Thread: Safety Standards - Z87 Frames and Standard Lenses

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper Safety Standards - Z87 Frames and Standard Lenses

Ok here is a good one. I just called a certain lab, because they put 1.6 lenses with a 1.5 center into a Z87 Frame. We at our establishment, will do this. We will put any kind of lens in a pair of safety frames, but they must be 3.0 or Poly/Trivex 2.0 along with a trademark.

This no name company is telling me that if the patient chooses any frames they will put lenses into them, although the patient should understand that they are not to use them for Safety.

Well, sorry but a patient can tell you one thing and doing is totally another.

Is this a State law (Virginia) or is this universal?

Thanks for the help

Tammy

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    ACK!! (sorry, hairball)

When you placed the order, did you specify 3.0 center lenses or at least "safety" lenses? IMO, any time an order is placed for lenses for a safety frame, the person ordering the lenses should state that the lenses need to be Z87 safety lenses. Don't assume that the lab is going to know or is going to do the right thing.

My understanding is that any time a safety frame is used, safety lenses MUST be put into them (meeting Z87 standards for that particular lens) and the lenses MUST be trademarked. I'd send them back for a no-charge redo (lab error).

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The question is--- Where does it state the a Z87 Frame much have Safety Lenses installed in them. That is what I'm trying to determine. Actually I had a ...... person that didn't pay any attention to what they were doing and wrote it up as a dress pair. We can remake, but I'm just curious as to what and if it is a Stated LAW against this.

Thanks for the reply

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Section 8.8 (in part) "Spectacles utilizing lenses made to individual prescription (Rx) SHALL satisfy all the requirements of this standard, except for those that relate to impact and optical requirements (8.4.2 to 8.4.5). Impact and optical performance SHALL be subject to requirements of Section 13. Only frames which meet the requirements of Section 8, may be used for corrective spectacle protectors.

Section 8.10 Marking (in part) Each lens SHALL be distinctly marked in a permanent and legible manner with the manufacturers monogram.

Section 13 covers the prescription requirements for optical performance, impact testing and lens thickness.

That do it for you?

It would probably be a good idea to have a copy of Z87 on hand to refer to!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No where...no where...does it say that a frame marked Z87 must have safety lenses. It says that corrective spectacle protectors must be in frames that meet the requirements of section 8. No one has ever been able to show me where a frame marked Z87 must have Z87 lenses. I'd really like to see that!

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by CME4SPECS View Post
    No where...no where...does it say that a frame marked Z87 must have safety lenses. It says that corrective spectacle protectors must be in frames that meet the requirements of section 8. No one has ever been able to show me where a frame marked Z87 must have Z87 lenses. I'd really like to see that!
    Page 1, section 2.3.4, Ansi Z87.1-2010. "Non-compliant components shall not be used with ANSI/ISEA Z87-compliant components." If you would like to "see" it, I'd be happy to email a PDF of the page.
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Actually, corrective lenses must meet the requirements of section 13.

Section 13 consists of 13.1 (Intro), 13.2 Optical performance, and refers the power/prism/axis testing back to Z80, 13.3 Impact testing, 13.4 Lens Thickness, and 13.5 Marking.

If a lens meets all of those criteria, it is a Z87 lens. It doesn't have to exactly say those words in order for it to apply. IF a lens with a 1.5 mm center meets the impact testing AND is marked in accordance with Z87, then by defintion, it is a Z87 lens. What more do you want?

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by TamC View Post
    The question is--- Where does it state the a Z87 Frame much have Safety Lenses installed in them. That is what I'm trying to determine. Actually I had a ...... person that didn't pay any attention to what they were doing and wrote it up as a dress pair. We can remake, but I'm just curious as to what and if it is a Stated LAW against this.
    My question here is, did you send the frame to the lab to be edged, or do you do the edging yourself? If you sent the frame, then the lab should have caught that it's a Z87 frame and made the lenses at the appropriate thickness.
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by WFruit View Post
    Page 1, section 2.3.4, Ansi Z87.1-2010. "Non-compliant components shall not be used with ANSI/ISEA Z87-compliant components." If you would like to "see" it, I'd be happy to email a PDF of the page.
    please do...no one has ever been able to show me that.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by CME4SPECS View Post
    please do...no one has ever been able to show me that.
    PM me an email address for me to send it to.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks...no one has ever been able to show me that.

Occupation
    Email sent.

In addtion, page 1, section 2.3.2, Z87.1-2010 reads: "Protectors bearing the permanent marking Z87 shall meet all applicable requirements of this standard in its entirety. All components of eye and face protectors shall comply with the requirements of this standard."

Thread Information