Thread: Briot VS Weco

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Briot VS Weco

I'm buying a new system for our in house jobs - got it narrowed down to the WECO 580 with a Cad 5 blocking system and trace 3 tracer OR a BRIOT Alta edger,blocker,tracer..... Any experiences had with either of these machines would be appreciated

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I'd skip them both for nearly anything by Santinelli. And I'd run from the Briot like the plague.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Search for both in the forums and you'll find plenty on both. We run Santinelli, National Optronics, and AIT here in our lab.
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Occupation
    We have a LE-9000SX edger now but are looking to upgrade so I can do drilled rimless jobs...I hate the customer service we have had with Santinelli.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    I'd skip them both for nearly anything by Santinelli. And I'd run from the Briot like the plague.
    Why run from Briot? Is it equipment quality? Customer Service?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    It's sort of like comparing a rotten apple to a moldy orange.

Even though they're now from the big E, check into an Optronics 7E.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    With over 20Yr. Expr. i'll say this, If bevel , shape , size & axis mean nothing to you buy a Brio

Occupation
    Wow, yall are not making me feel warm and fuzzy about the two edgers we have narrowed it down to......and the Optronics 7E is not an option..Doc considers the big E to be the Devil

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Can't say I blame him for that, but it is a good machine. Have him look at this one:
    http://www.santinelli.com/products/me_1200.aspx

That's on my drool list.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by listenclose23 View Post
    We have a LE-9000SX edger now but are looking to upgrade so I can do drilled rimless jobs...I hate the customer service we have had with Santinelli.
    Give Essilor a shot, they have the best service and drilling systems on the market. IMHO!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by listenclose23 View Post
    I'm buying a new system for our in house jobs - got it narrowed down to the WECO 580 with a Cad 5 blocking system and trace 3 tracer OR a BRIOT Alta edger,blocker,tracer..... Any experiences had with either of these machines would be appreciated
    I cannot imagine how the Alta compares to the 580? Please expalin how you got to these 2 machines. I am interested in a 580, but have not seen one yet.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    I cannot imagine how the Alta compares to the 580? Please expalin how you got to these 2 machines. I am interested in a 580, but have not seen one yet.
    Same s.... different smell. There is no more WECO. The inside mecanics is all Briot. Only the software is german !! You would be much better off with Santinelli's ME 1200.

Bad address email on file AMIGODIANA's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    honest to say.. i more like Briot :)

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm in the UK and wouldn't touch Briot, they are unreliable and customer service is poor. Santinelli or Nidek as we have them here are very good edgers but again the aftersales over here is poor. I use and love WECO, much of the WECO stuff now is rebadged Briot so be careful, but the true WECO edgers go on for ever, have great shape and size reproduction and excellent after sales service, if not a bit expensive.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rimlessglasses View Post
    I'm in the UK and wouldn't touch Briot, they are unreliable and customer service is poor. Santinelli or Nidek as we have them here are very good edgers but again the aftersales over here is poor. I use and love WECO, much of the WECO stuff now is rebadged Briot so be careful, but the true WECO edgers go on for ever, have great shape and size reproduction and excellent after sales service, if not a bit expensive.
    I agree that WECO edgers are workhorses and worth the price. Unfortunately, here in the states, WECO is all but non-existent. They can't keep a distributor for more than a year or two, currently AIT is distributing after GerberCoburn, Satisloh and Briot gave a shot at it with no success.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I am not very happy with our new Briot Weco, we just added it to our lab and I have been unimpressed by it. We have the Alta XLD tracer and the Alta NX edger and it has been a huge headache. Pd's and seg heights are consistently off, lenses twist quite often as well. It doesn't seem to matter how much you calibrate the machine either, you will be fine for a few jobs and then you end up with a **** job.

We have a ME 1000 edger and a ICE 9000 blocker and they have been the best machines I have ever worked with in my 10 years. I don't think I have ever seen a machine be so consistent. Even though it is over 7 years old now I would still recommend it for any doctor office that does their own lab work.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Correct: Briot and Weco are the exact same machine, just under a different hood.

Thread Information