Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Worth of Transitions

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

The Worth of Transitions

This is just a survey if you will on the value of transitions.

I have several pairs of transitions and a couple of pairs of polarized shades and a couple of non-transition spectacles.

To tell the truth I can see little if any difference in glare or brightness when I go outside with my transition spectacles on. Now when I take them off and look at them they get as dark as you could want, at least in Winter. Now I know about UV etc., but I am talking about wearer precievable glare and brightness.

When I take the transitions off, and put my polarized shades I can see a lot of difference. When I take the transitions off and put on non-photochromic clear lenses, little precievable difference.

Now I can easily see a precievable difference in transions on my bottom line, but as far as wearing them, I can't see much if any.

Now for your comments, if you have ever bothered to make this comparison.

Chip

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    All I have to say is that we've had a lot of VSP plans that cover transitions and so I, of course, always mention that to them. Usually they want to at least try it out and recently, we have been having some people bring them back because they just don't see the benefit of them other than not spending money on an extra pair of glasses. So, we use their one time lab re-make and the funny part is that they have all in turn, bought a pair of polarized sunglasses and they are tickled pink at the difference.

Personally, I am not a fan of Transitions, I love my polarized sunglasses. When people ask me about them, I tell them what I am sure you all tell them about behind the windshield blah blah blah. I let the patient make the final decision if they would like to try them. Most say no, some day they'd like to try it out. I think people are grasping the concept of how beneficial it is to wear sunglasses. I have been selling RX polarized sunglasses like crazy lately and I do believe it's because people are more educated on the benefits of polarized v/s transitions.

I don't know if that really covered what you're wanting but there's my 2 cents :bbg:

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    That's exactly the type of response I wanted.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    That's exactly the type of response I wanted.
    Do I get a prize? :bbg:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't put much worth in them for myself, but many of my patients will give up their transitions when I pry them from their cold, dead hands. I pretty much ditto everything kerry said above about them. I'm considering them for my next pair, just because I've never had them, but I'm concerned that the tint will take away from the bling on the frame.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I am a convert to Transitions fandom with the advent of version VI. Never used to care for them; now I usually get them for myself. The fact that they're now available in 1.67 and 1.74 helps for my myopic self. We sell a lot of them, as well.

What I tell my patients is this: Transitions are NOT a sunglass product. They are an eyeglass product, a convenience product. They do NOT take the place of a sunglass's function, and certainly not a polarized lens. For general indoor-outdoor people, especially kids, Transitions are very nice to have for occasions where carrying a pair of sunglasses is inconvenient. Running errands, working or attending school (teachers of recess-age students love them). They're especially great for kids; just as your skin gets 90% of your lifetime UV exposure by age 18, so do your eyes. But if you're going to be spending a day skiing, driving, playing sports, fishing, etc., Transitions will not function as well as dedicated sunglass technology.

Or they may even work TOO well. A couple weeks ago I went snowshoeing in Evergreen, Colorado. The high altitude, clear skies, and 4 degree temperatures made my Transitions lenses darken so much that it was actually inconvenient. They had to be an 85-90% tint. The next day I wore polarized lenses and was much happier.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Variable tint lenses are a convenience, not a sunglass regardless of the impression that the marketing leaves. Now that they're available in more colors than brown or grey, they can be a fashion accessory as well.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by CuriousCat View Post
    Variable tint lenses are a convenience, not a sunglass regardless of the impression that the marketing leaves. Now that they're available in more colors than brown or grey, they can be a fashion accessory as well.
    You mean like Transitions Splitz? ;-)

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I tend to find the best use for them are for people who are inside and outside frequently. Walkers, people who garden, yard workers, ect. They are a nice add on to a typical pair of clear glasses, but tend to never get the comfort of a regular pair of sunglasses.

I use them when I do not want to carry two pair around. But if I am driving, in the sun all day or golfing, I wear my sunglasses.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I present transitions as a convenience "enhancement" for the main pair. They are only a close substitute for proper sunglasses.

But also...and much more important re: AMD:

Transitions is your personal *sentry*, making sure you are NEVER without a proper HEVL block.

Separate sunglasses or clips are NG if you dan't have them/wear them EVERY time you're out in the sun.

FWIW

B

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I recommend them as "Comfort" glasses, as they make your life more comfortable. But they do NOT take the place of a good pair of Polarized/Drivewear Suns.
    I came, I saw, I left

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Photochromics are perplexing.

I really like photochromic sunlenses, FWIW, but for everyday wear?

Clearly the advantage is convenience. But the trade off is pretty hefty, and they're expensive.

As a "scientific" study, even when they're "free" (covered by VSP), only 1/2 or 2/3 will be repeat customers.

It's really a "push".

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    You mean like Transitions Splitz? ;-)
    No, I mean like clear to navy blue, clear to deep amethyst and clear to G-15 in a free form digital PAL and in free form digital SV. I'll stop by the next time I'm in Richmond.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    As a "scientific" study, even when they're "free" (covered by VSP), only 1/2 or 2/3 will be repeat customers.
    At my practice, it's closer to 95-98%.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    If i'm in a situation like Epcot/Disney, downtown Key West or for that matter Downtown Disney or any situation here in FL where I'm going in-and-out with frequency, I leave my polarized suns. in the car. It's too much hassle going back and forth, my transitions are a life-saver in these situations. I do find myself missing my trans. pair when leaving the office to walk next door to Publix to get something to eat. Transitions are a great convienence/comfort lense.
    Clinton Tower

The intellect to live free is in short supply
    ALT248=°

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I think the geography matters the most. My community has a lot of hunting and fishing and outdoor activities. But I cannot see it being overally popular in Toronto.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Clearly the advantage is convenience. But the trade off is pretty hefty, and they're expensive.

It's really a "push".

drk, this is not my experience. most of my transition wearers will get transitions on their next pair.

B

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

It's really a "push".
    Agree 100%. The patients that DO try the Transitions because they are free, do not get them next year or they'll come back a few months later and want them changed into clear because they don't like them.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    And remember, they darken whether you want them to or not, sunny day or cloudy day. Going to just step outside for a moment, then right back in? You'll come back inside with darkened lenses. I like manual control, not autosetting.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A real downside is a change in Rx in one eye eight months after the original set .
    The mighty oak tree was once a little nut that held its ground

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Perhaps my "study" is flawed by not having to purchase. If you have some price barrier to overcome, then you'd probably screen out a lot of those not truly interested?

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    After wearing a pair of the original Transitions lenses a couple decades ago, I didn't bother with another pair for personal use for many years (I was playing golf and it rained- resulting in dark spots all over the lenses due to the original product's thermo-sensitivity). Patients sure loved them, however- once they tried them, they never left.

The Transitions XTRActive may have won me back (for my personal use glasses)- they're pretty similar to the performance of Photogrey Xtra, IMHO! They don't get totally clear- but they do get pretty darn dark (and they even partially activate in the car). If I were still dispensing, I would probably be recommending a lot of the XTRActive.

Personally, I wear a pair of Rayban mirrored polarized lenses (glass) for driving- best pair of sunwear I've ever owned (and the carbon fiber temples are just cool).

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Transitions is between $80 to $120 upcharge in my store...depending upon lense or material.

B

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I got a pair of free Transition 6 lenses about three years ago and I do like them but they can't compare to real sunglasses. They take the edge off but that's it. I got the brown, maybe the gray would be slightly better. Also my glasses aren't very big so a lot of light isn't blocked. I do have very light sensitive eyes, many of my patients really like them.

My husband wears them and likes them (though he wears Maui Jims suns). Once he had his lenses replaced due to scratches and they lab accidently left off the Transition. My husband could really tell and he missed it.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am also a fan of the XtraActive version. The fact that the do change in the car is a big improvement. I still tell people the are not sunglasses but more of a comfort tint for when they can't use their sunglasses. I think it also matters how light sensitive a person might be. I am one of those people that can wear my sunglasses or tinted lenses in low light conditions so having a lens that offers a variable tint is helpful.

I think that if you don't seem to notice the difference between clear or transitions lenses means you are not all that sensitive to bright conditions. I wish I was that way. There are times that if I have been in a dim indoor environment and go outside into the sun I can't even open my eyes without physical pain. Transitions seem to help do what my iris and pupil have trouble doing.

my 2 cents
    Properly medicated for your protection.

Thread Information