Thread: Rating 2011 VE East

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Rating 2011 VE East

I did Saturday at the show.

Frame booths seemed to be busy writing orders. Technology booths seemed smaller than usual, same with the Contact lens booths.

Essilors booth was huge and overwhelming.

Overall, seemed that competing witht he internet was a theme.

What's everyone's take on VE this year?

Harry

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My boss was there, and said that some while some of the booths seemed busy on Friday,but the place (ironically) looked cleared out by 2:00 PM on Saturday. He said the set-up was very strange with the optical/professional associations all hiding in the basement. He said if it wasn't for the free lunch downstairs, nobody would have known the place existed.

He also said Maui Jim was a no-show (who cares). I would have like to go, but my husband and I are waiting for the Vegas show.

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    It seemed to me to be busier than it has been for the last few years.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    It was an interesting show, due to the construction on Javits, they had to split everything up. Galleria/Underground was together, which I thought was great. It seems it was busy and feedback from some of the vendors was fantastic but others who were used to a smaller space in the galleria, got a little lost in the back of the Galleria. It seems like everyone was busy on the main floor, we walked the show numerous times and almost all booths were jamming. Had some reports that Friday they had record sales.. I think people are coming back in general.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    VE attendance may have been up some as compared to past few years. While it was a longer walk to get to the Galleria, once you arrived there, it was far nicer than in previous years in the jam packed area upstairs. Luxotica and Essilor seemed to be back at full throttle. Both expanded there presence after cutting way back in Vegas. St. Patrick's Day made things interesting on Thursday for those who arrived early. Typical "celebrities" in the Revolution booth. I got Snooki's autograph! Gee, let me up my order from Revolution!

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Spent Friday and Saturday at the show and it definitely was busier than the previous years I've been. Granted, I was stuck in classes for most of the day but when I did venture out, it was busier than I expected. Overall, it was a good show. Hopefully they'll keep it up!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Vee

I was there all four days, spent most of my time helping out at the revolution booth as i usually do, got all three autos

i did not like the layout of the show, although it provided a lot of room, it seemed to take forever to find a booth

there were definitely more people there then last year, it was just so spread out it may have seemed otherwise to some.

I saw a lot of businesss being written, and what surprised me the most was how much business all these small basically unknown co.s were writing, and most of these products were not cheap.

missed laurie pierce, but did get to see her sister candy, and somehow i missed everyone else.

best deal was essilor was given out free lenses, i think it was physio, but you had to have a frame you could leave and your rx, well i didnt, so maybe next year

conclusion, a great show, but not the best layout, that will hopefully change next year

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Darby View Post
    My boss was there, and said that some while some of the booths seemed busy on Friday,but the place (ironically) looked cleared out by 2:00 PM on Saturday. He said the set-up was very strange with the optical/professional associations all hiding in the basement. He said if it wasn't for the free lunch downstairs, nobody would have known the place existed.

He also said Maui Jim was a no-show (who cares). I would have like to go, but my husband and I are waiting for the Vegas show.

Maui Jim had an off-site event Thursday night. They have quite a few new styles out. They finally copied some better frame designs. There's a new Baby Beach frame that seems to be an exact replica of the Oliver People's popular Aero model. Looks really promising.

I'm hoping to be at VEW as well. It would be my first time in Vegas.

In my opinion, VEE seemed a little tame this year. The floor seemed empty, with the exception of the usual suspects, LUX, Marchon and Safilo. The M3D booth was particularly busy, but it was mostly men trying to convince their wives how great a 3D TV would look in their living rooms :)

Thread Information