Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread: I need my PD taken

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper B&M Opticians will have to have a price schedule for work and time ..................

Quote Originally Posted by hcjilson View Post

What is the problem? The online customer has been lost to you already. When he is standing in your store, he IS your customer.

The simple solution to any successful business is to give the customer what the customer wants.

Your argument is flawed.
    1. Your license will not be "on the line"
    2. You will be paid for your time which will be something novel in this industry.

This is the best response in a very long thread that really has gone nowhere, is totally repetitive in just about every post.

I have closely followed the on line trend in the optical field over the last few years. I have followed their website activities and they just have continuously gone up and have increased.

10 years ago optician sang hallelujah to Essilor as their professional Saviour and totally ignore their ruthless ways of doing business. Some unified action at the right time might have changed the ways of development.

In a similar way the on line business was never even discussed on OB, it was a taboo issue. Now that soma on line companies even post their successful sales, some governments even changed their laws governing opticians, opticians still want to overlook customers that they have lost and buy glasses that have been ordered as far as China.

Opticians will have to change their way of making an income. Optometrists have done this years ago and have charged for services rendered. B&M Opticians will have to have a price schedule for work and time rendered on products they did not and will not sell.

I am actually foreseeing some recommended service stores or centers in well and densely populated areas, recommended by on line opticals for all before and after sale services. What a startup future for a young and sharp optician to start such a business. Barely any inventory needed a few instrument and thats it. Charge a flat (example only) $ 50.00 for supplying the PD and other measurements plus adjustments after delivery.
    Working in a good town and being recommended by the on line sellers.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Had a lady in yesterday that asked for her PD because the Doctor she went to said she could get it from us. I told her it was a professional service and there would be a charge. She replied that she would go to Wal Mart and get it because they didn't charge. I really wish the Optical professionals would look at every aspect of our profession as being a "technical service" with value! Don't undermine our worth!
    The mighty oak tree was once a little nut that held its ground

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Lots of luck getting a 50 dollar fee to measure for a 25 dollar pair of glasses.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post

I am actually foreseeing some recommended service stores or centers in well and densely populated areas, recommended by on line opticals for all before and after sale services. What a startup future for a young and sharp optician to start such a business. Barely any inventory needed a few instrument and thats it. Charge a flat (example only) $ 50.00 for supplying the PD and other measurements plus adjustments after delivery.
    Working in a good town and being recommended by the on line sellers.
    Watch what our biggest vision plan down here, VSP, does. They're going to pioneer this concept--for optometrists.

Opticians will have to change their way of making an income. Optometrists have done this years ago and have charged for services rendered. B&M Opticians will have to have a price schedule for work and time rendered on products they did not and will not sell.
    Good idea, but...
    Lots of luck getting a 50 dollar fee to measure for a 25 dollar pair of glasses.
    Chip's right on. You don't even need to be a freaking optician to do this. How about a high school kid with a $250 pupillometer and a summer job? Maybe my nine-year-old can add the service to his lemonade stand.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    WalMart is not run by professionals and they couldn't care less about opticianry, which is a neccesary evil for them to do business (for now).

They feel it will generate foot traffic and they like their odds competing with onliners.

The owners of WalMart are only a small notch above online glasses operators.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I agree with Chip that there must be new ways of looking at the job category of optician. But before think about that, there is a lot of misinformation on this thread about online optics. At the risk of getting lynched here, I will say that I ordred my first pair of online glasses about two years ago, while working in the industry and qualifying for a big discount if I bought where I work. My reason was the styles carried by this shop and all the others in town (lwide lenses with very short corridors), and the frame selection which did not include a size that fits me.

I am a fairly small person and wear a size 40, and have a narrow pd. There was nothing anywhere for me unless I wanted my glasses to say Barbie or Sponge Bob. It used to be fairly easy to get what I wanted, but not now. I got a new script which included pd as it does for anyone who askes for it in my state, and started looking online and found what I needed and tried it. Contrary to what I'm reading here, I had to fax them a copy of my script, which is not an easy one with ou sphere about -2.0 and cyl right at 6 with add of 2.50. Ended up with a Kawasaki 631 three piece with very small nose piece and short temples but longer than on Barbies, with Physio 360 lenses. Not the 25 dollar specs you talk about here. There are several companies that provide high end products at discount prices that seem to run around 40% off retail.

When I got the glasses they were terrific. Since I know how to adjust, it was easy for me. If I hadn't already been working in the industry, I would have been quite happy to pay an optician $50 to do it for me. It took 3 weeks to get them, but was told turn around time is about 10 days if cyl is less than 4.

So there are some lessons here. If the retailers didn't just stock what was currently in style, but carried a selection that would fit all kinds of people and offer other alternatives, they would not have lost me as a customer. And contrary to what I have read on this thread, I do care about my eyes and am willing to pay up to get what I need and want. Looking at what is on the faces of people I see and work with, this is the norm, although I work in a semi-upscale shop. Until you actually educate yourself about what is going on in online sales, you won't be able to come up with an intelligent defense. And if I spend just over $600 on a pair of online specs, i won't think twice about paying for them to be adjusted.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    "retailers" don't know what "fits" people. Professional eyecare people do
    Frame companies don't know what fits people, or the niche-needs that are out there. Professional ECPs do.

It's not B&M fault. It's the nature of where our industry has evolved to.

Knowledge is no longer respected. Only $$$$

It's the golden age of the golden calf.

B

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Agree, Barry.

Consider this small change to your post: "Wisdom is no longer respected. Only $$$$."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You know, those people shopping online have probably lost their jobs because the jobs went to China or India. That's probably where the online optical is located.
    The mighty oak tree was once a little nut that held its ground

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by MVEYES View Post
    You know, those people shopping online have probably lost their jobs because the jobs went to China or India. That's probably where the online optical is located.
    Hah! The irony. You are probably right!
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Actually, the online optical I used is in California. Started by some people who knew opportunity when they saw it.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In 1995 having been licensed for 19 years, a busy practice with 4 referring MD's next door to me, I was bored and started a contact lens website, it was like taking candy from a baby, then an sunglass site and lastly, in 2005 an eyeglass site ALL were very profitable and all were sold for profit. There is too much competition today for me to do it again and I'll most likely be retired in a few years.
    I have yet to have anyone come in for a PD only, right now my response will be "that comes with the purchase of eyewear" tomorrow who knows.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    What's more, is that all this downward price pressure will be forcing optical lab work to sweatshops in Asia. You know it's going to hurt American jobs.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I work at a Walmart in New Jersey as an apprentice optician, and we get this on a weekly basis. Most of these customers are completely obnoxious about the PD measurement, as if they are entitled to it. Its almost a safe bet that if you comfortably supply them with what they want, they will be back to have you adjust the glasses they bought online. Unless you own your own business and can freely charge for the services you provide, this is a hassle for the chain store average joe. Not to disrespect the customer, but I would want nothing to do with your internet specs. As confident as one may be in their measurements, unfortunately it has no bearing on the internet store creating the glasses correctly in the first place.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The online customer, seeking at PD et al at a B&M is inherently placing themselves in the position of a middleman. Not a good place to be, IMHO.
    Im feel im under no obligation to "prove" the what i provided to an incomplete process is the cause of any perceived problems.

And you shouldn't too. But if you provide any setvices whatsoever, have a fee schedule in place..and abide by it.

B

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremie View Post
    I work at a Walmart in New Jersey as an apprentice optician, and we get this on a weekly basis. Most of these customers are completely obnoxious about the PD measurement, as if they are entitled to it. Its almost a safe bet that if you comfortably supply them with what they want, they will be back to have you adjust the glasses they bought online. Unless you own your own business and can freely charge for the services you provide, this is a hassle for the chain store average joe. Not to disrespect the customer, but I would want nothing to do with your internet specs. As confident as one may be in their measurements, unfortunately it has no bearing on the internet store creating the glasses correctly in the first place.

I also work at a Jersey walmart and my DM told us if we are not comfortable giving a PD to someone for online purchase, don't do it. She would back us. It's our license on the wall and she understood why we protect it.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper You want them back.....................

Quote Originally Posted by cwinma View Post

Have you had anyone come in for a PD only and how did you handle it ?
    You want this person to become a regular customer for a long time ? Then treat em well. We all know that he or she, right now, wants to order over the internet and you can not chnage it now.

You are a learned professional and the person does need such a person right now. You do the service asked for, and charge for it what it's worth. as Harry says..............

..........if you do not do it your competitor will......... and maybe will even advertise it and then will do 10 or 20 a day between his own regular customers.

You don't need no miracle advise from anybody, just let your logical thoughts go through your head.

You will get no help on OptiBoard...........you will only get advise which you can either follow or not.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    OK Chris, heres your logic. They are not buying from you. They are buying online. You won't lose them if you never had them. They are looking for something for nothing. They will go elsewhere for their PD if you want to charge them. They are cheeeeeep!!
    Thats why they are buying online. They are looking for the cheeeeeepest price. That includes paying for a PD. I would like to hear how many ppl have charged and if they got paid. And HOW MANY TURNED INTO REAL CUSTOMERS AFTER THRY RECIEVED THE SERVICE.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optowalt View Post
    I would like to hear how many ppl have charged and if they got paid. And HOW MANY TURNED INTO REAL CUSTOMERS AFTER THRY RECIEVED THE SERVICE.
    I sure would as well.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    But, Optowalt, but...but...but...my business experts tell me:

The internets are the wave of the future!

The customer is always right!

If you don't move forward, you're moving backwards!

I can't stick my head in the sand!

The internet is an economic revolution!

I'm a retrograde, mean-spirited, non-progressive, in a state-of-denial, socially unjust white man!

So don't give Chris no lip. If you don't do it, someone else will! Do you really, really want that? Someone else giving away free p.d.s? Don't you want to capture the free p.d. marketplace? I mean, it's a fantastic way to grow your business!

Here's how it works! When people walk off the street and ask for a p.d. so they can buy $8 glasses, you charge them $20! They're so going to thank you for your service. Don't worry, the online glasses makers have your back. I'm sure that their sites explain that p.d.s are a pretty big deal, and that most opticians will charge.

What's better, is that you might be able to steer them to YOUR $8 glasses website. (Don't have one yet?). Think of the profits if one million people bought a pair from you. With a $1 margin/job, you're a cool millionaire (gross profits, heh-heh).

What's even MORE lucrative is how you will so impress them with your p.d. stick, that they will return to your office for digital SV lenses and designer frames if their online experience is a stinker. I firmly believe that the $8 glasses crowd will be a quick and easy conversion to a pair of $400 Rx eyewear, once they see how nice you were to them! Bada-bing!

Now, what if it's your current patient that wants their p.d., not some potential new customer off the street? That's a little tricky, no? Don't worry, you can tell them that you have your own website for them to try, and for them to stay off every other online site than yours. They'll have no problem with that, because they have a really great relationship with you and your optical, and don't worry about the fact that they've chosen to shop elsewhere. That doesn't mean they're not loyal, it just...well...it's the internet! It's irresistable! Once they know you're cool enough to have a website of your own, you become irresistable in their eyes, too.

In the future, they may be shopping at your website a whole lot! Don't worry. You can always convert your optical to a p.d. measuring, try-on station that patients...I mean customers...can come to. They can have their glasses direct-shipped to your office, too, and you can adjust them. You can also be where they bring back online glasses for return service...kind of like those "I Sold it on E-Bay stores" http://877isoldit.com/ (Now...that's...progressive!)
    Last edited by drk; 03-03-2011 at 01:13 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optowalt View Post
    OK Chris, heres your logic. They are not buying from you. They are buying online. You won't lose them if you never had them. They are looking for something for nothing. They will go elsewhere for their PD if you want to charge them. They are cheeeeeep!!
    Thats why they are buying online. They are looking for the cheeeeeepest price. That includes paying for a PD. I would like to hear how many ppl have charged and if they got paid. And HOW MANY TURNED INTO REAL CUSTOMERS AFTER THRY RECIEVED THE SERVICE.
    +1

Occupation

Redhot Jumper

Quote Originally Posted by uncut View Post

+1

Uncut you are giving optowalt the big +1 because you think in Canada we can proceed that way. Then you are dead wrong, because the protection by government has stopped in BC and is winning ground in Ontario and then will soon wake up in Quebec. The most aggressive on-line optical anywhere is the one in Vancouver. Coastal lab is run by an ex Essilor manager and they have become pretty aggressive in all ways.

With US State governments going broke in the USA and Europe can you blame the individual consumer for worrying about his upcoming pension, everybody talks of getting cut, to look out for the best deals around?

Thats not only glasses..............its just about everything.

The retailer should attentively follow the happenings in the field. If all of you would have known how Essilor would develop into you you have supported them the way you did since the early 1970s ?

Maybe yes, you did with Lux they could buy the largest retail chain and you still prayed to them as the good Lord of the optical retail.

With the newest developments in the Mideast and gas prizes going up, plus major inflation in China, all the goodies are getting more expensive in the very near future.

So don't blame the 35,000,000 unemployed plus the ones on welfare, plus the ones that gave up looking for jobs, and the ones on food stamps that they wont barnstorm your B&M optical store for their much needed bargains = new glasses .

Just be prepared in case I might have had a point.

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I think I can trump all this PD nonsense. Had someone walk into the store the other day. Bought some of those Crazy Contakt lenses at a local costume store. He's never worn contact lenses before so the clerk at the store told him that we'd show him how to put them in.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by edKENdance View Post
    I think I can trump all this PD nonsense. Had someone walk into the store the other day. Bought some of those Crazy Contakt lenses at a local costume store. He's never worn contact lenses before so the clerk at the store told him that we'd show him how to put them in.
    I hope you documented everything and also submitted a hazard assessment to the national and provincial assns.

@ Chris:

I'll see your your point and raise you.... "increased regulations" in many jurisdictions in Canada. Not unlike cellphone useage while driving has become incorrect and now regulated, so shall internet purchase of eyewear. Some insurance companies are now requesting licence numbers of not only the provider of the eyewear, but the refractionist.

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by uncut View Post
    I hope you documented everything and also submitted a hazard assessment to the national and provincial assns.
    It's been passed along. All previous attempts to stop this have been futile at best.

Thread Information