Thread: Old time lurker, new poster. Having some trouble with reps..

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Old time lurker, new poster. Having some trouble with reps..

Hi! I'm the manager of my mother's optometry office, she's the O.D and I do pretty much everything else, which includes getting in touch with sales reps and dealing with them. So. We are newly open, we've been in business for about 3 months now.
    It's getting better, but we are pretty small and cannot possibly compete with the other optical office about 3 or 4 blocks down.
    I suspect this has something to do with sales reps never contacting us. I don't know.
    I've been trying to contact contact lens reps for months, and the only one who actually met us (B&L) just stopped keeping in touch after that initial meeting.
    I've called, emailed and even sent a facebook message to him, but nothing.
    Is this a normal occurrence? I feel like I'm either being ignored because we are still starting up and don't have as many sales, or that the other optical shop is somehow preventing the sales rep to meet us or something.
    I might be just paranoid.

I'm doing my best to help out but I have no previous experience in the sales or optical field, so it's really difficult. I hope you can help me along with advice.
    Thanks so much for reading, and I hope you have a wonderful day.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by hisuida View Post
    Hi! I'm the manager of my mother's optometry office, she's the O.D and I do pretty much everything else, which includes getting in touch with sales reps and dealing with them. So. We are newly open, we've been in business for about 3 months now.
    It's getting better, but we are pretty small and cannot possibly compete with the other optical office about 3 or 4 blocks down.
    I suspect this has something to do with sales reps never contacting us. I don't know.
    I've been trying to contact contact lens reps for months, and the only one who actually met us (B&L) just stopped keeping in touch after that initial meeting.
    I've called, emailed and even sent a facebook message to him, but nothing.
    Is this a normal occurrence? I feel like I'm either being ignored because we are still starting up and don't have as many sales, or that the other optical shop is somehow preventing the sales rep to meet us or something.
    I might be just paranoid.

I'm doing my best to help out but I have no previous experience in the sales or optical field, so it's really difficult. I hope you can help me along with advice.
    Thanks so much for reading, and I hope you have a wonderful day.
    I'd call the head offices and explain your situation to the sales reps boss. A customer is still a customer, and in this case - you're the customer. It's entirely possible that a bigger player is asking them not to call on you, but regardless - you should have access to the products you need as long as you - A.) Pay the bill on time and B.) Don't fit the products without the proper qualifications and licenses.

Why not go to the other clinic/store and pop in to see the owners. Introduce yourselves and get to know your collegues. You're all in the same boat vying for the same clients, but if the goal is patient care extraordinairre - then you should be able to be civil (them not you).

Cheers and good luck -- btw have you seen Dr. Walt West's online programme called "Pulse Points of a Million Dollar Practice"? I'm the NZ affiliate, but its a great programme with plenty to offer a start up business.

Thread Information