Thread: I need info!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I need info!

I work with an Optometrist who will be opening a private practice soon. We currently work for a large chain. Can anyone enlighten us on any software that might help us with filing insurances such as Medicare, VSP....etc. Also, does anyone know of a good application for an appointment book? Who is a good supplier for nosepads, screws and such. And finally, are there any companies that lease frames?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Most large insurance companies have claim billing built into their websites. If you take VSP they use Eyefinity which can also be used to file claims for numerous other insurance companies. For the odd ones that still require a paper claim you can download the software program for preparing and printing a HCFA form. Just Google "printable HCFA forms". Nosepads etc. can be ordered direct through Hilco, your local lab or any number of suppliers. Appointment book apps are tied into office software and there are threads here on Optiboard that may help you decide. Leasing frames? Do you mean consignment?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by cocoisland58 View Post
    Most large insurance companies have claim billing built into their websites. If you take VSP they use Eyefinity which can also be used to file claims for numerous other insurance companies. For the odd ones that still require a paper claim you can download the software program for preparing and printing a HCFA form. Just Google "printable HCFA forms". Nosepads etc. can be ordered direct through Hilco, your local lab or any number of suppliers. Appointment book apps are tied into office software and there are threads here on Optiboard that may help you decide. Leasing frames? Do you mean consignment?
    Thank you so much for the information and yes I do mean consignment.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    If you plan on doing a lot of VSP you may want to invest in OfficeMate.
    Clinton Tower

The intellect to live free is in short supply
    ALT248=°

Bad address email on file k12311997's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Consignment frames are overpriced. Yes if you can't afford to stock all your frame boards you may consider consignment frames but be prepared to charge more or make less profit than good quality non brand frames. Altair from VSP has consignment frames. In my opinion the altair frames are 10 to 20 percent more expensive than comparable quality/ style frames from the big three and 50 percent or more than non brand frames of comparable quality/ style .

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Find yourself a good independent lab and work with the rep to get started. You'll be amazed and pleased with the information you'll get.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Regarding your billing, there are a few different ways to do it. It just really depends on what is going to fit best with how you want the office run. I HIGHLY recommend using a clearinghouse and billing out just the vision care plans (ie davis, eyemed, vsp, etc) on their individual websites. Most practice management systems have a built in appointment sch, and again it depends on which way you want to go. For a web based practice management system I think Revolution EHR is wonderful. Officemate is also a very popular system, I've used it since it was DOS (yikes) so I'm pretty comfortable with it. Get them to give you a working demo so you can try them on and see what you like best.
    Good luck to you at this exciting time!

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Officemate is the most used optometry office management/EMR system, so you should consider it. Officemate has a scheduling module. The electronic billing through officemate has to go through vision web, eyefinity, or Gateway (clearinghouses).

VSP has their altair line which can be on consignment.

My biggest recommendation for a new office is to go with Electronic Medical Records upon opening.

Harry

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by harry888 View Post
    Officemate is the most used optometry office management/EMR system, so you should consider it. Officemate has a scheduling module. The electronic billing through officemate has to go through vision web, eyefinity, or Gateway (clearinghouses).

VSP has their altair line which can be on consignment.

My biggest recommendation for a new office is to go with Electronic Medical Records upon opening.

Harry
    Love the way Officemate and Gateway work together, has always been a smooth process thankfully.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by bwoz View Post
    Love the way Officemate and Gateway work together, has always been a smooth process thankfully.
    I love nothing about OfficeMate. I recommend looking at other options very closely.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    I love nothing about OfficeMate. I recommend looking at other options very closely.
    I didn't say I nec loved OfficeMate alone LOL. Thankfully we've been able to work thru any quirks, but I just like that they integrate pretty well with Gateway EDI. I agree, everyone should look at all the other options out there to see what works best for them. There are alot of choices thankfully.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

My Vision Express software

May I suggest My Vision Express. It's an excellent Practice Management system for eye care practices, and also has an optional, fully-integrated EMR.

My Vision Express has all the features you're looking for: electronic insurance billing, GatewayEDI integration, VSP interface, and built-in scheduler. It's available in server and web-hosted versions.

My Vision Express is also ONC-ATCB certified as a "Complete EHR" and meets all the government requirements for the EHR Incentive Program.

At our website, linked below, you can get a free 30-day trial so you can try the software for yourself. Or call us for a no-obligation guided tour.

Jorge Torres
    Sales Manager
    Insight Software, LLC
    http://myvisionexpress.com - Accelerate your practice!
    877-882-7456 Ext. 721
    Last edited by myvisionexpress; 01-20-2011 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Added certification info

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You might also look into Compulink (EXPENSIVE). To my knowledge, it is the only software that meets the requirements of the new health laws. You will also want to find someone who really knows what they are doing to configure your hardware and software to meet your specific needs with Compulink, as it can be overwhelming if you aren't a computer nerd. Compulink does everything office mate does, plus more, and does it all better. Again, though, it is expensive. Very expensive. However, if you are going EHR, go balls to the walls and jump all the way in and you'll be glad you did. Really think through the expenses though. Remember, every few years you'll be upgrading your hardware, and mandatory software updates can be jarring when making a big version shift.

As for frames, the people who think Altair is expensive haven't looked at Altair in a while. Altair offers quality frames at very reasonable prices. You can charge more and pay less, all on consignment (except sun). They also help manage your inventory very well, but just realize if you are going to use them for your entire frame boards, they will start recalling frames that don't sell, so you could face some pretty big gaping holes in a year or so. I understand that Marchon also offers consignment, but I don't know that 100% for certain. I've also heard mixed results about the Jai Kudo line that is also available on consignment.

Feel free to PM if you want more details.

Thread Information