Thread: LE-9000SX edger is going nuts!!! this ever happen to you?

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Confused LE-9000SX edger is going nuts!!! this ever happen to you?

When I power up the edger, normally the tracer goes through a series of movements then comes to a rest allowing me to either do a calibration or start a frame trace. Now when I power the machine on the tracer starts going nuts...jerking, starting, stopping, opening, and will not stop long enough for me even to attempt any calibrations or trouble-shooting. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

OptiWizard OptiBoard Bronze Supporter pezfaerie's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Does it give you an error code? Have you cleaned out the inside of the edger? Has water gotten inside the edger? There is a torque callibration that you can initialize as you turn on the machine, maybe that it what its trying to do?
    Pez:D

Occupation
    I cleaned out the machine and to my knowledge no water has gotten in...I'm sure the machine is trying to initialize some sort of calibration but gets stuck in the process...should hear back from the manufacturer soon...maybe they have a solution but this machine has been far too finicky for the minimum amount of use it gets. Pez, you were the one that helped me with a problem i was having a few months back so I assume you use the same type equipment but could you suggest another edger with similar capabilities? I think I'm just going to get rid of this thing and buy a new one...leases are so cheap right now.
    Last edited by listenclose23; 02-16-2011 at 08:42 AM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Although I am not familiar with your specific machine, I have had similar issues with trace and edge equipment. Sounds like the servo/encoder motor is receiving bad "impulse" current from mother board. Varify that the cable from tarce motor to main board is seated properly. If you can access...try unpluging cable and reseat.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Did you call Santinelli? Sometimes these things are simple, relatively inexpensive (I know shouldn't use that in the same sentence as the name Santinelli) things.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by listenclose23 View Post
    I cleaned out the machine and to my knowledge no water has gotten in...I'm sure the machine is trying to initialize some sort of calibration but gets stuck in the process...should here back from the manufacturer soon...maybe they have a solution but this machine has been far too finicky for the minimum amount of use it gets. Pez, you were the one that helped me with a problem i was having a few months back so I assume you use the same type equipment but could you suggest another edger with similar capabilities? I think I'm just going to get rid of this thing and buy a new one...leases are so cheap right now.
    Actually the 9000sx and the 7070 are all we use here, both Santinelli and for us very reliable. I'm sorry to hear yours is being so finicky! I <3 my 9000sx express. I like the idea percisionlab had about making sure the cable is seated properly. Don't give up on the 9000 just yet it really is a kick @ss little machine.

Occupation
    thanks for the direction...I'm going to work on it more this morning

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When I power up the edger, normally the tracer goes through a series of movements then comes to a rest allowing me to either do a calibration or start a frame trace. Now when I power the machine on the tracer starts going nuts...jerking, starting, stopping, opening, and will not stop long enough for me even to attempt any calibrations or trouble-shooting. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I have the exact machine and have actually had the same problem.
    The solution that worked for me was to take the tracing unit out, then take the 4 allen bolts out.
    Once you have got the unit out place it on the counter bottom up, pull the casing off. You will see the "wheel" that spins the tracer arm, it should spin freely, if not then gently rotate it around it is probably just stuck. That fixed mine for awhile but it kept doing it afterward. Until we replaced it... I do not know what the actual cause is. Hope this works!!!
    ~Follow Your Bliss~

Occupation
    thanks for the direction...I'm going to work on it more this morning
    Any luck?

Thread Information