myotor lenticular bifocal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• myotor lenticular bifocal

hi there im new to this site and just finding my way around so please be patient, is anyone familiar with the advantages and disadvantages of the myotor bifocal and are they available to order

Here's a job for Mike! The myotor bifocal is a plano margin lenticular myodisc bifocal(description for the younguns)........The field for distance, and near is dictated by the power of the distance and the near power, made by overlapping fields, thus creating an arc shaped junction.

Advantages:Custom field, and edge thickness control, base curve choice.
    Disadvantages:Difficult to/custom fabrication.

Now heeeere's MIKE AUUUURRRIIIILIOUS!
    Eyes wide open

Comment

A very complicated lens to create and forget about astigmatism it will throw off the segment area. It was fun to make one I took pictures here you go.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	myoter bifocal.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	867922
      1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
      1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
      1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Comment

thanks... much appreciated

Comment

Hey is that a round seg in it?

Comment

Was that done in glass, or freeform CR39, or...., Harry? I wonder what size of field you produced that to, also?
            Eyes wide open

Comment

Cool!! I'd like to see a design layout if anyone has one.

Comment

Neat, Harry.

Using a two-part epoxy to fill in the "bowl" between each surfacing operation will result in crisp lines of demarcation. You can also offer different segment sizes by tweaking the center thickness of the cut used for the segment bowl. Regarding astigmatism, you will definitely need to grind any prescribed cylinder power on the front suface of the lens blank with any minus lenticular lens design, which makes blocking either side a chore for surfacing the other.

Best regards,
                Darryl
                Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Comment

Cool!! I'd like to see a design layout if anyone has one
                  Mike, the "Myotor" is essentially a myo-disc bifocal lens. If you're familiar with myo-disc lenses, instead of surfacing one bowl, for the distance aperture only, you're surfacing two, for both distance and segment apertures. And, as with myo-disc lenses, you can determine your own bowl sizes, based upon the constraints of the prescription and lens blank.

Best regards,
                  Darryl
                  Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Comment

Yeah, ok, that makes sense, thanks Darryl!

Instead of epoxy, we use fiberglass resin (without the fiber of course!) when making slab-offs, and since this is very similar to that process, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Comment

I have a digital lathe and make stuff like that regularly in bifocal and SV form and can slab them as well. Allows us to do things that some of you used to do regularly on old equipment, just with more options. And easier. And faster.
                      As for benefits? Cosmetic mostly. Lighter weight.
                      Aim at heaven and you will get earth thrown in. Aim at earth and you get neither. C.S. Lewis

An explanation of cause is not a justification by reason. C.S. Lewis

Comment

Working...
                      X