Superfocus glasses online:

[CENTER]You can also call us at 1-800-900-3700

or visit one of our dispensing Eye Care Practitioners

Learn about our
    30 day risk free trial

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I checked out the website. At first I thought I was looking at a Pepboys commercial.
    "Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it." - Benjamin Franklin.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    Call me a curmudgeon, but I think they will be out of business within ten years.
    Its been hours since Essilor bought someone, I am sure they will knock on the door soon...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    See above: Crumudgin and a perfect example of what 50 years in the opitcal business can do to you! Have you changed any paridigms in the past 20 years or do you still bump the add on progressives and match the base curve as well!!!
    You want me to give up my glass Executives? I am guessing you have one of those fancy smantsy cel phone smaller than a toaster, a car with electric windows, and even a flush toilet.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I just adjusted a pair that a customer of mine ordered online. Yikes! They look enormous in the pictures, but it's only a 38 mm lens with a 25 mm bridge. Not a good fit for an Asian with a wide face! She said that she ordered the largest size available.

Also, she ordered them in January, received them last week, and I discovered a flaw (looks like a fingerprint) under the coating, so she'll have to send them back. She also needs longer temples. Her current conventional glasses have 135 mm temples, so that's what she ordered on the Superfocus, but since they have to bow around her head (directions say not to touch the endpieces; the only adjustable parts are the pad arms and the back 1/3 of the temple) she needs something longer. I'm going to try to curve the new temples into riding bows because the small size of the frame, combined with the fact that I had to pull the pad arms way back to keep the glasses off her cheeks, resulted in glasses that won't stay in place.

It was interesting to see them first hand. The interior lens is progressive, but I didn't read it as having all of her cylinder, so I'm puzzled by that.

All in all, I can say that I made the right decision not to carry these things, but I'm delighted that the company will send me a check for $50 for adjusting them.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    "...And I don't need one other thing, except my dog..." ;)
    ...and these ugly glasses....
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    What is the weight of a pair of superfocus, and what are the frame sizes available?

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by VHB View Post

Also, she ordered them in January, received them last week, and I discovered a flaw (looks like a fingerprint) under the coating, so she'll have to send them back. She also needs longer temples. Her current conventional glasses have 135 mm temples, so that's what she ordered on the Superfocus, but since they have to bow around her head (directions say not to touch the endpieces; the only adjustable parts are the pad arms and the back 1/3 of the temple) she needs something longer. I'm going to try to curve the new temples into riding bows because the small size of the frame, combined with the fact that I had to pull the pad arms way back to keep the glasses off her cheeks, resulted in glasses that won't stay in place.
    What's the bottom line though? Is she so thrilled w/them that she's willing to compromise on the other items? Also, how's her vision?

Also, you mentioned "Asians". Is it safe to assume she's Asian, and if so, we might as well assume she's a high(er) myope. Is there a big "Wow" factor here?

Finally, what does the lens surface feel like? Is it a solid surface? Hearing the word "membrane" mentioned in other posts, I have a (most likely scewed) visual of a soft, membrane like surface. I'm sure I am way off on this, but what is it really like?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Not a myope at all! She's a high plus with 1.75D cylinder and a 2.75 add.

She hasn't been able to wear them for long because they keep sliding off -- the size is way too small. Since she has to send then back because of the smudge under the A/R, she is going to get longer temples (for which there is an extra charge -- ahem!) and I will endeavor to fit the temples so that the frame can stay in place. Luckily, the pads arms are very long and flexible because I had to pull them way back and make the pads nearly flat (like a ptosis crutch) to prop them against her very flat bridge.

I didn't think about the membrane feature when I was cleaning them, but I don't remember them feeling anything other than firm. I had to take them apart (the outer lens is held on with magnets) because when I was cleaning them, some of the spray got between the two lenses.

They were surprisingly lightweight. I'll try to pay more attention to them when she brings them back, but that may take awhile since they're having some serious turnaround problems.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Further update: They want her to take a picture of the smudge under the A/R. Apparently they won't take her (or my) word for it. And even if she can get a good picture of it, which I think is unlikely, what will it tell them? How will they know that it's not her fingerprint that she didn't clean off?

Also, they want to send her the longer temples for me to put on. Drat! It's a spring hinge and I have only two hands. I suspect they wouldn't like me to use any spring hinge aligning screws.

Can't say much for their customer service.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ok. Mine arrived today!

First impressions are that they work!

Going to orchestra rehearsal tonite. Will advise. Pics to follow.

B

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    OK. I've got 6 hours of use behind me.

Here's my opinion:

2. They are PERFECT for computer
    3. They are even better for music
    4. They are far more satisfying to wear when watching TV, compared with my progressives
    5. They adjustment is easy to learn and use
    6. The prescription lens-mounting and workmanship represents, IMHO, quite a bit of sophisticated engineering. It is apparent that quite of bit of thought has gone in to the design and manufacture of these.

Dislikes:

1. From a performance standpoint, nothing really.
    2. Cosmetics are in the eye of the beholder. I think they make me look sophisticated and urbane (whatever that means)
    3. The "liquid" lens may appear somewhat less sophisticated upon closer inspection, but since I'm not aware of any of this aspect during wear, so I don't feel it should infulence my overall impression.

It makes me want to get involved in all new technical-lens products (Empower next).

FWIW

Barry
    Last edited by Barry Santini; 05-03-2011 at 12:58 PM.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by VHB View Post
    The interior lens is progressive, but I didn't read it as having all of her cylinder, so I'm puzzled by that.
    That might be due to the unwanted cylinder in the fluid lens, which probably varies by power, temperature, and maybe even barometric pressure!
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Barry, I'd be interested in a few more critical observations:

1. How does the field of clear vision compare to traditional single vision spectacle lenses?
    2. How does the clarity of vision change as the position of your head changes due to gravity?
    3. How does the clarity of vision change as the temperature changes (may require some time to tell)?
    4. How does the clarity of vision change as your altitude changes due to pressure?
    5. How does the clarity of vision change as the membrane ages, losing elasticity (make require some time to tell)?
    6. How transparent are the lenses, given the number of interface reflections and transparency of the fluid?
    7. Is this action of the level smooth with no play?
    8. How easy or difficult is it to adjust the various components of the frame?
    9. Is the amount of fluid is proportional to the prescribed addition power?
    10. How easy or difficult is it to reinsert the prescription lenses, if they become loose or fall out?
    11. How often would you expect the fit of the frame to become limited by the wearer's interpupillary distance?
    12. How scratch-resistant is the membrane?
    13. What choices will you have for tinted, photochromic, polarized, AR coated, etcetera?

Feedback in a letter to Review of Optometry from an optometrist who used fluid-adjustable lenses on nearly a thousand patients during a humanitarian mission in Niger was not particularly positive. He indicated that the lenses had a 12% or 13% failure rate for breakage, leakage, faulty wheel screws, etcetera. He also mentioned that the membrane was pone to scratching and that the lenses were prone to leaking in hot weather.

I, personally, suspect that the single biggest limitation of the lenses will be the extremely limited range of frame style choices. Historically, frame fashions have continued to drive both lens design (i.e., corrected curve, short-corridor PALs, wrap lenses, etcetera) and consumer acceptance of eyewear. Modern eyewear has now become widely acceptable, cosmetically, compared to the frame styles of earlier generations.

Best regards,
    Darryl
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Darryl:

There's seems to be some primatic shift that occurs when ramping through the plus range.

The FOV seems "OK", but since the lenses are so small (37mm round), I'm not aware of real deficiciencies in off-axis viewing. I can say, however, that for my 1.50D cyl, they are somewhat less sharp than my SV FF DV.

There are explicit instructions regarding cleaning the membrane, such as "be careful." (I will).

The RX lenses attach quite securely through the employment of 8 small circumferential magnets. They are not easily dislodged, and can be reattached with ease and confidence.

The clarity through the membrane is not totally uniform, but it doesn't bother me (may bother others).

Although the membrane is not AR coated, I had not problems with annoying or intrusive specular reflections whne driving at night. Certainly no more than my progressives. (It leeds me to thinking that we've placed too much EMPHASIS on the benefits of AR at times. Given the choice, I'd prefer a NON AR'd SV FF lens to an AR'd stock lens.)

The action is relatively smooth. Again, I'm not aware that it is an issue.

AS far as the PD issue, I think the majority of decentration is accomplished on the RX lenses, which are shelf-beveled and flush mounted. Quite Interesting workmanship!

More feedback to come later.

B

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Meister View Post
    Barry, I'd be interested in a few more critical observations:

2. How does the clarity of vision change as the position of your head changes due to gravity? Yes, Superfocals says as much - a negliible effect
    3. How does the clarity of vision change as the temperature changes (may require some time to tell)? Need time
    4. How does the clarity of vision change as your altitude changes due to pressure? ?????
    5. How does the clarity of vision change as the membrane ages, losing elasticity (make require some time to tell)? time
    6. How transparent are the lenses, given the number of interface reflections and transparency of the fluid? answered below
    7. Is this action of the level smooth with no play? no play, but slightly less than completely smooth on my example
    8. How easy or difficult is it to adjust the various components of the frame? Little adjustment available, except for nose pad arms and spring hinges
    9. Is the amount of fluid is proportional to the prescribed addition power? (Don't know at this time)
    10. How easy or difficult is it to reinsert the prescription lenses, if they become loose or fall out? (answered below)
    11. How often would you expect the fit of the frame to become limited by the wearer's interpupillary distance? field of view considerations, and wide heads
    12. How scratch-resistant is the membrane? ??????
    13. What choices will you have for tinted, photochromic, polarized, AR coated, etcetera? All these options are available

Feedback in a letter to Review of Optometry from an optometrist who used fluid-adjustable lenses on nearly a thousand patients during a humanitarian mission in Niger was not particularly positive. He indicated that the lenses had a 12% or 13% failure rate for breakage, leakage, faulty wheel screws, etcetera. He also mentioned that the membrane was pone to scratching and that the lenses were prone to leaking in hot weather.

I, personally, suspect that the single biggest limitation of the lenses will be the extremely limited range of frame style choices. Historically, frame fashions have continued to drive both lens design (i.e., corrected curve, short-corridor PALs, wrap lenses, etcetera) and consumer acceptance of eyewear. Modern eyewear has now become widely acceptable, cosmetically, compared to the frame styles of earlier generations.

Best regards,
    Darryl
    Barry

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Thanks for the comprehensive feedback, Barry.

Best regards,
    Darryl
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I hadn't thought of that Darryl. Makes sense - less atmospheric pressure=higher plus power.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Yeah, exactly, although the effect for a fluid is probably negligible compared to a gas-filled lens. Still, it would be an interesting experiment the next time you're in Denver...

Best regards,
    Darryl
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Almost two months later I still have not received the $50 fee that was supposed to be mailed the day they received my voucher!

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Of course there could be a difference of opinion about what advancements and gimicks are.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    And will Aspex sue them for putting magnets on the frame to hold in the Rx part?
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.

Thread Information