Thread: So I had an idea the other day...

Barticus Prime - Optibot opticianbart's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

So I had an idea the other day...

...and I was wondering what you all thought of it.

It's not uncommon for us to have a thread going on the pros and cons of charging for all the different little repairs and adjustments we do for customers. And about how in some ways when you get glasses from a B&M shop you're paying for service.

What if when someone purchased glasses you told them that X ammount of $ in the purchase went towards future repairs for those and any other pair of glasses and if they're rough that they could add to it. Just have an account for the person in the cumputer with a "credit" that could only be used towards new screws, nosepads, ect.

I dunno, it sounded good in my head, but I was curious to hear your oppinions.
    Bart Smith, continuing to be awesome since 1982 so that you don't have to.

Love is a duet, each voice complementing each other and making them sound better than they would alone, each voice at times stepping back and letting the other shine. We've got a pretty good duet going Tina.

On April 28th, I'll be marrying my best friend. I can't wait!

Barticus Prime - Optibot opticianbart's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    And I wasn't thinking of upping the price to do it or anything, simply matching X ammount of "repair credit" to Y amount of purchase. That could build up on the customers account and be used whenever needed. To teach customers that repairs and such have value without having to actually charge them (unless of course they're brutal on their glasses.)
    Bart Smith, continuing to be awesome since 1982 so that you don't have to.

Love is a duet, each voice complementing each other and making them sound better than they would alone, each voice at times stepping back and letting the other shine. We've got a pretty good duet going Tina.

On April 28th, I'll be marrying my best friend. I can't wait!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sounds good in theory!
    Properly medicated for your protection.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Devil's advocate: what happens in a couple of years of no adjustments when they want a refund for what they did not use?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Mike raises a good point......or you might have someone who says "I'm not going to participate in aftercare" and requests that that value be deducted from the purchase.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I applaud you for thinking outside the box, but honestly this is just going to come across as you trying to force some sort of "extended warranty" on the customer... like when you buy something at Radio Shack and they want you to spend an extra $15 to add an extra two years of service coverage to the $20 item you just bought.

By pricing this out as "extra" you're just going to encourage people to say "well I don't want that, so what's the price without the extra coverage?" Then you've sort of backed yourself up into a corner and you can't say it's "free" since you've just assigned a price to it... now you're faced with trying to force the customer to buy something they've just said they don't want.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by opticianbart View Post
    ...What if when someone purchased glasses you told them that X ammount of $ in the purchase went towards future repairs for those and any other pair of glasses and if they're rough that they could add to it. Just have an account for the person in the cumputer with a "credit" that could only be used towards new screws, nosepads, ect..
    I think they would say "Huh?". Small repairs at N/C are part and parcel of our business. I assume we have charged enough for the glasses to absorb the few minutes time it takes to replace a screw or a nosepad or do a re-string (on second thought I would like to charge for those). During those few minutes you might be talking to the patient, asking about the fam you know and reminding them that they are about due for a new pair. I look at these little repairs as a service rendered for being our customer. Plus Bart won't it take time to process these things in the patient's record anyway? And what happens when their "credit" is used up?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    And what happens when their "credit" is used up?
    At that point they'll likely just got to the guy next door that offers free adjustments regardless of where the glasses were bought... and they'll end up buying their next pair from him.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Before giving a credit of anything.............................

Before giving a credit of anything, you must have a charge schedule for materials and time to be charged for whatever repairs.

At that stage you can give them a credit or a discount at point of purchse. From then on you can charge for your services, and make a semi clean cut of your chargeing systems. Your recent sales will have to be serviced without charge for a couple of years.

Have you purchased some equipment at an electronics store or computer place or a home depot and listen to the warranty sale pitch ? Lot of different ways are open to you.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I think it could lead to entitlement for clients who do not use the service.

However, one thing my furniture store did when I bought my LCD TV is offer a refund of the warranty. I am not a fan of those in-store 1/3rd of the price warranties. But, their policy is if you do not use the warranty in five years, you get an in-store credit toward any other product. So I felt more inclined to purchase the warranty.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    what about a gift card sort of idea and the px can pay money into the card a little at a time, then redeem against a new pair of spex when the time comes

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    An extra warranty purchase might also have some folks who normally take decent care of their glasses, decided that "hey I have an extended warranty" so, I don't really have to take care of my glasses! The same issue we have with the normal manufacture warranty we have on the frame for 12 months. Had a young guy all upset, because we would not replace his glasses at N/C because he drove over them............... It is a great idea in thought, but I cannot see how a patient who normally takes extra good care of their glasses needs to purchase something, that is more geared for those who are ruff on eyewear.

Occupation
    Here's an idea, you could create a repair charge and when your patients come in to have glasses repaired you just ring it up and give it to them at N/C. Hand write a note on the receipt "I appreciate your loyalty and business, we'll always cover your repairs".
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    Here's an idea, you could create a repair charge and when your patients come in to have glasses repaired you just ring it up and give it to them at N/C. Hand write a note on the receipt "I appreciate your loyalty and business, we'll always cover your repairs".
    Thats a good idea.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    Beautiful.

We never charge for routine repairs, only if we need to order parts. Oftentimes a patient will expect there to be a charge for those services and are pleasantly surprised when we decline payment. Of course, I have no issue with the school of thought that charges for temple tips, nose pads, etc., but for our 27-year-old practice a reputation for customer care is worth more than those few bucks would add up to.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    Beautiful.

We never charge for routine repairs, only if we need to order parts. Oftentimes a patient will expect there to be a charge for those services and are pleasantly surprised when we decline payment. Of course, I have no issue with the school of thought that charges for temple tips, nose pads, etc., but for our 27-year-old practice a reputation for customer care is worth more than those few bucks would add up to.
    And that's exactly it you never have to charge for it but you condition your patients to see a value in it by having an assigned value. Think Pavlov.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We have always charged for nose pads at Wal-Mart and I can only count on one hand how many people say they wont pay because they get them free at their OD's office.They are usually very happy to pay. We charge $1.99 and the mark up is pretty good.I have never charged for a screw or a repair. I think we have the ability to but I would rather get a new patient then charge a repair fee.

How easy would it be to track how much credit a patient has with you be though? What would it cover what would it not cover?What if you just charged everyone a small % more and said those things are free?

Thread Information