Thread: silver dollar 3 pc issues

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

silver dollar 3 pc issues

does anyone else use the s.d. 3 piece,2150 series, and the plastic nuts continually breaking or coming lose? we'd been using them but have had to stop because of the complaints. anything that can be done to keep this from happening

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Use a lot of them, have less problems than I have with compression mounts, and other bolt on rimless coming loose. You must be putting them on too tight, or have holes too small, or leaving a washer or two out or something. Thier stuff seems to be very good. Or another possiblility some ding bat may be putting loctite or some other stuff on the plastic nuts, or screw threads.

Chip

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I used to use Silver Dollar frames quite awhile ago, maybe 2-3 years...stopped using them because of quality problems - bad welds, off-center welds on the eyewires, weld debris in the groove, carp like that. There are plenty of other low-cost frame suppliers that have higher quality product.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I have had two people that demanded I remove the plastic nuts and put metal ones back one. There's no problem doing that, but you will have to put a metal washer under the nut to cover the 2.0 mm hole or the nut might recess too far into the hole. I think they use 1.4 mm nuts.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    chip, we've maybe had 1 compression mount come loose. we are putting washer on front and backside of lense and tightning down to where you feel it the lense has no wiggle. at first we did tighten them all the way down. either way they still come back over time for few customers.
    years ago we used a rodenstock line with double drill mount on temple design that never ever came lose. they quit importing that line and we havent came accross one as good since. the line art line we are having real good luck right now with though, in the year since they were released we have had one out of over 100 come lose.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    The BT 2150 is not a compression mount. It uses a 2.0 mm hole and an edge notch. The plastic nut also has a bushing that goes into the 2.0 mm hole to secure the lens and the notch secures the axis. You can replace the plastic bushing/nut with a metal washer and a 1.4 mm nut. Of course don't use Loctite if there are poly lenses involved.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    dragon, yes i know, i shouldnt of put the compression mount sentence in front of paragraph.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    One other thing you can do with them is to tighten them down and put a drop of acetone on it to melt it around the post. It won't come loose as easily that way. Of course NEVER do this if the lenses are poly.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeAurelius View Post
    I used to use Silver Dollar frames quite awhile ago, maybe 2-3 years...stopped using them because of quality problems - bad welds, off-center welds on the eyewires, weld debris in the groove, carp like that. There are plenty of other low-cost frame suppliers that have higher quality product.
    Really? We sell tons of Silver Dollar and I find the quality to be above average. We very rarely have repair issues or defects with them. Certainly less than the Safilo, Marchon, Viva and some of the others we carry. As for the 3-piece mounts, we've only been using them for a short while so my track record with them is not extensive but I'm not a big fan of 3-pc mounts anyways. But pound for pound we sell a higher percentage of Silver Dollar than any of the major manufacturers and we love them because they give us the least amount of problems. I've been using SD for 10 or more years now and not experienced any significant issues but if you've soured on them in the past for whatever reason you may want to consider them again in the future. The best part is that they're already some of the least expensive we carry and on top of that they by far give us the best discount.
    "Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it." - Benjamin Franklin.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by eyeguy21 View Post
    Really? We sell tons of Silver Dollar and I find the quality to be above average. We very rarely have repair issues or defects with them. Certainly less than the Safilo, Marchon, Viva and some of the others we carry. As for the 3-piece mounts, we've only been using them for a short while so my track record with them is not extensive but I'm not a big fan of 3-pc mounts anyways. But pound for pound we sell a higher percentage of Silver Dollar than any of the major manufacturers and we love them because they give us the least amount of problems. I've been using SD for 10 or more years now and not experienced any significant issues but if you've soured on them in the past for whatever reason you may want to consider them again in the future. The best part is that they're already some of the least expensive we carry and on top of that they by far give us the best discount.
    Interesting...thanks for the info!

Thread Information