Thread: Information on Sputter Coating AR mechines

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Information on Sputter Coating AR mechines

I am intrested in the purchasing of the above mechine. Does anyone of you guys out there have any experience with this type of mechine and the process it uses? how is the quality of the AR coat with respect to abrasion and peeling? what is the actual cost to do an AR per lens?
    Any further information that you can supply me with would be of great assistance.

regards

Optiman 1000

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    The only thing I know about it is that it is not as durable a coating as ion gun type.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    i used a satisloh sp-200 for a while. Its a good machine, does AR and mirrors. Just be sure to get a vacuum oven to bake on your hydrophobic coatings. and you have to be careful of what backside coatings you use. The manufacturer of the machine your thinking about will most likely tell you what the best backside coating is for their machine. Also be sure to use alloy for surface blocking, something about wax and freebond that AR units don't really like.

ohhhh and 1 more thing. If it starts to look colored (red, blue, starts to look like a mirror) clean the chamber, i think they say to clean it every 8 runs so be sure you do that.
    equal opportunity offender!!

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper clean the chamber....................................

Quote Originally Posted by bhess25 View Post

clean the chamber, i think they say to clean it every 8 runs so be sure you do that.
    The hydrophobic chemicals are the worst offenders to get the vacuum chamber dirty.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    The hydrophobic chemicals are the worst offenders to get the vacuum chamber dirty.
    the bonus is that those chemicals don't get applied in the AR unit. a small vacuum oven is best to apply the hydro coating. but your right its a pain to clean those ovens.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I have been thinking about one of the SP 200 units to produce a generic coating. There are several used units on the market and I MAY get one. I will be watching this thread to see what others say about the machine. Zeiss (and probably others) also have or had them, what about these machines??

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
    I have been thinking about one of the SP 200 units to produce a generic coating. There are several used units on the market and I MAY get one. I will be watching this thread to see what others say about the machine. Zeiss (and probably others) also have or had them, what about these machines??
    the sp-200 definitely a good machine. the coating isn't as durable as an ion gun unit, however i have seen the coating hold up for at least 5 years now (i need to make me some new glasses!). and you can do whatever color AR you want, from light green into a darker green to blue, or even do vanity AR in different colors to match frames, you could do it in red, blue, green, gold, just about any color you want, also mirrors, the unit will do any mirror you have seen, even the cool ones that seem to change colors as the frame is moved around. just about any sputter coater will do a good job for you, they are relatively inexpensive, easy to operate, space saving, low cost on upkeep, and easy to maintain. You just have to follow maintenance guidelines that come with your unit, there are too many problems that could pop up on lenses if you don't clean the unit (chunks of target material on lenses, wrong color, could start to look like a mirror, etc.). I used the sp-200 and found that to be a very nice unit, and the customer service from satisloh was top notch, if we ever had a problem they would walk us through a possible simple fix and if that didn't work they came out to fix it in no time.

Thread Information