Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Odd thing at the office today..

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Odd thing at the office today..

Had a patient come in with a broken drilled rimless compression mount frame. Found another frame. In mounting the lenses I protected the areas that I had tool contact with a layer of scotch tape. Done this many times before, no problem. Pretty sure lenses were CR-39. Didn't appear to have ARC.
    After getting the old hardware off and the new on, I removed the scotch tape. The coating on both sides of one lens came off with the tape. The other lens was undamaged and the coating seemed to be removable only with scotch tape.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    sure it wasn't poly? Typically that is a sign that the bulb needs to be replaced in the curing unit... The coating will peel cause it isn't adhered properly.
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Had a patient come in with a broken drilled rimless compression mount frame. Found another frame. In mounting the lenses I protected the areas that I had tool contact with a layer of scotch tape. Done this many times before, no problem. Pretty sure lenses were CR-39. Didn't appear to have ARC.
    After getting the old hardware off and the new on, I removed the scotch tape. The coating on both sides of one lens came off with the tape. The other lens was undamaged and the coating seemed to be removable only with scotch tape.

Chip

So,what did the customer say?

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    The customer probably does not even know about it. The lens will scratch over the next little while and Chip will sell another lens.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    who puts CR39 in a drilled rimless?

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    They need contacts. :bbg:

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by eyeoneder View Post
    who puts CR39 in a drilled rimless?
    I was wondering the same thing. A lot of labs will not cover drill mounts if the material is CR39.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I had A/R come-off after removing a blue chip lense protector last week. Sounds like poor coating adhesion/curing. Depending on the pat. I have no problems putting CR-39 in a Silhouette type compression mount.
    Clinton Tower

The intellect to live free is in short supply
    ALT248=°

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The problem isn't with putting it in CR-39...it's getting it to last with ZERO chipping or worse - shattering. Plenty of bone-heads McTicians I've known have tried and many have ended the same way: EPIC FAIL. :hammer::hammer::finger::finger:

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    REALLY! When I started it was an everyday thing to drill GLASS thats right we drilled glass. Very little breakage and they did a terrific job.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Back in the old days when facets were the rage we put CR-39 lenses in the drilled mountings all the time. Had a lot of breakages too. It would never fail, the customer could somehow bend the frame all up without breaking the lenses, but as soon as you touched it with pliers, - SNAP! Quickly learned to remove the lenses, straighten frame, then reinstall lenses.

Two weeks ago, someone brought in a broken Silhouette frame (we replace a lot of these with different frames) with compression mount. Got out my disassembly tool, and SNAP- the lens broke as I was removing the frame. Someone had put CR-39 in the drill mount.
    Around here, you get Trivex in a drill mount or we won't do them. Period.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We will do 1.6 and 1.67 in a drill as well, but no more cr or even poly unless there are no other options. Eyemasters has an AR that would come off with a type of makeup. That one was odd.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    We also find 1.60 and 1.67 to be very stable in drill mounts.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I tried 1.67 in a compression mount once and it broke when I squeezed the pliers.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Professional Rabble-Rouser hipoptical's Avatar
    Occupation
    My initial thought was that the lenses were already coated, and someone spin-coated both sides. I've seen this before. If you coat over a hard coat, the coating will appear to be OK during "normal" wear but it easily comes off with tape. If you still have the lenses, check to see if the spots that appear naked are actually coated. If I am right, and they were "over-coated", you can easily remove the rest of the over-coat with tape and have fresh lenses.
    Aim at heaven and you will get earth thrown in. Aim at earth and you get neither. C.S. Lewis

An explanation of cause is not a justification by reason. C.S. Lewis

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    We also find 1.60 and 1.67 to be very stable in drill mounts.
    It must be just me. I have had a couple 1.60s and a 1.67 (my own -- arrgh -- 1.67 transitions) crack upon installation. I try to be gentle -- honest! I have been using Trivex mostly and, occasionally, poly with Chris Ryser's Drillseal.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper

Quote Originally Posted by NeGlassesGirl27 View Post

I was wondering the same thing. A lot of labs will not cover drill mounts if the material is CR39.
    Whats wrong weith CR39 ? I used to have a lab for 20 years and we mounted 1000 s of rimless glasses from Numonts to Balgrips and Nylors with glass lenses, because there was no plastic lenses and rimless frames have been in fashion forever.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Whats wrong weith CR39 ? I used to have a lab for 20 years and we mounted 1000 s of rimless glasses from Numonts to Balgrips and Nylors with glass lenses, because there was no plastic lenses and rimless frames have been in fashion forever.
    Nothings wrong with CR-39, better materials exist which are suited for the job nowadays. Same as nothing wrong with a classic car that has no seatbelts, that's how they were built back in the days; but if you buy a car nowadays they come standard with seatbelts, as they should.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Had our Esteemed Lord High Highway commissoner on the radio the other day saying: If those killed in auto-accidents 51% were not wearing seat belts. This means 49% were. A meaningless statistic if I ever saw one. Seat belts for passenger cars are a political gimic that made some contributor to some politicians rich and added $2500.00 (inc. air bags, etc.) to the cost of every car to you and me.

Chip

God save us from people who are "From the Government and here to help us."

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Your logic is pretty spurious, my friend. A seatbelt doesn't help much when a car is crushed, rolled, or exploded; it DOES help with rapid-deceleration accidents.

Unbuckled motorists tend to be thrown out of vehicles in accidents; a large percentage of traffic fatalities happen when bodies hit pavement. Seatbelts reduce that.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I ride motorcycles and the danger in a car is completely unintimidating. And God I'd hate to be strapped to a motorcycle.
    I also hate helments, especially being told by BIG BROTHER that I have to wear one because: "It's the law." This made a lot of money for helment makers.

I'm also not too sure that helments (rigid ones) aren't the cause of head injuries in football. Would like to see some statistics on how often these occurred when helments were leather.

But then I'm willing to take my chances on dying. When God's ready I am. But then I have a lot more faith in God than I do in Government.

Chip

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I think Chip might be chagrined to know that I am alive today because my father installed seat belts (from where I don't know) in my first car, a 1957 VW Kombi camper Bus. Went over a cliff after skidding on gravel to miss a dog (won't do that again) rolled over in mid air, got hit on the roof by a big sycamore, which uprighted the van which then slammed into a copse of trees. When I opened my eyes I was looking down at a 60 foot fall to riverside rocks, and my seat belt had stopped me from going out the now open door.

I do think motorcycle riders should be allowed to ride helmetless, just have to carry an insurance rider for brain damage. Chip, what if the government told you to NOT shoot yourself in the head?:)
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.

Occupation
    I had a pretty bad accident at 16. Rolled my mustang a few times. Was going 70 mph and hit an embankment at an angle. Every body panel on the car was destroyed. Can't say I know I wouldve died without it, but I'm sure the injuries wouldve been more severe than a bruised knee if I hadn't been wearing the safety belt.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

"I'm alive today."

I'm alive today because on thousands of occasions I looked both ways before crossing the street. I was taught and advised to do so on many occasions in my childhood. No one makes me do it, no law requires it. There is no penalty for not doing so other than the obvious danger. I don't have trouble with advise and recommendations. But we are giving up far, far too much in the name of "for thier own good." I see a lot of people that lost eyes to bottle rockets and scissors. I'm not one to outlaw either bottle rockets, firecrackers or scissors. I am fully aware of the dangers these present and the harm that has resulted from thier unsupervised use. I feel the supervision should be done voluntarily by the parents.

The world got along very, very well before Big Brother and will get along very well if he dies.
    Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    I'm alive today because on thousands of occasions I looked both ways before crossing the street. I was taught and advised to do so on many occasions in my childhood. No one makes me do it, no law requires it. There is no penalty for not doing so other than the obvious danger. I don't have trouble with advise and recommendations. But we are giving up far, far too much in the name of "for thier own good." I see a lot of people that lost eyes to bottle rockets and scissors. I'm not one to outlaw either bottle rockets, firecrackers or scissors. I am fully aware of the dangers these present and the harm that has resulted from thier unsupervised use. I feel the supervision should be done voluntarily by the parents.

The world got along very, very well before Big Brother and will get along very well if he dies.
    Chip

Chip these boys who are deriding you for going against big brother telling us what we can and can not do, These are the same people who will gladly accept a chip ( no pun intended ) in there right hand or forehead so big brother can watch them where ever they go and what ever they do! :hammer:

Thread Information