Thread: There is joy in our job.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

There is joy in our job.

I find that OptiBoard is the best place to come and vent about the annoyances of be an optician. But I don't think we ever take the time to say I had a great patient today.

The last 2 days I've had two really great people that I've dispensed to, and they've both brought me some optical joy. The first was a first time progressive dispense, and she was grumbling in a not rude way that she can't believe she was old enough to need glasses. She put them on, and was just so happy that she didn't have to grow new arms to read her kid a book. Just a delight to work with, and I was merely the delivery person.
    My other patient didn't do anything special. I didn't get any cards or candies, no hugs, he was just very pleased with his product, even though one pair came in too small. He purchased three pair, and was wonderful to work with, but was so happy with what came in.

I know we all have had times where we've had patients who were 'blind' and we made them see, and those are great times, but I'm taking a minute to appreciate the less impressive yet very special moments of my last two days. I'm normally very negative (hello, sometimes I single-handedly keep the stupid question thread going), but I'm sending out good thoughts to you all, and I hope someone will share in what went right for them today.
    Thanks!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Don't you just love great patients? I had one today that bought me a drink from the smoothie shop next door because we were talking about the flavor that we absolutely love. She left, came back and brought it in for me.:bbg:

Like you said, it's not always the "gifts" they bring in for you but it's the patients you can have a connection with. Those that know about you and you know about them and when they come back they'll ask "How is wedding planning?" Etc, or next time I see them I'll say "How was your vacation?" Etc.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by NeGlassesGirl27 View Post
    Don't you just love great patients? I had one today that bought me a drink from the smoothie shop next door because we were talking about the flavor that we absolutely love. She left, came back and brought it in for me.:bbg:

Like you said, it's not always the "gifts" they bring in for you but it's the patients you can have a connection with. Those that know about you and you know about them and when they come back they'll ask "How is wedding planning?" Etc, or next time I see them I'll say "How was your vacation?" Etc.
    So...how's the wedding planning? :)

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    So...how's the wedding planning? :)

Diane
    Hehee Ohhh it's going just swell! We get to sample yummy wedding cakes next week. I might just not eat from now until then so I can try every cake they have...for free :bbg:
    Last edited by NeGlassesGirl27; 03-16-2011 at 10:37 AM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am sooo lucky to have great patients that come back year after year!

I love catching up between the years and seeing their kids grow up etc. I am so greatful to have more patients like this than the other.

Great thread topic! On to another very booked day with several of my long timers!

Have a GREAT DAY everyone!
    Jana Lewis
    ABOC , NCLE

A fine quotation is a diamond on the finger of a man of wit, and a pebble in the hand of a fool.
    Joseph Roux

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I love this thread.

One of my favorite repeat customers, a six-year-old hyperopic boy, came in yesterday wanting ONLY to see me to help him pick out new frames.

I also have a couple families with Down Syndrome kids; apparently there's a Down parents web forum in the area where people have posted that I'm the go-to guy in the Richmond area to adjust Down kids' glasses. THAT is a joy in this job.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post

I also have a couple families with Down Syndrome kids; apparently there's a Down parents web forum in the area where people have posted that I'm the go-to guy in the Richmond area to adjust Down kids' glasses. THAT is a joy in this job.
    What a compliment.
    Its this kind of stuff that makes work great.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    They are probably the most fun and my favorite patients to work with. I have a few of them in here as well. The one is a 13 year old boy that is just an amazing kid and full of life. (They're the family that brought us Dilly Bars from DQ a few weeks ago)

I participate (dispensing, measuring pd, frame adjustments, etc) in the Healthy Athletes for the Nebraska State Special Olympics in May every year and it's some of the most rewarding work you could do. I was lucky enough to also participate in the NATIONAL Healthy Athletes for S.O. this past summer and to see the smile on these kids faces that have never worn glasses, is something else

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have a fav that never fails to bring me a bottle of my pet wine....and all the happy customers who send their friends in to see me.....they make up for the "pitas" :)

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    My boss, Dr. Robinson, has done work for the Special Olympics since forever.

Yeah, I love my patients with "bonus chromosomes," as their families like to joke. The entire families are so often full of joy, humor and patience.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    That feeling of knowing you made a difference for someone today is priceless and is what has sustained me and kept me coming back to my first love- opticianry. Keep up the good work all 'yall.

"Heaven wouldn't take me and hell's afraid I'll take over.. " LOL yep that's me.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am very fortunate to work in an office that 99% of our patients are awesome. Always start off asking about my kids, and always greatful for my time and service. I try and be greatful every day of this. It allows me to focus on being a good Optician. Unlike a previous office were I litterally had the police called on me!!!

Probably my most greatful patients are the daughters and sons of our elderly patients. I frequently go out to the car to check adjustments, bring the glasses in and make propper adjustments and then bring them back out to the car. Really simple, and takes little time, but seems to go a long way!!!

Life is good people. Get out and enjoy it!!!
    LDO, ABOC, NCLEC

Slow down everyone your moving to fast, frames can't catch you when your moving like that!

Thread Information