Thread: Well this was a first today

Optiwizard making films Audiyoda's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Well this was a first today

Had a gentleman come in today with a broken pair. Although I have the skills to make the repair we simply don't have the facility to do it so I offered him our basic eyeglass package to see if that was something he'd like to consider. Our basic frames are fairly decent (far better than what he showed me had broken) so he decided on a pair. I asked him if he had a current Rx or would he like to set something up with our OD - he said he got his Rx this previous June at LensCrafters.

Called LC only to be told the exam was done by Gift of Sight and that the exam was for a one time use (their exact words) and was destroyed after that. I asked Mr. Manager if he had a copy of any agreement stating this gentleman understood that - Mr. Manager did not. It's just accepted that an exam done through GoS is for a one time use. So...I asked Mr. Manager how the patient is protected under HIPAA when HIPAA demands protected medical information be maintained for 10 years.

Mr. Manager hung up on me. Surprising.

Just got off the phone with the husband of one of my wife's friends - he's a Michigan assistant Attorney General. Needless to say, tomorrow is shaping up to be as fun or funner than today. Always a good time with the ol' LC is involved.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    How about the bogus warranty they sell! You pay for the right to get your new lenses at 1//2 off regular price; but wait, if you get a complete pair the lenses are already 1/2 off!
    Sounds like a scam to me!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    How about the bogus warranty they sell! You pay for the right to get your new lenses at 1//2 off regular price; but wait, if you get a complete pair the lenses are already 1/2 off!
    Well this is lens Crafters. Maybe he would be better off using they see now pay later deal they have.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    You probably want to research before you make a post like this. The warranty is not half price anymore. As far as buying a complete pair and getting the lenses half off, that is the current promotion they are running.
    Also, it's no more of a scam than places that offer "buy one, get one free".

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Audiyoda View Post
    Had a gentleman come in today with a broken pair. Although I have the skills to make the repair we simply don't have the facility to do it so I offered him our basic eyeglass package to see if that was something he'd like to consider. Our basic frames are fairly decent (far better than what he showed me had broken) so he decided on a pair. I asked him if he had a current Rx or would he like to set something up with our OD - he said he got his Rx this previous June at LensCrafters.

Called LC only to be told the exam was done by Gift of Sight and that the exam was for a one time use (their exact words) and was destroyed after that. I asked Mr. Manager if he had a copy of any agreement stating this gentleman understood that - Mr. Manager did not. It's just accepted that an exam done through GoS is for a one time use. So...I asked Mr. Manager how the patient is protected under HIPAA when HIPAA demands protected medical information be maintained for 10 years.

Mr. Manager hung up on me. Surprising.

Just got off the phone with the husband of one of my wife's friends - he's a Michigan assistant Attorney General. Needless to say, tomorrow is shaping up to be as fun or funner than today. Always a good time with the ol' LC is involved.
    You are right, the GM of this store is wrong. The RX is not a one time use item, it's the GOS service that is a one time use item. If the customer were to come in again before the RX were to expire, then he could purchase a pair.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by LensGrinder76 View Post
    You are right, the GM of this store is wrong. The RX is not a one time use item, it's the GOS service that is a one time use item. If the customer were to come in again before the RX were to expire, then he could purchase a pair.
    Can he have a copy of his Rx to fill elsewhere?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by finefocus View Post
    Can he have a copy of his Rx to fill elsewhere?
    Sure he can. He can go see the prescribing Dr. and get a copy if he doesn't have the original anymore.

Thread Information