Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Even scarier events in Tuscon

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Even scarier events in Tuscon

Shows what can happen when someone with no self control and a gun can do when they buy totally into the Tea Party poison.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My guess is that he is a little bit crazier than the tea party people.Not much, but a little. I wonder how Sarah Palin feels now, about putting a target on congressional districts shortly before the election. This should finish THAT political career....but maybe not.
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter varmint's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This isn't really politics, this is just a deranged individual..

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    With all due respect, a tea party publication on Sarah Palin's website with target's on congressional districts, is really politics. I agree this is a deranged person, who took advantage of the lax gun control measures in this country and did his thing.This individual did not get deranged yesterday morning, he's been deranged for a long time, as evidenced by what little (at this point) that we know about him. These people used to be institutionalized.......but that was inhumane....and expensive! Now they're on the streets with access to all manner of weaponry. What's wrong with this picture??
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter varmint's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Here's a quote from Howard Kurtz that sums it up best,

"This isn't about a nearly year-old Sarah Palin map; it's about a lone nutjob who doesn't value human life. It would be nice if we briefly put aside partisan differences and came together with sympathy and support for Gabby Giffords and the other victims, rather than opening rhetorical fire ourselves."

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Don't retreat, reload.

The Arizona Daily Star reports:
    "Yelling and screaming is counterproductive," she told the Sierra Vista Herald at a Congress on Your Corner event last week. There, one visitor dropped a gun at the meet n' greet held in a Douglas Safeway, her staff says.

That has aides, who called police to the event, concerned for her safety.

"We have never felt the need before to notify law enforcement when we hold these events," said spokesman C.J. Karamargin.
    “I hope that’s not where we’re going, but you know if this Congress keeps going the way it is, people are really looking toward those Second Amendment remedies and saying my goodness what can we do to turn this country around? I’ll tell you the first thing we need to do is take Harry Reid out.” —Nevada GOP Senate candidate Sharron Angle, floating the possibility of armed insurrection by conservatives, interview with right-wing radio host Lars Larson, Jan. 14, 2010.
    Cowards.

She continued the meet n' greet events without secret service protection.

Here's another hero.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articl...-shooting.html
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Really?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Martellaro View Post

Don't retreat, reload.

Cowards.

She continued the meet n' greet events without secret service protection.

Here's another hero.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articl...-shooting.html
    Not to mention Palin exhorting her cabal to "reload".

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by varmint View Post
    Here's a quote from Howard Kurtz that sums it up best,

"This isn't about a nearly year-old Sarah Palin map; it's about a lone nutjob who doesn't value human life. It would be nice if we briefly put aside partisan differences and came together with sympathy and support for Gabby Giffords and the other victims, rather than opening rhetorical fire ourselves."
    You are right. The rest of you who are trying to politicize this are messed up. The man would have gotten a gun one way or the other. You gun control freaks need to wake up. Look at Canada and Great Britain. It's a fact that once they passed "gun control" the crime rate in these countries sky rocketed.
    The guy who did this despicable thing was crazy and should have been in an insane asylum.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Remember you own all your freedoms (at least those you have left) to a man with a gun. The American revolution was fought mostly with personal guns, there wasn't any government on our side yet.
    Should there ever need to be another, it will be fought with personal guns.
    I leave you with a quote from Carl Sandburg: "Eight million guns has the Czar, nothing can hurt the Czar."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by LensGrinder76 View Post
    You are right. The rest of you who are trying to politicize this are messed up. The man would have gotten a gun one way or the other. You gun control freaks need to wake up. Look at Canada and Great Britain. It's a fact that once they passed "gun control" the crime rate in these countries sky rocketed.
    The guy who did this despicable thing was crazy and should have been in an insane asylum.
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Remember you own all your freedoms (at least those you have left) to a man with a gun. The American revolution was fought mostly with personal guns, there wasn't any government on our side yet.
    Should there ever need to be another, it will be fought with personal guns.
    I leave you with a quote from Carl Sandburg: "Eight million guns has the Czar, nothing can hurt the Czar."
    This has nothing to do with guns. You've missed the point entirely. If your argument was a gun, then you didn't even hit the broad side of the barn. Thanks for playing.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Yeah, I'm an ol' WV boy - I grew up shooting.There's enough gun control as there is, just too many a-holes with guns that don't have the temperament to be trusted with 'em.
    Point is that the Tea Party has gone too far with their "Take 'em out!" rhetoric and suggestions of armed action that poisoned this deranged individual's mind. The biggest problem is that it has inflamed more people and there probably will be more incidents of this nature.
    It's really indefensible.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Optical Retail

Is this what you mean by skyrocketing? Look at these gun crime statistics for England/Wales.
    Homicide
    All
    Shotgun
    Handgun
    Other weapon
    Airgun 1999/00 62
    0 2000/01 73
    2001/02 97
    2002/03 81 14 40 26 1 2003/04 68 11 35 22 0 2004/05 78 23 37 17 1 2005/06 50 11 22 16 1 2006/07 59 9 27 20 3 2007/08 53 3 39 11 0 2008/09 39 7 28 4 0Wish we had that sort of skyrocket.

Well, that list didn't display correctly, but look at the numbers - one decade of theirs is close to one month of ours.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    This will probably become a rallying cry for the anti-gun factions and it shouldn't be. It should be a wake-up call for more mental health services and even more hospitalizations. This is not about gun control it's about a psychotic getting a gun just to harm someone.

I too was raised with firearms. I grew up in Northern Canada where if we didn't hunt we wouldn't eat. I raised my children to shoot and hunt and now they are teaching their children the same.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
    This will probably become a rallying cry for the anti-gun factions and it shouldn't be. It should be a wake-up call for more mental health services and even more hospitalizations. This is not about gun control it's about a psychotic getting a gun just to harm someone.

I too was raised with firearms. I grew up in Northern Canada where if we didn't hunt we wouldn't eat. I raised my children to shoot and hunt and now they are teaching their children the same.
    And you fed your family with Glocks? AK's? Need a 30-round magazine for those deer?
    You want to hunt and eat your game? Fine. Just tell me why we need pistols and military weapons for that.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would almost laugh at these posts if it wasn't such a sad event. Some whack job shoots a politician and kills 6 or 7 others, and it's wacko Palins fault? Please come back to reality people. This guy was crazy, pure and simple, and no one "made" him do it, he clearly made the choice. Politics sure does bring on a strange group, that is why we have presidents and politicians assassinated, and will continue to in the future, as some carry their passion to the extreme.

If he did in fact drink the "cool aid" of the tea party, so what? They didn't make him do this, period, we all have choices, and he made his. Please don't attempt to group all people that don't think in the liberal way as "poisened". Many of us are not loons, on both sides.

To those that make this a gun thing, get real. The bad guys have all the guns they need, and no law or regulations are going to stop that, just look at drugs for the evidence. You want to take mine, which the last I checked, the constitution says I can have, please feel free to come and try, I look forward to the event.

Now back to the Harry and Nancy hour, because we know what's "best" for you.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    For Fine Focus: When needed the police are too far away to do anything but fill out the forms and clean up the mess. A loaded gun is right there and can keep you alive. And yes, it is better to be a live suspect than a dead victum. And in some places, like New Orleans after Katrina, the police are just as likely to be the criminals.
    Being in Oakland surely you are aware that the Police are afraid of the Hell's Angels, just as here in some neighborhoods the police fear to tread.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Martellaro View Post
    This has nothing to do with guns. You've missed the point entirely. If your argument was a gun, then you didn't even hit the broad side of the barn. Thanks for playing.
    Actually it has alot to do with it. Give it a few hours and the anti gun people will start their pathetic attempts to have the government take more control of MY freedoms that men and women have died for. Your fellow optiboarders have posted articles about Sarah Palin, who is pro gun, so they have started the argument. So THANK YOU for playing. Better luck next round.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I do not believe we should be blaming Palin for this or bringing politics into this. But you better check your stats. Britain and Canada have much lower crime rates than the US.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post

You are correct. I live in Northwestern Ontario. Almost everyone has a gun. But it is for hunting. They are not set up in the house to "protect" the house. They are meant for going into the bush in October and shooting moose. Different mindsets from a handgun.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    For Fine Focus: When needed the police are too far away to do anything but fill out the forms and clean up the mess. A loaded gun is right there and can keep you alive. And yes, it is better to be a live suspect than a dead victum. And in some places, like New Orleans after Katrina, the police are just as likely to be the criminals.
    Being in Oakland surely you are aware that the Police are afraid of the Hell's Angels, just as here in some neighborhoods the police fear to tread.
    I'll bet the Congresswoman had armed security officers about, surely there were police in attendence. She might have had a piece in her waistband, for all I know. Didn't help much, did it.
    Many here have made the point that the shooter is less than sane. Sure, we all agree. What does that change? There are lots of loony folks out there. It is a mistake to trigger them and to arm them.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    I do not believe we should be blaming Palin for this or bringing politics into this. But you better check your stats. Britain and Canada have much lower crime rates than the US.
    Since you don't believe me, then Google it. There are hundreds upon hundreds of articles to support me. More than I can post here. I know you probably will not agree since you live in Canada. I will agree with you that people here should not blame Palin. But I digress. I'm not going to talk politics on a optical site.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't care for Palin, but for all you that wish to blame her for this, let me quote a classmate of the shooter:

"As I knew him he was left wing, quite liberal and oddly obsessed with the 2012 prophecy."

see here:
    http://kmox.cbslocal.com/2011/01/08/...-lee-loughner/

As for gun control freaks, How would you like to loose your privilage to drive a car because some nut job plows his into a crowd? Also note how crime goes down when a state passes CC laws. The bad guys will have them regardless if they are illegal or not.

If I were a criminal, I'd love to practice my craft where I knew the home owner couldn't have a gun.

Occupation
    Since you don't believe me, then Google it. There are hundreds upon hundreds of articles to support me. More than I can post here. I know you probably will not agree since you live in Canada. I will agree with you that people here should not blame Palin. But I digress. I'm not going to talk politics on a optical site.
    I have researched this issue quite a bit.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Actually it has alot to do with it. Give it a few hours and the anti gun people will start their pathetic attempts to have the government take more control of MY freedoms that men and women have died for. Your fellow optiboarders have posted articles about Sarah Palin, who is pro gun, so they have started the argument. So THANK YOU for playing. Better luck next round.
    Another throws a handful of darts hoping that one will stick, but none do. At least Palin removed her 'take back the 20' from her web site Saturday. Or maybe it was scheduled to come down that day anyways. There may or may not be legal consequences here, but there are moral consequences.

This target wasn't random, it was a premeditated assassination attempt on one of our country's congresswoman, not the community college that threw him out, or any of the other perceived enemies that crazy people see when they wake up in the morning.

I believe that violent/sensational political rhetoric can lead to violent action. I don't know how much of this rhetoric drove this nut into action, but there's plenty more nuts in the cue, some are smart, and some have access to chem labs.

Thread Information