Thread: Barcode labels for your frames - what do you use?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Barcode labels for your frames - what do you use?

We're looking for bar-coded labels - something that is not intrusive when the pt. tries the frame on and easy to take off when we sell the frame.

And also a long shot question - anyone out there happen to be using RFID for frame inventory?

Thanks Opti's!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    We use a Sato CG408TT-RS, prints a nice little tag with four lines of info.

No RFID's.
    Clinton Tower

The intellect to live free is in short supply
    ALT248=°

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Thanks ScriptFiller ^^^^^ - Anyone else ? We're lookng for something tiny that can be scanned with a handheld scanner and doesn't fall off, but comes off easy

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Flex Sys works well.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Do you have a office software package you want this to work within? Otherwise, Labelwise (software) to create the label and Archcrown labels with the Datamax label maker. Simple off the shelf products all available from Archcrown as a package deal.

If your running officemate or eyevision express the software can create the label and I would still go with the Archcrown labels, and the Datamax label maker. Personally I gave up on the UPC coded frames and use a simple inventory number based system.

As far as RFID, sadly the cost to implement is high and the labels themselves are not designed to be removed again and again. Typically the label is a one shot deal and even then only used for pallet sized products as the cost per piece is too high. The bigger question is, What are you looking to achieve?

If what you want is to speed up and ease the sales process a simple stock number (which your software already create as an Item ID) is a simple method of data entry. This will unify the description and control what the product will be charged at. On my software I simply enter the item ID and the product info comes up along with attributes, sizes, etc.

If what you want is inventory control a bar code probably isn't going to achieve this end point. Remember Barcodes/UPC (universal product code) were designed to help large companies sell product anywhere and unify what describes said product. A 12oz can of Campbell's Tomato Soup is the same everywhere when described by a UPC. RFID's could help you here, but then you would need a reader arch surrounding each doorway so you could track where a frame was at any given time.

If you have any questions I have gone down the barcode road before and can point out some pitfalls.

KC
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer
    • Teacher of the art of crafting handmade eyewear.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by kcount View Post
    Do you have a office software package you want this to work within? Otherwise, Labelwise (software) to create the label and Archcrown labels with the Datamax label maker. Simple off the shelf products all available from Archcrown as a package deal.

If your running officemate or eyevision express the software can create the label and I would still go with the Archcrown labels, and the Datamax label maker. Personally I gave up on the UPC coded frames and use a simple inventory number based system.

As far as RFID, sadly the cost to implement is high and the labels themselves are not designed to be removed again and again. Typically the label is a one shot deal and even then only used for pallet sized products as the cost per piece is too high. The bigger question is, What are you looking to achieve?

If what you want is to speed up and ease the sales process a simple stock number (which your software already create as an Item ID) is a simple method of data entry. This will unify the description and control what the product will be charged at. On my software I simply enter the item ID and the product info comes up along with attributes, sizes, etc.

If what you want is inventory control a bar code probably isn't going to achieve this end point. Remember Barcodes/UPC (universal product code) were designed to help large companies sell product anywhere and unify what describes said product. A 12oz can of Campbell's Tomato Soup is the same everywhere when described by a UPC. RFID's could help you here, but then you would need a reader arch surrounding each doorway so you could track where a frame was at any given time.

If you have any questions I have gone down the barcode road before and can point out some pitfalls.

KC
    Thanks KC. We are using Officemate. We use FramesData CDROM and use FrameMate to pull in frames to the Officemate Product database that we can offer, so I imagine its easiest to use the codes FrameDATA supplies. We currently have a barcode scanner and use the UPC's that ship with the frames. We use barcodes for inventory management and checkout and also use the PO system it offers. But the tags we currently use fall off and get in the way when trying on a frame.

Officemate is recommending SATA printers and they use a "butterfly" tag, which would stay on, but still is in the way. Similar to these from Arch Crown: http://www.archcrown.com/productcate...subcategory=12

As far as RFID, I would love to push a button and have inventory done - which would be my goal. However, I think OM, sadly, would puke in this area (it already has a bunch of issues that make it difficult)

I've been wondering if the 2D codes may work. They are small, so you could place it on the lens, away from line of sight.

Which tags from Arch Crown are you using?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Presently I use this one DT397 KIMDURA - DIRECT THERMAL TAGS this is a small jewlery tag, just big enough for product info, price, and a stock number.

In the past when I was using bar codes I used : TT307 - MYLAR THERMAL TRANSFER TAG

In the end any tag is going to get in the way on occasion.
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer
    • Teacher of the art of crafting handmade eyewear.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Do you mean something like these?

One size, mainly use for optical frame only.

This come in 3 size, for different size frame and sunglasses

They are reusable too. Pm me if you are interested.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    We're giving some serious consideration to a 2D barcode system. The only problem with it that I have found so far is that Officemate doesn't support printing, so we will need to cut and paste UPC codes before printing. Which should be too big of a deal, cause we can just scan the linear code into the printer software and then print.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Austin,

OfficeMate does support barcode printing. I've done 1000's. The tags I get from Arch Crown, they are familiar with OfficeMate users. In the product details tab of the frame you want to display, highlight the specific one you want then hit the print label button. The tags we use are 12X32mm, the barcode is on one side and the description info on the other.
    Clinton Tower

The intellect to live free is in short supply
    ALT248=°

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Just call up archcrown and tell them what your needs are....they can walk you through several different options. They did this for me about 2.5 years ago and I am still very pleased.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by scriptfiller View Post
    Austin,

OfficeMate does support barcode printing. I've done 1000's. The tags I get from Arch Crown, they are familiar with OfficeMate users. In the product details tab of the frame you want to display, highlight the specific one you want then hit the print label button. The tags we use are 12X32mm, the barcode is on one side and the description info on the other.
    Yes, but they don't support 2D. 2D can be tiny, we want to be able to stick in on the lens and not worry about it getting in the way when trying on and also not blocking vision. And not getting makeup smudges all over it. Yech!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I did, when I mentioned 2D they said they would need to call their engineers and get back with me. They never did.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    UPC barcodes are commonly used by our company. Barcodes were printed on small pieces of adhesive paper, and attached by hand by store employees when they were adding price tags. Generally these barcodes are created by a professional barcode creator add-on.

Thread Information