Thread: going rate for 6yr old LE-9000SX edger lightly used?

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Confused going rate for 6yr old LE-9000SX edger lightly used?

I'm upgrading my in house edging system and trying to figure out if its worth selling my current edger or should I save my self the hassle and just trade it in? Anyone bought or sold one recently and if so can you give me a ballpark figure of what you paid/got for it. MY LE-9000SX edger is only about 7yrs old and has very few cuts considering its age. Any info will help...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My Optical Blue Book puts it's value at $23.76. Plus, you'll need to pay for shipping. I could take it off your hands if we can negotiate the price a little lower....:bbg:

Seriously, have you considered keeping it for a back-up? The used market just won't give you what you feel it's worth. Good luck!

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Could be a good one for me IF I ever decide to get back into the business.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ~$15000 depending on the number of cuts and overall condition. Mine was in mint condition when purchased and fewer than 9000 cuts at 5 years old when I bought mine.
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer
    • Teacher of the art of crafting handmade eyewear.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    If you want top dollar I'd suggest trying to sell it locally so the buyer can drive in and check it out to make sure it's fully functional. If you try and sell online shipping and/or listing charges are REALLY going to eat into your expected profits. I bought a used refurbed 9000 series about two years ago. It had ~18K cuts on it. I got it for under 10K, BUT I knew the seller and he had been unable to sell online for a higher asking price. Good luck!

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Can I ask why you want to "upgrade?" I've got the same exact edger and while it doesn't drill or do high wrap edging, it does most everything else and pretty well. But I have a manual Less Stress II drill and I prefer to keep it that way. It would be really cool to have something that can do high-wrap edging, but it would take quite a few of those jobs to make a new edger purchase worth it.

Figure out the difference with and without trade-in as to how much per month your lease payment will be (if you will be financing the new one). It may not make much of a difference and be nice to have it as a backup machine.
    -Steve

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by snowmonster View Post
    Can I ask why you want to "upgrade?" I've got the same exact edger and while it doesn't drill or do high wrap edging, it does most everything else and pretty well. But I have a manual Less Stress II drill and I prefer to keep it that way. It would be really cool to have something that can do high-wrap edging, but it would take quite a few of those jobs to make a new edger purchase worth it.

Figure out the difference with and without trade-in as to how much per month your lease payment will be (if you will be financing the new one). It may not make much of a difference and be nice to have it as a backup machine.
    We are looking to do wrap frames in house as well as drill mounts...one of the edgers we are looking at also does magnetic clips...we blow silhouettes out of the water and at $60 per drill mount charge we could just about pay the lease on those alone...If we could get 12-15K for the LE-9000sx Doc would be happy all around...as long as we dont end up with a lemon that is

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wait a second! I have the 9000SX and do high wrap frames with out any concern up to 20+ degrees wrap. After that, well thats why we have Alan down at Icetech. As for drill mounts, before there were edgers that drilled, there were drill mounts. Learn how to drill with a press and everything is possible. Then tell your Doc your new skills, who knows you may be up for a bonus for looking out for the bottom line. Not to mention a new marketable skill.

P.S. You can do chemestrie clips with the drill press. Just take some time and trying to figure it out.

KC
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer
    • Teacher of the art of crafting handmade eyewear.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    $60 for drill mount fees? Yikes!

Kcount - how do you deal with a -3.00 on an 8 base lens/frame combo fitting in a frame with that edger? The step bevel blades take out the extra material that typically runs into the nosepiece area on a zyl frame, and the bevel seems to round too much for us on metal 8 base frames.
    -Steve

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The quick answer is don't cut a bevel, cut a shelf instead then put the bevel on the rise of the shelf on tge hand stone. The alternative is to place the bevel at tge front of the lens, then back cut the flat behind tge bevel to clear the frame.

Sent from IPhone.

Occupation
    We have a drill press now but the problem is time...I do pretty much everything (lab work, dispensing, customer service, retinal photos, frame buyer, and marketing) so I'm looking for something more efficient. Also, I'll hopefully be leaving for optometry school next August so Doc needs something that is as dummy proof as possible

Occupation
    $60 for drill mount fees? Yikes!

Kcount - how do you deal with a -3.00 on an 8 base lens/frame combo fitting in a frame with that edger? The step bevel blades take out the extra material that typically runs into the nosepiece area on a zyl frame, and the bevel seems to round too much for us on metal 8 base frames.
    We carry high end frames, never use poly and rarely fit anything but FreeForm PG (Hoya SummitIQ, Lifestyle, and MyStyle) and our customers know when they come to us they are going to pay alittle more but I think its a good place to be when you live in a world with 2 for 99 specials

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I'm just surprised at the drill charge...
    -Steve

Occupation
    I'm just surprised at the drill charge...
    can I ask what yall charge...this is the 3rd optical office i have worked for but I cant remember for that life of me what we charged at Schaeffer over in AL or Cohen's in NYC

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I thought that was your cost on the drill charge, that's what threw me. Now I realize that's what you're charging your patients. Sorry about that...
    -Steve

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by listenclose23 View Post
    We are looking to do wrap frames in house as well as drill mounts...one of the edgers we are looking at also does magnetic clips...we blow silhouettes out of the water and at $60 per drill mount charge we could just about pay the lease on those alone...If we could get 12-15K for the LE-9000sx Doc would be happy all around...as long as we dont end up with a lemon that is
    You should check out the Essilor Instruments (1-855-EZ-Finish), I just got $13,000 on a trade-in towards purchasing a Mr. Blue System. Capabale of drilling, high wraps with a shelf bevel, autoblocker, remote maintenance, funky shapes and milling for slippery A/R coatings. I compared it to the Nidek/Santinelli ME-1000, (which I heard was discontinued by Nidek in Japan ,trying to confirm) and the ME-1200 which was over $70,000 and found this to be of greater value and alot less expensive.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumbs View Post
    You should check out the Essilor Instruments (1-855-EZ-Finish), I just got $13,000 on a trade-in towards purchasing a Mr. Blue System. Capabale of drilling, high wraps with a shelf bevel, autoblocker, remote maintenance, funky shapes and milling for slippery A/R coatings. I compared it to the Nidek/Santinelli ME-1000, (which I heard was discontinued by Nidek in Japan ,trying to confirm) and the ME-1200 which was over $70,000 and found this to be of greater value and alot less expensive.
    Does the ME 1200 really go for $70k??? That sounds high. I thought it was basically the next generation ME 1000 with a sleeker (smaller) design? What is the Mr. Blue going for these days with the change in distribution from Coburn? Both the Nidek and Mr. Blue are nice machines.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan Tabor View Post
    Does the ME 1200 really go for $70k??? That sounds high. I thought it was basically the next generation ME 1000 with a sleeker (smaller) design? What is the Mr. Blue going for these days with the change in distribution from Coburn? Both the Nidek and Mr. Blue are nice machines.
    I sent you a PM

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I just picked up a 9000sx with 9000 cuts on it for 10k if that's any help. Came with ce1 blocker, tank and pumps.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by listenclose23 View Post
    We have a drill press now but the problem is time...I do pretty much everything (lab work, dispensing, customer service, retinal photos, frame buyer, and marketing) so I'm looking for something more efficient. Also, I'll hopefully be leaving for optometry school next August so Doc needs something that is as dummy proof as possible
    If that's the reason just keep the 9000 Unit. It's pretty dummy proof as is....the only real knowledge of optics comes in nuetralzing the uncuts prior rto blocking them......after that it's pretyy much all done by the unit. The easier answer for drilled jobs would be to just add the drill charge into the price of the frame so the owner is already covered for the charges to be incurred.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Wave

Quote Originally Posted by David_Garza View Post
    If that's the reason just keep the 9000 Unit. It's pretty dummy proof as is....the only real knowledge of optics comes in nuetralzing the uncuts prior rto blocking them......after that it's pretyy much all done by the unit. The easier answer for drilled jobs would be to just add the drill charge into the price of the frame so the owner is already covered for the charges to be incurred.
    I would have to say. If you want an edger that will not require many repaires and adjustments. Go with Nidek. However, if you want to get to know your service rep.then,go with MR blues.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Smilie Mr. Blue

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Pagé View Post
    I would have to say. If you want an edger that will not require many repaires and adjustments. Go with Nidek. However, if you want to get to know your service rep.then,go with MR blues.
    Sounds to me like you need a new service rep! Mr. Blue has been performing flawlessly for almost a year with a couple of software upgrades which where done using the Essibox remote maintenance, no service rep needed.

Thread Information