Thread: BIG pupils

Bad address email on file

Question

I have a patient who is the brother of a major league baseball player. Anyway, this guy is also on his way to the majors. He has a problem with halos caused by his large pupils (6-7mm). He claims his friend has a similar problem and was cured with a special contact lens. I don't know of anything that would help. I'm sure a custom opaque lens could be ordered but is there something out there that is more mainstream? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Rodney

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Use one of the comercially available iris lenses like W/J colorblends, ciba illusions, etc. Cheap especially in the disposable mode and patient can find out if this helps. If so he might want to move to custom iris lens but these are $500 a pop and not insureable.

Good luck,

Chip

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I would recommend the same. I had a patient one time who had 8 holes outside of her iris that came from glaucoma. This solved the
    problem very effectively and at less cost.

The other ball players we had in minor leagues also like yellow tinted lenses for playing under the lights.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Chip is correct, but I doubt if the disposable will work: the aperture is for average size pupils, and this fellow must have really large pupils to cause visual disturbances. A custom printed iris, with or without a black underprint, is expensive, but They can be had for much less than 500 each. WJ special eyes foundation can do them for 175 each Canadian (approx 125 US) but they sure take their time. I tried all these methods with a patient with 8 mm pupils and failed. any other suggestions?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ditto. I fit my son with Color Blends because the iris in his right eye was torn from a paint ball accident. The lens shuts down the amount of light and now it can function without always wearing sunglasses.

[This message has been edited by EyeManFla (edited 08-25-2000).]

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

For iridectomies, singular or multiple, iris trauma, aniridia, ect, opaque lenses are usually sucessfull. congenitally large pupils, however, are a different story, and in my humble opinion, are seldom helped in this manner. I would certainly consider trying it though, since a pair of colorblends make an inexpensive trial, and your guy just might get good results. Good luck.

OptiBoard Apprentice

If the gentleman in question is several dioptres or more myopic, with little to no astigmatism, he might find B&L's SofLens66 contact lenses useful - they have some built-in negative asphericity which MAY help reduce large aperture aberrations (if the problem is primarily spherical aberration). Worth a try.
    Rick

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

If I'm not mistaken, there are also medicated eye drops available which will constrict the pupil. I believe some post-refractive surgery patients use it (if they have extreme trouble with night vision after surgery).

I'm sure someone here can elaborate on this suggestion (and indicate on the plausibility of it).

Pete

Bad address email on file

Hello Pete,

In what way are you talking about people having trouble with night vision after refractive surgery. And what kind of refractive surgery are you talking about.

beta chem

Thread Information