Thread: Progressive Demonstartor

OptiBoard Professional gibby2020's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Progressive Demonstartor

Hi everyone

Anyone out there use a demo to illustrate the difference between conventional PAL vs free form? I ordered two blanks in the same rx: one Adaptar and one Physio 2.0 360. Then I looked at an enlarged amsler grid through each, at various distances. Not that much difference! Not impressive. I'm looking for a practical method to show the customer/client/patient/person hopefully buying glasses from me, the supposed benifits of digital technology. Admittedly I'm not a PAL wearer yet. I guess I should order a pair and try......any comments, suggestions?

Thanks
    OD'd on Eyes

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    The Physio 360 is discontinued and replaced.
    What was the RX you ordered? the biggest difference comes in higher power with Cylinder.
    Looking that far away may not accurately show what is seen through the glasses.
    The physio also is suppose to give more accurate color that you would not be able to see with your test.
    let everyone know what you come up with in the end.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Best action: Have a reputation good enough that your patients will take your word for it.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm not sure that there is a good way to demonstrate the differences that digital processing will make. Perhaps it's a combination of Chips statement and relating the differences to convention vs. high definition TV. Digitally produced lenses are more accurately made, but cannot make an old or poor design better.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    *sigh* here we go again.

First, neither the 360 nor Enhanced series of lenses is a Free Form lens. They use the same blank as their conventional counterparts (Physio and Comfort) and have the Rx run through their software to optimize the back surface. They are still molded progressive lenses. Are they better than their regular conterparts? Yes. Are they as good as a true Free Form lens? No.

So, I know there are demonstrators that have an amsler gird and a Free Form and convetional progressive to show the difference (Seiko has a fairly nice one), but that's about it. I would recommend that, since you don't need progressives yet, someone else in your office or family who does need them get a pair and see the difference. This is definitely a case where "seeing is believing."
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hoya makes a good demonstrator. I think they compair an ID with a GPW. I've actually got it displayed on my desk right now, and most patients when presented with it will go with the ID.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    The amsler grid idea is a great idea but your missing the wow effect and it's due to your choice in PAL's. Order one as a Seiko Surmount and the other as a VIP or Image.

The RX should be something with an oblique cylinder and the SPH equivalent as the focal length they will be mounted at.

The idea behind using the Seiko Surmount is that it is a super flat lens to the point where the backside add is convex, the flatter the lens the less the magnification. The seiko also uses multipolar astigmatic correction which is just fancy talk for all meridians are aspherically corrected so the clarity will be nice and crisp, although the magnification and it's effects are going to provide the real wow factor not the clarity.

The reason behind using the VIP or Image is that they are harder designs and use steeper front curves. Nothing wrong with that in certain circumstances but when mounted at a significant distance from the eye the field will be narrowed and the steepness in curvature will add to the magnifcation. The oblique power will also cause issues with the clarity and view through the lens hopefully provideing a skewed perception of the grid.

I would personally mount the 2 lenses about 13 inches from the grid pattern and make the power +3.50-1.00x045 Add +2.00, the grid pattern should be black on white with thicker bolder lines than an amslers grid.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

OptiBoard Professional gibby2020's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Thanks everyone....I'll be getting my mother-in law a pair of "true" free form lenses from my lab. I didnt bother asking them about the Physio 2.0 360 (that's what's stamped on the blank) being free form. I assumed....
    I agree with Chip regarding gaining the trust of clients, but as a new dispenser the demo will help built that trust over time.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We have the Hoya demonstrator also and its a very nice tool to show people the visual difference. We do sell the hoya ID but the demonstrator works to show the difference between any two lenses where one of them has the add split between front surface and rear surface such as the Nikon Seemax Power or Nikon Presio Power, which both have the dual add technology

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    A demonstartor thread? Who needs that?

Thread Information