Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: business name ideas

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

business name ideas

I'm looking for a good optical business name. I'm trying to project quality and medical knowledge.
    It would be for a high end optical with excellent service and all digital products.

I like the name Eye Masters, but it just doesn't do it all, plus it's taken.

Any ideas?...

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Keep it simple and descriptive.

I always liked a name involving Eye Care.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper I'm looking for a good optical business name................................

Quote Originally Posted by gators View Post

i'm looking for a good optical business name. I'm trying to project quality and medical knowledge.
    it would be for a high end optical with excellent service and all digital products.

h eye end + service optical

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Incorporate the word "fashion" to your geographic name with eyecare.

Sixth street eyecare fashions

Middle village eyecare fashions

The geographic name will help people remember your name and where you are. Fashion means more upscale.

Harry

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Professional Eyes..ProfessionalEyes...

Visual Connection

Eyes Above

tag line:
    a full service eyecare and optical boutique

I like the word boutique for a high end practice because it makes people think of personalized service and unique selection

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Who shops at boutiques? Women w/ idle time and lots of money? I guess if that's your target market, then go for it. If I were a guy, or a gal w/kids, a boutique is the last place I'd take them shopping for glasses.

How many guys are going to shop at a boutique?

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You could use the French word for Optical shop as I did, Optique. Makes a good optical ~boutique combo.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Darby View Post
    Who shops at boutiques? Women w/ idle time and lots of money? I guess if that's your target market, then go for it. If I were a guy, or a gal w/kids, a boutique is the last place I'd take them shopping for glasses.

Wow! Why don't we just completely generalize! I really get tired of having my attempts to be helpful attacked or otherwise belittled.

My point was finding a word or phrase that speaks high end product and service.

And may I remind you that women are upwards of 70% of patients...at least in my experience.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by libellule View Post
    Wow! Why don't we just completely generalize! I really get tired of having my attempts to be helpful attacked or otherwise belittled.

My point was finding a word or phrase that speaks high end product and service.

And may I remind you that women are upwards of 70% of patients...at least in my experience.
    Easy there...easy.... Just because an opinion does not agree w/yours, do not consider it belittling. My point is that many businesses are named based on the tastes/habits of the owner, and the overlook their market. From your "I'm tired" statement, I assume this happens often to you here. If so, I'm sorry. (I haven't posted very much here, and see that I'm probably not "sensitive enough" to be a frequent poster. I'd hurt too many feelings. I'm sorry if I hurt yours. (Next time, I'll phrase it so it appears to agree w/yours more.)

Generalize? No, I wouldn't do that unless you're trying to attract the "general" public. In that case, generalizations might come in handy.

As I said, if you are going for the female client (your 70%) then by all means, go the boutique route. How about "LaFemme Professional Optical Fashion Boutique"

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Smilie

Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    You could use the French word for Optical shop as I did, Optique. Makes a good optical ~boutique combo.
    Thanks

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Caution

Gators:

You're welcome. One small bit of caution. Unless you intend to advertise a bit (I didn't and I don't), if the general population where you are is as astute as it is here, they won't be able to know what the place is or how to spell it.
    If you have smarter people there you'll be fine.

Chip

Bad address email on file k12311997's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    PersonalEyes Optical - Eyewear for You.

Occupation

“I knew a trade name must be short, vigorous,
    incapable of being misspelled to an extent that will
    destroy its identity, and, in order to satisfy trademark
    laws, it must mean nothing. The letter K had been a
    favourite with me – it seemed a strong, incisive sort of
    a letter.”

(George Eastman on choosing “Kodak as a trade name)

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Naming a practice is an interesting subject, and allow me to put things into the perspective of a practice consultant;

First off, making a patient remember you (once they have already come in) has nothing to do with how cute or 'catchy' the practice name is, but rather how you 'wow' them with your customer service. Because of this, there's no need for the name of a practice to be cute or catchy.

But here's the real scoop on getting the patient in the practice to begin with;

You have to put your feet into the shoes of your optometric target-market...women between the ages of 25 – 54.

These are the people who typically make the healthcare decision for the whole family.

OK...If I was a woman who just moved to the area and I am in need for eye care for myself and/or my family, I will either do an internet search or look in the Yellow Pages (pretty rare now-a-days), and chances are I will come up with between 3-5 practices within my trading-zone.

Here are the names of the different practices I might have to choose from;

-Johnson Optometric

-Anderson Eyewear

-Tulsa Eye Clinic

-Advanced Eyecare (or Advanced Family Eyecare)

-Complete Family Eyecare

OK...'Johnson' and 'Anderson' only tells me the doctor's name, and even if the name has a lot of history in the community (Grandfather was the Mayor, etc.), I won't know that because I just moved to the area. Chances are I'm not going to be persuaded by the doctor's name.

'Tulsa Eye Clinic' simply tells me where you are located, but I have nothing else to go by to help me make my decision of who to go to.

BUT...who wouldn't want to go to a practice that is 'advanced'? This tells me that you have the newest in technology, and that chances are my new eyewear (and/or contact lenses) are going to be more accurate than the competition.

'Family' tells me that you have something for everyone...My Grandparents, myself, my spouse, and my children, and that there will be no second-guessing in my decision.

'Complete' tells me that you do it all under one roof.

I'm simply saying that naming a practice properly can also tell me just how good you are and how good your service is…and better yet can help me make my decision to use your services well in advance.

I have worked with a lot of existing practices over the years who used either their name or the name of the city as their practice name, and it’s not until we take the leap of faith and change the name before we see an exponential growth pattern happen.

In all honesty, there's a lot of your colleagues out there that are blaming their numbers on the poor economy, when in essence it’s the name of their practice that lacks the motivating features to drive new patients their way.

Once you make a list of 4-5 possibilities, show the list to your female friends (your target-market) and have them vote on them. The answer should become apparent right away.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Darby View Post

I own and shop in a boutique. Although my store name does not have the word in it. the concern with the word 'boutique' is that it comes off as expensive which is not always the case. If I were an OD I would go for your last name followed by 'Eyecare' this way everyone knows what you are and what you do.
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer
    • Teacher of the art of crafting handmade eyewear.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by kcount View Post
    I own and shop in a boutique. Although my store name does not have the word in it. the concern with the word 'boutique' is that it comes off as expensive which is not always the case. If I were an OD I would go for your last name followed by 'Eyecare' this way everyone knows what you are and what you do.
    I agree. I would not, however name the practice after myself, as I think it loses value when it's time to sell it. I think it much easier to sell a business that is not attached to an individual's name.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Gators View Post
    I'm looking for a good optical business name. I'm trying to project quality and medical knowledge.
    It would be for a high end optical with excellent service and all digital products.

I like the name Eye Masters, but it just doesn't do it all, plus it's taken.

Any ideas?...
    Digital Optical Service
    sounds like that's what you are to me

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by kcount View Post
    The only issue I have with putting your name into a company is what if you want to sell it off in the future? Sometimes, using initials are easier.

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    How about ONLINE OPTICAL?

/ducks

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    010101Optics

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It doesn't matter what you title your business,patients or customers will just refer to it as "that eyeplace down the street."

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

name

Cf eyecare!
    Money carefully refunded

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Marketing 101..rule number one is to create Top of Mind based on brand name or product. Here is a test..when you think coffee you think?? In the optical community the same should be applied. As mentioned in this thread..complete or family eyecare are great ways to convey to potential patients what your practice offers. A local opthalmologist just recently change the name of his optical dispensory to Eye Candy Optical Boutique. Not sure this creates the TOM related to eyewear.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Eye Tech Designs

*Personalized for your eyes or
    Customized for your eyes
    Last edited by Jubilee; 03-09-2011 at 08:36 AM. Reason: add tag line
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by jubilee View Post
    eye tech designs

*personalized for your eyes or
    customized for your eyes
    personaleyes or customeyes

Thread Information