Thread: I need a freaking sign posted in my office

Barticus Prime - Optibot opticianbart's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper I need a freaking sign posted in my office

I feel like I need a sign in my office that reads.

Yes, I understand that you've been wearing glasses for longer than I've been alive, but honestly, how long have you been an optician? I mean, seriously, I've been using a brain for 28 years and that doesn't qualify me to be a neurosurgeon does it? So please, slow down , hold still and let me adjust your glasses properly.

/rantoff
    Bart Smith, continuing to be awesome since 1982 so that you don't have to.

Love is a duet, each voice complementing each other and making them sound better than they would alone, each voice at times stepping back and letting the other shine. We've got a pretty good duet going Tina.

On April 28th, I'll be marrying my best friend. I can't wait!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by opticianbart View Post

Yes, I understand that you've been wearing glasses for longer than I've been alive, but honestly, how long have you been an optician? I mean, seriously, I've been using a brain for 28 years and that doesn't qualify me to be a neurosurgeon does it? So please, slow down , hold still and let me adjust your glasses properly.

/rantoff
    +1

I officially started at 17 years old and I finally got to the point that I stopped asking patients what I could help them with and started telling them instead. After I made the appropriate adjustments, I'd then ask "is there anything else I can help you with today?"

Being older, now, I don't get it as much, but it also helps that the OD has my back now-a-days.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    "I've made more glasses in one day than you have worn your entire life, so pretty sure I'm ahead here."

I REALLY want to say that some day.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

/rantoff
    You could have neon signs posted above patients heads and they still wouldn't understand.. :hammer:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner05 View Post
    "I've made more glasses in one day than you have worn your entire life, so pretty sure I'm ahead here."

I REALLY want to say that some day.

Hahahaha! Love it!

I usually say with a flirtatious smile, "Don't worry, this ain't my first rodeo.." It gets a few laughs and settles a pt down, especially my senior citzen gentlemen. :)
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Let them vent, then take the glasses in the back room and do the proper adjustment they really need. My manager from way back, when I interned during college, told me there are jerks out there. Fortunately, they're a very small percent. Don't let them bother you; you'll get your satifaction from working with the rest of the people. It really put it in perspective for me.
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Occupation
    Optical Retail

/rantoff
    The older I get, the less patience I have, particularly in situations where I know the fix the patient needs is utterly routine and they won't stop talking about it as if it's the most complex issue in the world.

Yes, I can SEE that you have one ear a bit lower than the other, and I DO know what to do about it.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by NCspecs View Post
    Hahahaha! Love it!

I usually say with a flirtatious smile, "Don't worry, this ain't my first rodeo.." It gets a few laughs and settles a pt down, especially my senior citzen gentlemen. :)
    *shivers* Then I get the older guys that come in and call me little pet names. Sir, you're old enough to be my grandpa. I'm 27 and I do not appreciate you calling me sweetie, sweet cheeks, pumpkin, whippersnapper or hun. It's people that get huffy with me that I will say, "I just started today" Just to see the look on their face

It reminds me of Dumb and Dumber. "It's Ok...I'm a limo driver!!!" :bbg: :bbg:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    The older I get, the less patience I have, particularly in situations where I know the fix the patient needs is utterly routine and they won't stop talking about it as if it's the most complex issue in the world.

Yes, I can SEE that you have one ear a bit lower than the other, and I DO know what to do about it.
    Hehe. Those are the best. I love it when someone says my glasses are crooked and I'll joke around saying, "Well clearly it isn't the glasses" :bbg:

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    A little bit of slowing down and listening goes a long way, explain pros and cons with thier current frames, give a suggestion and it's benefit and watch them return with thier whole family.

You can either bend thier glasses back into shape or adjust them to thier needs.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I started when I was 14, so I am used to it. I just referred them to an older optician if they were not happy. He usually then introduced them back to me and let them know that I am more than capable of helping them. They were then fine.

Also, people need to realize that when they get their glasses adjusted, they need to sit there and let you do your job. I had one lady that everytime I did a tweak and put them back on her to see the positioning, she would run up and look at a mirror. It is like trying to see if a table is level and everytime you put the level on, the table runs away before you can see if it is positioned.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Keri_Leigh27 View Post
    *shivers* Then I get the older guys that come in and call me little pet names. Sir, you're old enough to be my grandpa. I'm 27 and I do not appreciate you calling me sweetie, sweet cheeks, pumpkin, whippersnapper or hun. It's people that get huffy with me that I will say, "I just started today" Just to see the look on their face

These kinda guys are my people. Send me a cranky, old, gross man, and I can make them leave smiling. It's the cranky middle age women who make me want to run for the hills. I could walk on water, and they would still look at me with hate and disdain.

@ opticianbart, this is how I feel about contact lens wearers. I love it, we should have that made into a bumper sticker, and all us optical geeks can drive around laughing to ourselves.

Not that it matters though, because according to my six year old, I don't know anything anyway.

OptiBoard Apprentice Lachrymator's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Keri_Leigh27 View Post

Omg I use that quote all the time to the tech I work with after we deal with one of those huffy patients. I just turn to her and say "It's ok... I'm a limo driver!" in my best Jim Carey. A good comic relief always makes me feel better after those types.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachrymator View Post
    Omg I use that quote all the time to the tech I work with after we deal with one of those huffy patients. I just turn to her and say "It's ok... I'm a limo driver!" in my best Jim Carey. A good comic relief always makes me feel better after those types.
    We used to say, "I'm hearing the voices."

It's that voice in your head that says, "It's OK to leave work. Come home to me, hold me close, carress me. I love you"

It's not your significant other. It's that glass and bottle of wine you have chilling in the refrigerator.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I can deal with just about all kinds but when I get one that say's "I used to be an optician" I hand over the pliers.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by cocoisland58 View Post
    I can deal with just about all kinds but when I get one that say's "I used to be an optician" I hand over the pliers.
    I had one of those earlier this week. I had a suspicion the person knew what they were doing because of the "lingo" she was using..

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I had someone act snotty and pull the "I used to be an optician" line on me once. So I handed them the tools and asked "were you certified and licensed?" "No". "Then you weren't really an optician."
    (This is a licensing state.)
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Barticus Prime - Optibot opticianbart's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Strangly enough we have one of those, and at the moment I forget what's going on in his eyes, but he's nearly blind these days. And he's one of our nicest customers, and always patiently lets us fix and/or adjust his glasses.
    Bart Smith, continuing to be awesome since 1982 so that you don't have to.

Love is a duet, each voice complementing each other and making them sound better than they would alone, each voice at times stepping back and letting the other shine. We've got a pretty good duet going Tina.

On April 28th, I'll be marrying my best friend. I can't wait!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Lately my favorite is when a patient asks, "Why do frames cost $200?"

I never used to know what to say, but lately I just state, "I don't know what to tell you, that's our price. You're free to shop elsewear."

I want to go into a grocery store and ask, "Why does this ice cream cost $3.00?" Like the cashier makes the prices. I'm a freaking worker bee. I don't make pricing decisions.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    "... but I googled it!!!"

:: rolls eyes ::

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUOTE=optilady1;377825]Lately my favorite is when a patient asks, "Why do frames cost $200?" [QUOTE]

It's a legitimate question and one I get asked from time to time. I usually tell them that it depends. Just like any other product sometimes the price reflects the material and craftsmanship and sometimes yes you are paying a premium for a designer name.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Plus, demand for particular styles, etc. Economics play into this.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optilady1 View Post
    Lately my favorite is when a patient asks, "Why do frames cost $200?"

I never used to know what to say, but lately I just state, "I don't know what to tell you, that's our price. You're free to shop elsewear."

I want to go into a grocery store and ask, "Why does this ice cream cost $3.00?" Like the cashier makes the prices. I'm a freaking worker bee. I don't make pricing decisions.
    "Because I wanted to make extra money off of you so I can go out to dinner tonight"

I understand people want to ask questions but I agree. I don't go into the store and ask why this costs this and this costs this. I also don't get groceries, get up to the cashier and say "Oh you know what. I left my card at home. Can I just pay later?" or I go get my haircut and I say, "I don't have any money..I was supposed to pay for this today?" I don't know why Optical would be any different. You are PAYING for a SERVICE that we provided and that money is rendered at the time of service.

Like you said, I don't make up the prices, especially VSP. Don't complain to me about what YOUR insurance covers. Do I have "I'm Your Insurance Company So Complain To Me" wrote on my forehead? No. Didn't think so. When I am asked why is this that price, I'll generally say because of the materials that are used to make the frames and naturally you're looking at a Coach frame that is $350...duh. That's like saying, "Um sir..why is this Lexus $45,000?" I always love the patients that throw the, "Well I found them cheaper elsewhere, can you price match?" Again..does it look like we're at a Wal-Mart? Honestly lol :angry:

Thread Information