No announcement yet.

Management Fail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The optical business is still a BUSINESS, and I'm pretty sure we are still SELLING the glasses.
    The larger the business, the more specialized the individual functions become.

Why is it that every time the subject of educating opticians (in Opticianry, Business, and anything else, for that matter) we hear a bunch of naysayers spouting "we don't need no steenking edumacations!" It would be comical, if it weren't so sad.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Comment

It didn't used to be a business, but a profession. But now even the professions especially ophthalmology have become sales and businesses. Really very sad.
      I for one would never object to education if it actually were still professional education. Now it seems to be 98% sales pitch on the latest and greatest. One often doesn't get to know the nuts and bolts of the latest and greatest because" :"It's proprietary" or incomprehensable without a PHD in physics, or polymer chemistry.
      Heard anyone describe the various shapes of noses? Ears? Devises to fit same in spectacles? The dozens of common hinge design? Frame Repair? Frame adjustment? Coloring frames? Modifying temple lengths, bridge widths? Even whether prism should be measured at a Pupilary position as though the eye were straight or in it's deviated position?
      No, it's how can I make more with less time spent. How can I make sure they don't go to the place down the street.
      Not will this be beneficial to the patient, but can I sell it... and educated (sell) the patient in to thinking he needs or must have it.

Chip
      Last edited by chip anderson; 02-13-2011, 01:54 PM. Reason: Wanted to...

Comment

Here's a couple words that have been completely corrupted, and not used properly for a long time: PROFESSION, and its cousin, the PROFESSIONAL

Doctor, dentist, lawyer. Those are professions in the true sense of the word. Those Professions have stiff entry requirements to be met prior to earning the title. A person aspiring to a profession must invest much time and money in the education required to be a professional.

Opticianry could not protect itself from mass retailers, because there are no requirements to claim the non-protected title in the majority of places. At best, the maximum requirements to be met are a 2 year degree, passage of relatively easy exams and a state license. 2 year degrees are not professional degrees. They are skilled trade degrees. Do we really believe this is what constitutes a "professional"?

I don't mean to imply that there are not highly qualified opticians out there, or that they do not behave in a "professional" manner.
        I do think, though that since the requirements to call oneself an optician in most places are the same as that of fry cook, ditch digger, and crack dealer, I have a difficult time thinking of this as a profession. This is also the reason most opticians really have to prove themselves to get any respect from the eyecare professionals, and the reason most corporate management sees the optician as a salesman or tradesman (at best).

Want to fix it? Require education and licensure, because as long as everyone who wants to pick up a screwdriver and call themselves an optician can, the title doesn't mean anything.
        Wes

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Comment

Doctor, Lawyer, dentist used to be professionals, now they are in sales. Just watch thier commercials, call them on the phone and listen to the sales pitches while you are on hold. Of course opticians used to be concidered low lifes when they advertised too. License, education, now just gives one what Jerry Feldman used to call a license to steal. If one could go to a professional now and feel that everything done or recieved was for the patient, client, or customer's benefit alone, they would still be professional. But one can no longer be assured that what is being done is for more than the professional's bottom line, or to protect him from another group of professionals, the lawyers.
          Having said all this some of the most honorable men I have been priviledged to encounter have been members of each of the groups named. Unfortunately some of the least honorable have also and I fear that the changes occuring are leading to much more of less than honorable group.

Chip

Comment

Originally posted by chip anderson View Post
            Doctor, Lawyer, dentist used to be professionals, now they are in sales. Just watch thier commercials, call them on the phone and listen to the sales pitches while you are on hold. Of course opticians used to be concidered low lifes when they advertised too. License, education, now just gives one what Jerry Feldman used to call a license to steal. If one could go to a professional now and feel that everything done or recieved was for the patient, client, or customer's benefit alone, they would still be professional. But one can no longer be assured that what is being done is for more than the professional's bottom line, or to protect him from another group of professionals, the lawyers.
            Having said all this some of the most honorable men I have been priviledged to encounter have been members of each of the groups named. Unfortunately some
            of the least honorable have also and I fear that the changes occuring are leading to
            much more of less than honorable group.

Chip

Well said Chip

Comment

It didn't used to be a business, but a profession. But now even the professions especially ophthalmology have become sales and businesses. Really very sad.
              I for one would never object to education if it actually were still professional education. Now it seems to be 98% sales pitch on the latest and greatest. One often doesn't get to know the nuts and bolts of the latest and greatest because" :"It's proprietary" or incomprehensable without a PHD in physics, or polymer chemistry.
              Heard anyone describe the various shapes of noses? Ears? Devises to fit same in spectacles? The dozens of common hinge design? Frame Repair? Frame adjustment? Coloring frames? Modifying temple lengths, bridge widths? I'd consider paying to spend a couple weeks with you on these things.
              Even whether prism should be measured at a Pupilary position as though the eye were straight or in it's deviated position? As the prism will deviate the light .28 mm per diopter in the average pt, I specify with a compensated correction.
              No, it's how can I make more with less time spent. How can I make sure they don't go to the place down the street.
              Not will this be beneficial to the patient, but can I sell it... and educated (sell) the patient in to thinking he needs or must have it.

Chip
              Didn't get to see the edit.

Having said all this some of the most honorable men I have been priviledged to encounter have been members of each of the groups named. Unfortunately some of the least honorable have also and I fear that the changes occuring are leading to much more of less than honorable group.

Chip
              Agreed, and good points, but they don't address the decline of the Opticianry field or how to correct it. We cannot prevent the decline; it has already happened. Since the decline of opticianry, there are too few "Chip Andersons" in the world to apprentice the future. Formal education is the only way left to us. Surely you can get behind that?

Comment

Originally posted by wmcdonald View Post
                Let me say this again, and read carefully so it will be clear. I was not attacking you personally. I am told by many corporates that they have better success (in their mind) with hiring managers with the right background and credentials to manage for them. They have established criteria for managers regarding education and training. They do not see most Opticians (note I do not say you, I do not know you) as having the right backgrounds. Does that indicate that we may need additional education and training? It does to me! Most 2-year degrees are technical degrees and not designed to train managers, but Opticians. I was also simply telling you that the very thing you were complaining about is the norm in any large organization. They hold the position, and you do not. Go compete with them! But before your try, I would know that managers should communicate
                clearly. You did not post your experience nor your education in your initial response
                to the OP, and I (again, so you will understand) suggest you take that experience
                and education and go compete with them. The paper trails you are so concerned about will be the same across larger organizations. I hope this is clear.

Wes, you are correct. It does not matter to the corporates (generally speaking that is.....there are some who require solid optical backgrounds) if these folks are Opticians. They want someone who has the education and background in management, and consider us to be no more than glorified salespeople. We can do better, if we compete with them if we have the courage to do more than get on
                here and gripe. Unfortunately when someone like me, who supports Opticians to the maximum level, states what is widely known to most, someone like eye2 takes offense. It is not meant to be offensive, but it is what it is. We must educate ourselves more and get the background to do something more than take a PD and measure a seg height.

I completely understand your point. The point I was making is I know for a fact that I do have the credentials and I know of several others and we have all applied for higher positions only to be turned down for some one from Toilet world or Diaper world. And it was with your biggest boxes. Now maybe your smaller chains are looking for optical experience in management but your bigger chains would rather hire from with out then hire a qualified Optician with many years in optical with management experience. :hammer:

Comment

Businesses tend to try to hire the most qualified match for the position. Perhaps the folks from Toilet and Diaper World were a better fit and had the desired credentials...

Comment

Working...
                  X