Thread: Lens wishes

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Lens wishes

We all know we wish for a 1.70 index, 42 ABBE Trivex,but what other lenses would you like?

I'll start:

A more dimensionally stable substrate for Transitions 1.50 index.

How many of you have had Transitions lenses turn into a potato chip shape after a while?
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Polarized lenses that are auto notched.
    Jana Lewis
    ABOC , NCLE

A fine quotation is a diamond on the finger of a man of wit, and a pebble in the hand of a fool.
    Joseph Roux

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jana Lewis View Post
    Polarized lenses that are auto notched.
    You know they make SV polarized lenses now with engravings similar to progressives so you always know where the polarization axis is.......

I'd like a lens with a light activated polarization filter. So you could have a clear lens, say, for driving at night, but in bright light, the filter itself would darken and give you a polarized lens.
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Bad address email on file RetroRat's Avatar
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A little unrelated, but I always thought it would be nice if we could manufacture a frame that was legitimately unbreakable.

Some patients come in and all you can say is "Yes, we'll replace your broken spring temples *again*, please continue to shatter them at your convenience. You know how that thrills me."

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Reminds me of a patient yesterday...

"Yes, these come with a two year warranty"

"Great, we can break them at one year and eleven months to get a new frame!"

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I want lenses that record everything from my perspective for later play back. I'd finally win an argument with my wife!!!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
    I want lenses that record everything from my perspective for later play back. I'd finally win an argument with my wife!!!

HA! Never!! She might be wearing them too.:bbg:
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    We have been processing 1.70 for the last 5 years. Awesome product both in SV and 2 Progressive styles. Nothing in FF yet, because of the front side aspheric design. Just FYI
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters
    Laramy-K Optical

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would wish for....truth in manufacturer's statements about what their product can do,... and some industry simplicity in naming their brands. Mocha Latte, no foam, anyone?
    Last edited by uncut; 01-23-2011 at 10:27 AM. Reason: spell issues

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Mo wishes

High Tech lenses that the public can either afford or bring themselves to spring for.
    A large chart from OLA listing every lens made (or at least the common ones) and the uses, applications, strengths and weaknesses (optical) for same. In other words a chart showing: All short corridors, when and when not to use them. All special application (compter, welding, whatever) lenses and it's strengths. When and when not to use materials with drill mounts, groove mounts, etc. When a certian material is over-kill (1.74 index in a -1.00 for example) and when a given size and Rx makes it the best application (not according to the lens manufacturer but in the real world where the seller's ecconomics are not the primary concideration.)
    Lens coats that really hold up more that a temporary period, tint, and withstand heat, like in a closed up car in the sun in the South.
    Photochromics that work as well in hot weather as in cold.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    High Tech lenses that the public can either afford or bring themselves to spring for.
    A large chart from OLA listing every lens made (or at least the common ones) and the uses, applications, strengths and weaknesses (optical) for same. In other words a chart showing: All short corridors, when and when not to use them. All special application (compter, welding, whatever) lenses and it's strengths. When and when not to use materials with drill mounts, groove mounts, etc. When a certian material is over-kill (1.74 index in a -1.00 for example) and when a given size and Rx makes it the best application (not according to the lens manufacturer but in the real world where the seller's ecconomics are not the primary concideration.)
    Lens coats that really hold up more that a temporary period, tint, and withstand heat, like in a closed up car in the sun in the South.
    Photochromics that work as well in hot weather as in cold.

I may be able to help you on the high tech lenses that the public can afford as well as a good coating. PM for details

BG

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by WFruit View Post
    You know they make SV polarized lenses now with engravings similar to progressives so you always know where the polarization axis is.......

I'd like a lens with a light activated polarization filter. So you could have a clear lens, say, for driving at night, but in bright light, the filter itself would darken and give you a polarized lens.

Who do you think is manufacturing this polarized product with engravings? Experio, anyone? Essilor labs are not even supposed to USE Younger product...by the way, those little "engravings" get in the way with fully backside progressive lenses..
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters
    Laramy-K Optical

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    I know I can help with that one! Just can't remember your address...

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
    Sony's working on it :)

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/04/s...r-lifelogging/

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by thep View Post
    We have been processing 1.70 for the last 5 years. Awesome product both in SV and 2 Progressive styles. Nothing in FF yet, because of the front side aspheric design. Just FYI
    Vision-Ease's Thindex 1.70 is available in a spherical SFSV for digital surfacing.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by thep View Post
    Who do you think is manufacturing this polarized product with engravings? Experio, anyone? Essilor labs are not even supposed to USE Younger product...by the way, those little "engravings" get in the way with fully backside progressive lenses..
    Xperio is a brand, not a manufacturer. Yes, it's Essilor's brand name for Polarized lenses, distributed through their two dedicated (formerly independant) polarized lens companies (KBCo and Specialty Lens Co.).

I've never had a problem with the engravings getting in the way for FreeForm engravings, but you can always order the blanks without the engravings as well.....but they are convinent for cribbed lenses. I'm hoping VisionEase and Younger will start offering the option as well.
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Thread Information