Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Well, here's a new one....

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Well, here's a new one....

I just had a patient who insists he has eyeglass coverage, and that they cover 80% of glasses. Of course this sounded like Medicare for after cataracts, but what do I know, he is clearly the smartest person ever (and a retired cop. OOOOh I'm scared). So, he then tells me, that his insurance company gave him an amex that he would use to pay for the non covered 20%.

I tell him that we don't take American Express.

He then proceeds to tell me that he will make me take it because it's not his fault that we don't take it and that's what he'll need to use.

Commence the eye rolling

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Make you?

What is he going to do? Put you in a headlock and make you say uncle? Wierd. I had a guy who told me that he was always given a 20% discount AFTER his previous optician applied his VSP benefits. I straight out told him, "Not going to do it and I have a hard time believing you." He was miffed at first but bought glasses from me anyway and I never heard a peep from him about the price or anything else. Seriously! Do you think that because I'm under 30 and a woman that I am going to dither around like trapped mouse when you start being a blowhard? Try harder buddy! *rolls eyes*
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    "Go ahead. Make my day."

B

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by NCspecs View Post
    Make you?

What is he going to do? Put you in a headlock and make you say uncle? Wierd. I had a guy who told me that he was always given a 20% discount AFTER his previous optician applied his VSP benefits. I straight out told him, "Not going to do it and I have a hard time believing you." He was miffed at first but bought glasses from me anyway and I never heard a peep from him about the price or anything else. Seriously! Do you think that because I'm under 30 and a woman that I am going to dither around like trapped mouse when you start being a blowhard? Try harder buddy! *rolls eyes*
    Funny you should say that. I had a patient today tell me that one of our ODs gives her an additional friends and family discount off of her order. I looked back previous and naturally...we didn't. I told her, "I apologize but that's double dipping with insurance and I cannot do that." She was actually pretty nice about it and said "Ok, I understand.." I was very surprised..I was waiting for a fight lol

P.S. I worked at an office that did not take Amex. The terminal will not even let you run it through so he can't MAKE you run anything through. Guess he should find a place that accepts it!

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Make you?

Hilarious!!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Keri_Leigh27 View Post
    Funny you should say that. I had a patient today tell me that one of our ODs gives her an additional friends and family discount off of her order. I looked back previous and naturally...we didn't. I told her, "I apologize but that's double dipping with insurance and I cannot do that." She was actually pretty nice about it and said "Ok, I understand.." I was very surprised..I was waiting for a fight lol

P.S. I worked at an office that did not take Amex. The terminal will not even let you run it through so he can't MAKE you run anything through. Guess he should find a place that accepts it!
    I think some people are compelled to to see what they can get away with. We have a family that say they are close friends of the Dr. and they always ask if the price is the "best we can do". He thinks they are moochers through and through.

We don't take AMEX either. The fees are too high from what I hear.
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We all laughed at him as he left. He moaned and groaned, told me that he couldn't believe that glasses cost as much at a car, walked out to his 2011 cadilac escalade. See ya!!!!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optilady1 View Post
    We all laughed at him as he left. He moaned and groaned, told me that he couldn't believe that glasses cost as much at a car, walked out to his 2011 cadilac escalade. See ya!!!!!
    I love when certain people come in and say "Where your Gucci at?" and then ***** about the cost of lenses. Nice set of priorities you've got there cowboy. I also once had a girl argue with me that her coach purse was a smarter purchasing decision than buying a pair of eyeglasses to relieve her eyes of her overextended contacts because "they got a life-time warranty". Sigh.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's funny we are talking about people like this. I sold a $585 Ete and a $675 Flair drill mount today and those people didn't bat an eye. The lady who purchased the drill mount also spent $600 on her 16 year old daughters Silhouettes today too.

Some people have no concept of money. They want the best of everything but complain at the price..hello? Do you think I'm going to give you a $1000 pair of glasses for $2.50? Get real!! I understand $1000 is a lot on a pair of glasses but if you KNOW they are going to be that much (IE: Asking for a Gucci frame)..why complain about the price? That's like me walking into a Lexus car dealership and saying "These brand new Lexus's are $35,000??"

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think some people are compelled to to see what they can get away with. We have a family that say they are close friends of the Dr. and they always ask if the price is the "best we can do". He thinks they are moochers through and through.

We don't take AMEX either. The fees are too high from what I hear.

I usually get that type of patient in right after the first of the year and tell me they forgot there flex benefit and they want to buy glasses but they want me to back date at which point I inform them it's illegal and I could lose my license. They respond by saying my last optician did it for me, I said go back to him, he says he's not in business anymore. He then says it not any concern of his if I loose my license where by I literally threw him out of my office. I'm not doing business with clowns. :finger:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My husband is one of those people who try to work over sales people. I hate it!!! He's not mean or rude, but he's very aggressive. I hate when pt's come in claiming all these wild imaginatory things. I want to say ,"Really? I want to go to the place that let's you use last year's insurance, give's you an extra 50 % discount, give's out Pd's, honor's 3 year old scratch warrenties, and fills ten year old contact len rx's. Maybe they can use their magic wand and make 30 pounds disappear from my butt."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We had the same kind of entitled morons here. They came up with their insurance information 3 weeks after the visit. Our waiting room has several signs that say,"please present insurance cards at the time of your appt". We also ask every patient if they have vision insurance. Besides that, when you get the bill, it should jog your memory concerning the insurance benefits. We also refused to falsify the date on the authorization/claim. We delivered the bad news, but the patient persisted. We told them that our business together was over. They said it would be over when they got their money back. Trust me, this discussion is over! It's not my fault people are too stupid to present their info at the proper time(despite being prompted by several signs, and my own questioning.)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Are you guys sitting outside of my office today? Good lord!

I had a patient ask me to do the exact same thing today. "Well, I forgot to use my flexible spending money and I have $1000 left so can you just back date it?" I said "Unfortunately, I cannot back date an insurance claim because that's illegal and I can lose my job and if we were to ever be audited..the DR would lose her license" Her response, "So I don't understand why you can't do this for me" I looked at her and said that I like my job and I don't want to get fired. Of course she got upset and huffy at me. Again, some people have 0 concept of life..period. Certainly, I'll risk getting fired because YOU forgot you have ONE THOUSAND dollars in your flex account! *rolls eyes* :hammer:

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by KStraker View Post
    We had the same kind of entitled morons here. They came up with their insurance information 3 weeks after the visit. Our waiting room has several signs that say,"please present insurance cards at the time of your appt". We also ask every patient if they have vision insurance. Besides that, when you get the bill, it should jog your memory concerning the insurance benefits. We also refused to falsify the date on the authorization/claim. We delivered the bad news, but the patient persisted. We told them that our business together was over. They said it would be over when they got their money back. Trust me, this discussion is over! It's not my fault people are too stupid to present their info at the proper time(despite being prompted by several signs, and my own questioning.)

Wow I thought I had all the morons! :bbg:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by KStraker View Post
    Just wait until they go to the police, "The doctor won't commit fraud for me!" "Police police! A burgular stole my pot!"

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Blue Jumper Easy solution to problem..........................

Easy solution to problem.................tell customer he can get the cash out of the closet ATM machine with the Amex card and then hand it over to you. Case closed.

Occupation

I had a patient ask me to do the exact same thing today. "Well, I forgot to use my flexible spending money and I have $1000 left so can you just back date it?" I said "Unfortunately, I cannot back date an insurance claim because that's illegal and I can lose my job and if we were to ever be audited..the DR would lose her license" Her response, "So I don't understand why you can't do this for me" I looked at her and said that I like my job and I don't want to get fired. Of course she got upset and huffy at me. Again, some people have 0 concept of life..period. Certainly, I'll risk getting fired because YOU forgot you have ONE THOUSAND dollars in your flex account! *rolls eyes* :hammer:
    Here's the root cause of idiocy caused by 4 simple genes:

1. The 'Dumb' gene:
    The general population although very thrifty are also extremely dumb. If common sense doesn't exist within this group, guaranteed they will certainly also lack business sense and will stare at you like deer in the headlights when you try to explain you why can't accommodate their absurd request.

2. The 'Bad Attitude' gene:
    Goes hand in hand in with the "I don't give a crap what you tell me" gene.

3. The 'Arrogance' gene:
    Begins at infancy, people don't like to be told the word 'NO'.

4. The 'Persistence' gene:
    Go back to #1 and start over. Is usually coupled with extreme annoyance and the sudden urge for an alcoholic beverage.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I had a patient ask me to do the exact same thing today. "Well, I forgot to use my flexible spending money and I have $1000 left so can you just back date it?" I said "Unfortunately, I cannot back date an insurance claim because that's illegal and I can lose my job and if we were to ever be audited..the DR would lose her license" Her response, "So I don't understand why you can't do this for me" I looked at her and said that I like my job and I don't want to get fired. Of course she got upset and huffy at me. Again, some people have 0 concept of life..period. Certainly, I'll risk getting fired because YOU forgot you have ONE THOUSAND dollars in your flex
    account! *rolls eyes* :hammer:

Ya they forgot because like most companies they probable had the last two weeks off and went from party to party to party and needed the new years week end to sober up. When they did, they realized they HAD A THOUSAND DOLLARS in flex account. How do you forget that? Oh ya, they will probable find someone who will backdate and not think a thing about it except the thousand bucks they just got. There are always some people out there who will accommodate them. :hammer:

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    % discount, give's out pd's, honor's 3 year old scratch warrenties, and fills ten year old contact len rx's. Maybe they can use their magic wand and make 30 pounds disappear from my butt."
    ha!
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Easy solution to problem.................tell customer he can get the cash out of the closet ATM machine with the Amex card and then hand it over to you. Case closed.
    Bam !! Case closed, hell yes. People NEVER surprise me with their "silly" requests. Can you risk your entire practice in order to get me an extra $10 by committing fraud?? Hmmm....? Why of course Sir/Mam, why do you even have to ask?? Can you imagine what it must be like to sell those people a pair of shoes?
    Chris Beard
    The State of Jefferson !

I'm a Medford man – Medford, Oregon. Up in Medford, we take our time making up our minds."

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I once had a couple come in extremely well dressed and manicured and asked if I took medicaid, at which point he pulled out his card and showed me. I said I m sorry we don't take that. He said thank you and walked out. Well being a curious guy I watched through the window as he and his wife get into there brand new Volo and drive away. Talk about bilking the system. If I had enough brains I would have wrote down his license and reported him. :hammer:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I just had a patient who insists he has eyeglass coverage, and that they cover 80% of glasses. Of course this sounded like Medicare for after cataracts, but what do I know, he is clearly the smartest person ever (and a retired cop. OOOOh I'm scared). So, he then tells me, that his insurance company gave him an amex that he would use to pay for the non covered 20%.

I tell him that we don't take American Express.

He then proceeds to tell me that he will make me take it because it's not his fault that we don't take it and that's what he'll need to use.

Commence the eye rolling

We had a guy come in with his insurance and after the insurance I give him the price ( which was about 60% off normal retail ) and he asked you can do better than that. I said the insurance tells what to charge and the balance is owed by you. Again he says you can do better than that, at which point I tell him I will void out sale and he is free to try else ware, at which point he says no, no I will pay. Unbelievable there already getting a discount plus there insurance and he has the gall to ask if we can go lower. Ya my kids won't eat but I will give it to you for a lower price. WOW

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think that patients have in mind that we are retail and it's a game to them. My husband lives for the kill of buying a new car.

We ain't retail folks.

If they want me to treat them that way, I politely tell them to shop around and head towards the place that wants to be the Nordstrom of optical.

I sell medical aids. Yes, some are wrapped in sparkly frames, but when you come to me, the only goal is to get you a quality, safe, accurate pair of eyewear so you can -gasp- see! I'm not trying to swindle you. I'm trying to help you. I get that there is no way for them to just 'know' that I'm not a wheeler and dealer. But this isn't an open air market where I'm going to barder with you. And staring at me like you are still a detective on 'law and order'. You ain't gonna break me!!!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The way that I see it...

I don't go into a shoe store and say, "This is the best deal you can give me?"
    I don't go into an oil change place and say, "Well the place around the corner gave it to me for free!"
    I don't walk into a restaurant and say, "I'm friends twice removed of the owner and I should get a discount."

And also the last time I checked (looks around again) we aren't Wal-Mart and we do not PRICE MATCH glasses!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You know the problem with doing business with any place that would be unethical to benefit you means you cannot do any other business with them. For example if I get my car inspected and they pass it and I know that it should take more then 5 minutes and my car should not have passed any way. That means I can never bring my car back there for a repair. The mechanic has proven that he is willing and able to lie and forge. If an optician is willing to forge insurance documents and flex accounts what else would they be willing to do to make money? Telling you things are not covered under warranty? Charging you to release your RX? You cannot have it both ways. A person willing to lie and cheat your insurance company would be willing to cheat you too. Scratch a liar and find a thief as the old saying goes.

Thread Information