Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Describe your "dispense" presentation.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Describe your "dispense" presentation.

I would like to hear your description of your "presentation" of a patient's frames on dispense.

Do you schedule your patients? Are the glasses "waiting" for your patients?

I'll describe where I work after a few posts...it seems rather poor to me...

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Dr, I've dispensed for many, many years. I have never worked at a place that scheduled appointments to have glasses dispensed. After checking in the glasses, we call the patient to inform him/her that they can be picked up anytime and give our optical hours. We have a sign in sheet so we know who is next. If a patient asks our least busy times, we are happy to inform them that mornings, early afternoons and Saturday mornings are the least busy. On dispense, I ask shall we try these on and first check the proper temple pressure, adjust the nosepads, adjust panto and alignment and last adjust the temple tips.When satisfied that the alignment and seg height is accurate, I hand the patient a reading card to check the response. Last, I hand each patient a case, cleaner and cloth with instructions that the BEST way to clean a lens is to rinse it off first, the same as washing a car.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rdcoach5 View Post
    Dr, I've dispensed for many, many years. I have never worked at a place that scheduled appointments to have glasses dispensed. After checking in the glasses, we call the patient to inform him/her that they can be picked up anytime and give our optical hours. We have a sign in sheet so we know who is next. If a patient asks our least busy times, we are happy to inform them that mornings, early afternoons and Saturday mornings are the least busy. On dispense, I ask shall we try these on and first check the proper temple pressure, adjust the nosepads, adjust panto and alignment and last adjust the temple tips.When satisfied that the alignment and seg height is accurate, I hand the patient a reading card to check the response. Last, I hand each patient a case, cleaner and cloth with instructions that the BEST way to clean a lens is to rinse it off first, the same as washing a car.
    ditto on the call pt's when ready, and have them pick up at their convienence. I have worked at a practice that the optician I replaced made people make appointments, but I'm not keen on that myself. +100000 for telling people (mostly men) that you wash glasses the same way you do a car-rinse first. They seem to get it when I describe it to them like that.

I'm not much for fanfare. I've worked for some places where you were secret shopped on dispense, and there was the most rediculous list of things to say, what not to say, make the patient SHOW you how to clean the glasses, blah blah blah. Where I am now, I typically present them in a case, have them put them on, see where the markings are, check the fit, adjust, and them have the check the vision. A lot of times I'll be a little silly and say 'tah dah!', which seems to engage those who act mute.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Here are some of the problems where I work...and why I am seeking suggestions...

Right now we have convenience dispenses...the problem is everyone shows up at the same time...the optician(s) get in a frenzy...and they rush to take care of everyone...including VIP patients. My thought is schedule patients so ample amount of time can be spent with each patient.

Now think back to your first pair of glasses...the anticipation, nervousness, etc...arriving to pick up your glasses. Now imagine sitting down at a dispense table, and they are wrapped with copies of the chart and insurance papers (dont ask...not my practice) and wrapped with a rubber band. The optician unwraps the paper mess, and digs out the glasses...seems rather blahhh...especially if you are spending hundreds and hundreds of $$$....

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by OHPNTZ View Post
    Here are some of the problems where I work...and why I am seeking suggestions...

Right now we have convenience dispenses...the problem is everyone shows up at the same time...the optician(s) get in a frenzy...and they rush to take care of everyone...including VIP patients. My thought is schedule patients so ample amount of time can be spent with each patient.

Now think back to your first pair of glasses...the anticipation, nervousness, etc...arriving to pick up your glasses. Now imagine sitting down at a dispense table, and they are wrapped with copies of the chart and insurance papers (dont ask...not my practice) and wrapped with a rubber band. The optician unwraps the paper mess, and digs out the glasses...seems rather blahhh...especially if you are spending hundreds and hundreds of $$$....
    Dr, I guarantee you that , if you schedule times for dispense, everyone is going to want around the same time and there will be no way to accomodate that. Plus , what do you do when your other optician is mired down with the pt from hell, you have a scheduled dispense but you have just started a contact lens teach on a 10 year old boy who can't touch his eyes? Then you are going to run way behind and tick off the pt's scheduled for a dispense. I agree that it looks nice to present the glasses in a case and we do often because most frames come with their own case now. Of course, I'm in a very busy office.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by rdcoach5 View Post
    Dr, I guarantee you that , if you schedule times for dispense, everyone is going to want around the same time and there will be no way to accomodate that. Plus , what do you do when your other optician is mired down with the pt from hell, you have a scheduled dispense but you have just started a contact lens teach on a 10 year old boy who can't touch his eyes? Then you are going to run way behind and tick off the pt's scheduled for a dispense. I agree that it looks nice to present the glasses in a case and we do often because most frames come with their own case now. Of course, I'm in a very busy office.

Here's the current problem...everyone is coming in the afternoon...this includes medical assistance patients and VIPs. Our afternoon exams are mainly reserved for VIP type patients. After the exam, the patients have to wait a long time to have assistance with choosing frames/lenses. Sometimes the reception area is standing room only..

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Then you need to revamp your patient flow, something is very wrong. Changing the way you dispense glasses won't help the problem, only hide it for a short time.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In our office we don't bring the paperwork out for the dispense. We bring the full pair out with the case, the little sample bottle of spray cleaner, and a cleaning cloth. We don't like to have the paperwork out in front of the pt for them to rifle through it and nose around in the invoices. I always check measurements, feel for the fit, talk about care and cleaning, bag up all of the accoutrement for the pt, and most importantly SHAKE THEIR HAND AND THANK THEM FOR THEIR BUSINESS. IT's the most professional way to approach the fit and dispense from my perspective.
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ditto the dispense problem. Very occasionally when I'm slammed, a client might vocalize that they're gettin the "short-shrift", so I apologize and say that I'll do the best I can under today's circumstances, and invite them back at a pre-arranged time, convenient for them, that I feel I can reasonably comply with.

Then I give them a desk-size (8oz) bottle of lens cleaner, and ask them to try to understand that these situations are often outside of my total control.

FWIW

Barry

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You know, I *don't* check measurements at delivery. I *will* if there is a reason prompting me to, or they return with a complaint. There are SO many variables with eyewear that I don't think hanging one's hat on *your* measurements alone ensures a greater degree of satisfaction.

Wear it, and let's see where it goes. Years ago, I vetted all my measurements at delivery. I'm resonably confident that I take reasonably good measurements...most of the time.

Somedays however, I just don't have my fastball.

B

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We tend to fit them when we order them, tends to be less work on handover. We also present them a carry bag which has their glasses (in case), cloth, cleaner and warantee info. Looks clean and that little bit faster.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I check the rx, seg, frame color, etc on delivery to our office. Then after they're checked we call the patients and let them know our business hours and that they can come in at their convenience. I also remove all progressive markings etc at checkin - why make the patient wait at dispense for me to break out the cleaner and remove the markings?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    As a one man shop I can understand your delema. That being said, I have found most people to be understanding if I am busy when they come in. On occasion they have stated they would come back at a different time, typicaly in an hour or so. Making appointments at delivery won't change the concern your having. What will help is stream lining your process. Get rid of the mass of paper, the chart, etc. If needed pre-adjust the frames, then have the optician inform the patient that your office can get busy. That you welcome them to come in at their convenience for the dispense and ask that they be patient if your with another person. Telling the patient what to expect before they get there will do wonders for your patient satisfaction and your opticians attitude.
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer
    • Teacher of the art of crafting handmade eyewear.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    We schedule for everything. Our office is 100% by appointment. It works for us.
    After frame select and lens design, we collect payment and schedule their pickup.

The advantage is the ability to control your schedule. Patients never call asking "are they in, yet?". Patients seem to understand.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Maybe your office is understaffed as mine is and can get backed up during the afternoon when everyone seems to converge on us at the same time. I too have found that people seem to be understanding when asked to have a seat and we will be with them shortly. They know that when it is their turn we will spend the time to properly adjust and dispense their glasses. Our office is a paper wrapping office as well which I do not like so I unwrap them behind the counter, do a quick bench align, grab a case and a cloth and then proceed to the patient. If your office is disfunctional and you have no way to change the bulk of the disfunction then you just do what you can on your own to make it better.

Bad address email on file fvc2020's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We final inspect our jobs and call patients when glasses come in. We too are a very busy office, but our patients know and understand this. At pick up we have a bronzed tray that we present the eyewear with proper case, cleaner, cloth, a upscale piece of candy(usually chocolate) and the glasses on a nose type holder as to present. We take time with each patient. Busy or not. We do leave progressive stickers are and explained to patients why and we don't have a problem with it. After check final adjustment we take them in the back for a final cleaning and dot removal, grab a pre made bag with filler paper(that you use for presents) wrap up the glasses, offer a comment card, said thank you for their visit, and welcome them back any time...for some that might seem like alot, but people appreciate it, when they have spent alot of money or haven't and they have been made to feel special and cared for.....

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Dr, another thought for the busy times. We have a fairly large staff and are fortunate to have 3 techs that are also either licensed or experienced as opticians. When we are slammed, often we can double the amount of opticians who are working. This helps a lot ! Food for thought on future hires.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Now I See's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi guys and gals! :)

Like many others, I'm a "one-man" show, so I try not to spend all my time at dispense. I do my best to pre-adjust the frames during their first visit. I take off all the labs PAL markings and replace them with "dots" only (thanks to a tip from another thread on O'Board ;)) After final inspection, I call the pt, put the glasses in a case and keep them in their job tray till dispensing, when the pt comes in, I take the glasses out to the pt (I leave the extra paper "mumbo-jumbo" in the tray in the lab...sort it later) I check the "dots," offer the pt a reading card, answer their questions, check the fit, adjust a little if needed and give them a basket full of cleaners and cloths so they can pick their own color while I'm cleaning the "dots" off the lenses. :) Then put all their "goodies" in a bag and send them on their way with a big thanks and reminder that they can stop by anytime for cleanings or adjustments or just to chat.

I like the comment card idea, fvc2020...I don't want to hi-jack the thread, so a pm on its way!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by NCspecs View Post
    In our office we don't bring the paperwork out for the dispense. We bring the full pair out with the case, the little sample bottle of spray cleaner, and a cleaning cloth. We don't like to have the paperwork out in front of the pt for them to rifle through it and nose around in the invoices. I always check measurements, feel for the fit, talk about care and cleaning, bag up all of the accoutrement for the pt, and most importantly SHAKE THEIR HAND AND THANK THEM FOR THEIR BUSINESS. IT's the most professional way to approach the fit and dispense from my perspective.
    You and I are way too much alike :bbg:

I, too, am the only Optician in a 2 OD practice so I know how hectic it can be. So here it goes..I never, EVER bring out the tray/paperwork because guess what happens when you get up to adjust their glasses? They are very nosy and start looking through it. I bring out the glasses in the case, do what I need to do, put a cleaning cloth, spray and this year I put in little candy cane in a bag.

Also, ALWAYS explain how to clean their glasses..even if they've had them for years. Explain how to use the microfiber cloth and spray properly because that saves you headaches in the long run (sometimes) of them coming in complaining they are scratched. I really enjoy the piece of candy idea. We started doing that at the office I was at previously and people really liked it. Even if they were diabetic, we would get them a piece of sugar free candy and it would knock their socks off!

Lastly, one of my pet peeves is when an optician puts the glasses on the patient and says, "How do they feel?" Patient says, "Great"...then leaves. What is the likely hood that they're going to return because they were never adjusted? Usually pretty high. So again, to save yourself extra time..properly have them adjust them the FIRST time. I understand we are all busy but spend the extra few minutes or seconds doing what you need to do..

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    We schedule for everything. Our office is 100% by appointment. It works for us.
    After frame select and lens design, we collect payment and schedule their pickup.

The advantage is the ability to control your schedule. Patients never call asking "are they in, yet?". Patients seem to understand.
    That's when you tell them before they leave, "Glasses generally take x amount of business days before they come in. As soon as they arrive, I final inspect them, then call you." I tell them that 1-2 times before they leave so that they understand I will CALL YOU when they come in. In my office, hardly EVER does a patient call to ask if they're glasses are in. Also, this time of year, I always mention it will be a few days delay because of the holiday..they understand.

Whatever works for you, I suppose. I guess I personally don't understand how you can schedule someone to come get their glasses when you can't pin point when they'll be in.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile You're talking about setting some standards

Quote Originally Posted by OHPNTZ View Post
    I would like to hear your description of your "presentation" of a patient's frames on dispense.

Do you schedule your patients? Are the glasses "waiting" for your patients?

I'll describe where I work after a few posts...it seems rather poor to me...
    One thing is certain, in this economic market if your service quality isn't consistent, then you're going to lose patients. I've worked with and without appointments for a delivery of spectacles, but as I often "locum" the stuff I see is great for developing a teaching portfolio.

Take a look at this - it may be what you're looking for:

http://www.hopperconsultants.co.nz/m...9cffffd502.pdf

It relates to New Zealand's code of ethics in particular, but that code is universal in many ways.

Cheers.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think the idea of completely preadjusting the glasses is a great idea. This should cut way down on the time it takes to dispense. Of course, some fine tuning might be needed but that's it. It would be a good idea to note any unusal adjustments so the lab doesn't "straighten" the frame.

I also go write down if the glasses are a first time progressive/bifocal or a first pair of glasses. I go over what to expect when I sell the glasses so less time is needed at the dispense and to make sure it isn't missed.

So many people have mentioned giving cleaning sprays away. Is this the norm? We give the free cleaning cloths that the lab supplies but never give away spray.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Happy:
    Pre adjusting is a great idea and should be done in any case despite what I am about to say here. For those of us who use an outside lab (doesn't seem to matter which one, and I use four), The lab is going to: Move the nose pads in as far as possible to mount the lenses (and they sho' ain't gonna put them back.) The lab is gonna move the front of the plastic frame out when mounting high minus lenses. The lab is not going to grind off of the inner edge of the he lenses on high plus or very high minus lenses to allow the nose pads to be adjusted back out.
    So, any adjustment you do to glasses prior to sending them to the lab is strictly to allow you to measure better and It will almost always have to be re-done when the glasses come back from the lab.
    Of course if one does one's own cutting, edging and mounting (and I do not) this can be taken care of.

Chip

Occupation
    Optometrist
    We give them a little bottle of spray cleaner, and refill it for free. We tell them we want them to keep their lenses in good shape by using our cleaner and cleaning cloth.

Really, we like to keep people coming back in.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Now I See's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I give anyone who gets non-glare coating a small spray bottle of cleaner and a cloth (with the office info printed on...can't let a potential advertising opportunity go by! LOL ;)) Free refills, as long as the little pumper lasts! Haven't had one break, yet....sometimes good packaging is a bummer! :bbg: LOL!

Thread Information