Thread: Explanation of polaroid lenses to patients

Seeker of perpetual knowledge specs4you's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question Explanation of polaroid lenses to patients

So we are in a friendly discussion over here about the way to phrase the topic of how polaroid lenses work to laymen, (patients). Someone came up with a real different
    line and are adament about it. Let's hear some ways you out there explain it.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Do you want the patient version of how they work or how it's sold?

Explain how they work:

"Think of louver's on a window. All the annoying glare and reflected light from flat surfaces is blocked by a louver. (used hands to help show the lover) Thats why polarized lenses have to be colored, otherwise the light would simply pass through and it would be just another colored lens." It's simplified but it gets the idea across.

To sell:

"When you come to a four way stop, you'll see past the reflections on the windshield of the other cars, and now you can see who's yammering on the phone and who is paying attention. As well as remove the glare and reflection from, snow, wet pavemeny and asphalt." then hand them a pair and walk outside/ look out the window. Tada, polarized lens fan.

The more interesting conversation is to talk about the neodymnium properties of some lenses. About color banding and color suppresion and the benifits of this property. To show how contrast can be controlled and how ARMD is associated to highenergy low level blue light. Then stand back and watch their heads spin.:bbg:
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer
    • Teacher of the art of crafting handmade eyewear.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by specs4you View Post
    So we are in a friendly discussion over here about the way to phrase the topic of how polaroid lenses work to laymen, (patients). Someone came up with a real different
    line and are adament about it. Let's hear some ways you out there explain it.
    From a few years ago---

http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...HOW-they-work?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    PolarOID made some fun instant cameras once upon a time.

PolarIZED optical lenses are a whole different animal. :)

Barticus Prime - Optibot opticianbart's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    PolarOID made some fun instant cameras once upon a time.

PolarIZED optical lenses are a whole different animal. :)
    +1 :)

However, if you're looking for a good way to explain it to a customer in terms they'll understand...

"You know when you're at the beach? or a pool, or pretty much any place sunlight reflects off the surface of the water? Great, got that image in your head? Alright, now when you look at the water you can't see into it past the reflected light (or glare) on the surface. If you were wearing polarized lenses however, you would see past the glare into the water. (Pretend for a moment you're someplace where the water is clean, because obviously around here you wouldn't see more than an inch into the water anyway.) That same effect of seeing past the glare works with anything that sunlight reflects off, pavement, other cars, snow, ect. Which is why you shouldn't be getting a plain tint for sunglasses - they both lessen the light hitting your eyes, but only one of them actually gets you past the glare!"

Tada! and that's what you tell them.
    Bart Smith, continuing to be awesome since 1982 so that you don't have to.

Love is a duet, each voice complementing each other and making them sound better than they would alone, each voice at times stepping back and letting the other shine. We've got a pretty good duet going Tina.

On April 28th, I'll be marrying my best friend. I can't wait!

Bad address email on file Strab's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Using a demonstration tool speaks volumes but then I also have them walk over to the window (we are on the 2nd floor) and look outside. Usually not much more needs to be said but sometimes I will add (since we are in Michigan surrounded by lakes) that my favorite reasons I like polarized lenses is because you can even see through the water and watch the fish swimming around me and when there is snow on the ground the glare from the sun is blocked making for safer driving. Generally this makes the sale around here but I believe strongly in only using polarized lenses. You will sell the most of what ever it is you believe in.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I say, Polarization is a combination of filters which eliminate glare ( defined as reflected light), from all surfaces..... except metal. Short, sweet, and to the point.
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    You must tell them about the wierd stuff you see in windows. It is not a lens malfunction. The lenses just allow you to see the stress patterns in windows.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    we have a small desk top demonstrator that is so effective, I can't remember the last person we showed it to who did not want polarized suns.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    You must tell them about the wierd stuff you see in windows. It is not a lens malfunction. The lenses just allow you to see the stress patterns in windows.
    Yes, you must. Once in a while I will get someone who asks if it will be hard to see the face on their phone while they are driving. I usually just stare at them for a moment and then say, "Yes. You might have to put your phone down and just focus on driving."
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    You must tell them about the weird stuff you see in windows. It is not a lens malfunction. The lenses just allow you to see the stress patterns in windows.
    +1. Absolutely you must tell them because guess who will be on your doorstep the next morning when they see "funny things" through the lenses.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by NCspecs View Post
    Yes, you must. Once in a while I will get someone who asks if it will be hard to see the face on their phone while they are driving. I usually just stare at them for a moment and then say, "Yes. You might have to put your phone down and just focus on driving."
    +1
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    If they've seen Big Trouble In Little China you can tell them they're "Seeing things others cannot see."
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Bad address email on file Strab's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I also always ask if they have a digital dash, digital radio or tinted windows in their car and explain they may see a wave or spots that make up the tinted windows and that they may have to remove their glasses to see digital screens. I tell them a quick story about a lady I sold polarized lenses to 14 years ago that kept driving from ATM to ATM because she thought they were all broke until she finally lifted her sunglasses at the 4th ATM. Even gas station pumps have digital screens. I always go back to my original statement though about how great they are and how much glare effects their driving. If they have a digital speed-o-meter I recommend tint but that is the only time I prefer tint to polarized (well besides the obvious - pilot). It's amazing how many people don't know if they have a digital speed-o-meter or if their windows are tinted. It is also not uncommon for me to walk with them to their vehicle with polarized and transition lens demos and let them actually try them out in their car and outside.

Thread Information