Thread: Team Players

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Team Players

Anybody have someone in your practice who does not pull their weight and constantly hogs patients for comissions leaving you to do all the dirty work?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Optixx View Post
    Anybody have someone in your practice who does not pull their weight and constantly hogs patients for comissions leaving you to do all the dirty work?
    We do not work on commission in the office I'm at, however, I am the only optician in a 2 OD practice so the answer to your question is...yes.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    How does management handle it?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This is the first office I have ever worked at that has a commission program. I balked at first but have come to see it as a lot of extra money for doing what I would normally do anyway. That being said I worried about the competitive and un-teamworthy atmosphere it might create. There are only two of us on the floor so the doc hands us patients on a rotating basis. This works well enough but the other optician is a chatty Cathy so takes twice as long with a patient as I do which results in my getting sometimes two for her one. We tend to even it out on our own throughout the week so in the end our commissions are pretty close. My suggestion would be to either talk to your co-worker or get a little more aggressive and give her a taste of her own medicine.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Tend to your own work and it will take care of itself. One reason men don't like to work with a bunch of women is women constantly snipe at each other. The then expect someone else in authorty to handle the problem. A little of the bad talking them makes me look better sydrome.
    What do men do in same situation, worst case senario, the joust for dominance and if needed go out back together and establish same. The boss need not be troubled.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am a woman and even I don't like working with women. Drama is rampant and no one can beat a dead horse like a bunch of women stuck in an office all day.

Barticus Prime - Optibot opticianbart's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Optixx View Post
    So glad we're not on commission where I work. I feel like it makes customers trust my suggestions much more when I can say "No, I don't make commission on each order, I get paid for putting you in what will help you see best not what makes our practice more money."
    Bart Smith, continuing to be awesome since 1982 so that you don't have to.

Love is a duet, each voice complementing each other and making them sound better than they would alone, each voice at times stepping back and letting the other shine. We've got a pretty good duet going Tina.

On April 28th, I'll be marrying my best friend. I can't wait!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    How does management handle it?
    They are not. that's why i started the thread, to see how you all would handle it. we've all spoken with this person yet they stubbornly refuse to get with the program. we've all been doing this for a long time, this person is brand new and is making up their own rules instead of merging with our established and sucessful way of doing things. basically, we were all happy until this person joined our team.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    What we did here was that all three of the opticians got together and agreed to split all commissions equally. But if they notice someone slacking,(doesn't really happen) they'll pep the one up some. After all if one slows down, all their commissions drop. Might not work everywhere, but it does here.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    had a fine example today of person using stealth moves to try and take commission away from another optician. Unbelievable.

Thread Information