Thread: HOYA SuperHiVision EX3

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Stick out tongue HOYA SuperHiVision EX3

Anyone have experience with this new A/R coating? They say it's a LOT more scratch resistant than glass... ?

:drop:

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I heard the same. But I have to ask, with Crizal, SuperHiVision, and all comparable coatings, are people having issues with the lens scratching? I never did.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    My Ex3s are a year old. No scratches, except where they fell on a pile of rock. But they don't clean near as well as new. Maybe to the same extent as anything else, maybe a bit more degradation.
    I'm gonna have to order me a pair of iCoat's Aura Ar, which is supposed to have a slightly higher Bayer rating than EX3. One thing I do know about the Aura- it's slipperier than anything else I've edged.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecliptic View Post
    Anyone have experience with this new A/R coating? They say it's a LOT more scratch resistant than glass... ?

:drop:
    The scratch resistance is fabulous, but Cleanability is hit or miss (as with Hoya ar in general). If you are using Hoya ar anyway, there is no reason to not use ex3. We were early adopters at one location and have had tremendous success over the years. I never feel like it is a disservice to provide a pt with ex3

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused

I am sure coating comparisons have been discussed to death on theses forums and I have my own opinions, but Lets say you were considering applying the HOYA SuperHiVision EX3 coating to photochromic glass lenses (PGX, PBX, etc.), would you opt to consider this AR multi-coating over say Crizal Alize, Zeiss' Carat Advantage or iCoat's Stainless? If so, why? If not, why not? ... And how would you rank these for this application. All input appreciated!

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Not sure anyone would even do those coatings on glass.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
    I am sure coating comparisons have been discussed to death on theses forums and I have my own opinions, but Lets say you were considering applying the HOYA SuperHiVision EX3 coating to photochromic glass lenses (PGX, PBX, etc.), would you opt to consider this AR multi-coating over say Crizal Alize, Zeiss' Carat Advantage or iCoat's Stainless? If so, why? If not, why not? ... And how would you rank these for this application. All input appreciated!
    My understanding (I've not worked with glass in years now, though) is that none of the ar you listed can be applied to glass. I remember back in the Alize days that I couldn't get Alize on glass. Maybe things have changed. My understanding is that the ar you listed are produced completely different over seas to work with glass, though they have the same name. Again, I've not worked with glass in years, though.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    Not sure anyone would even do those coatings on glass.
    What would you do on glass?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
    My understanding (I've not worked with glass in years now, though) is that none of the ar you listed can be applied to glass. I remember back in the Alize days that I couldn't get Alize on glass. Maybe things have changed. My understanding is that the ar you listed are produced completely different over seas to work with glass, though they have the same name. Again, I've not worked with glass in years, though.
    Obviously, glass gets less attention these days because other materials have taken over the market domestically, but it is my understanding that at least the Super ET and Carat Advantage can be applied to glass. I think that comes from Zeiss unless my info is wrong. Same situation for Stainless, if memory serves. As for Alize, maybe the reformulated version works? I'll have to check with Essilor, but I was informed by a third party that it may be applied to glass. The question does arise, though, would you do any of these or something else with glass. What's your take?

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    What's your big interest in glass?
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.

Thread Information