Thread: Holiday excitement

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Holiday excitement

We got our son an Airsoft rifle for Christmas. It shoots pea-sized plastic BBs, and looks realistic.

On Sunday, during the blizzard, he walked back from a friend's house with it slung over his shoulder. About two minutes after he got home, I saw odd lights out of the front window, which I identified as flashlight beams. I figured that the police got a report of a man walking the streets with a rifle, so I didn't wait for the cops to knock on the door, I went to go out and explain. When I opened the door I heard "LET ME SEE YOUR HANDS". I held both hands out and said calmly and loudly "My son got a BB gun for Christmas, it's not a real gun". The cop reponded with "COME ALL THE WAY OUTSIDE", which I did, "WHO ELSE IS IN THE HOUSE?". As he came to me, he had his handgun drawn. "My wife, my daughter, and my son". One cop stays with me (and the dog) outside and the other (the yeller) went into my house, still with his handgun out. I learned later that he asked my daughter, who was in our livingroom, "WHO ELSE IS IN THE HOUSE?", and she responded that her mother was asleep upstairs and her brother was home. My son heard the commotion, and brought the gun from the kitchen to the livingroom, thankfully holding it out in front of him, by the barrel, with the barrel pointed at the ceiling. The yelling cop brought him outside and yelled "PUT YOUR HANDS AGAINST THE WALL", which he did. The cop frisked him, then held the gun in his face and said "SEE THIS? THIS'LL GET YOU KILLED!". They took our names and left.

On one hand, I understand how the mistake was made, and we've instructed our son that the gun gets broken down and put in a duffel when it travels. And if there had been a home invasion, the cops behaved in a way that protected themselves and ensured that my family was not being threatened.

On the other hand, I'm upset that I had a gun pointed at me. A friend asked me if I'm going to sue, since several of my civil rights were broken.
    ...Just ask me...

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    That's the main problem with realistic looking "toys". They look just like the real thing despite the orange end on the barrel. There have been many children shot dead by police officers across the country who were carrying a toy weapon. This is nothing to scoff at. You are absolutely correct that the "toy" must be broken down and put in a carrying case when transported.

As far as suing -- good luck with that. Check with an attorney, but I'm guessing that he/she will tell you it would be a lost cause. The cops were absolutely in the right in their behavior, and your son, despite good intentions, was in the wrong. Out of curiosity, what civil rights do you believe were violated? Police have every right to demand entrance to a residence when they justifiably believe a crime is/was committed, and they have every right to frisk suspects to prevent any possibility of injury/death. From your description, they did everything by the book.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have no intention of suing.
    ...Just ask me...

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    On the other hand, the cop doesn't need to tell your son that a fake gun will get him killed. I mean, I understand WHY the cop said what he did but clearly he noticed it was a toy after he saw the orange at the end. He could have just simply said, "You know some people may mistake that for a real weapon" and be done with it. Either way, I agree, the "toys" these kids are playing with are a little too freakishly like the real things. I mean, if they're going to ban candy cigarettes, why not ban those?

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    How old is your son?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Keri_Leigh27 View Post
    I mean, if they're going to ban candy cigarettes, why not ban those?
    It's against the law for a kid to have a real cigarette, but not a real assault rifle.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by finefocus View Post
    It's against the law for a kid to have a real cigarette, but not a real assault rifle.
    Well THAT makes perfect sense! :hammer:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yikes! Sorry you had to deal with all that. Do you live in an urban area? How old is your son?
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    You'll shoot your eye out with that thing kid!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by clumsy lab guy View Post
    You'll shoot your eye out with that thing kid!
    He should ask for an Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle!

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Guess who's going to have to explain his whereabouts for the next few years every time some glass in the area is hit with a BB?

(Yes I know these are plastic pellets.)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Keri_Leigh27 View Post
    He should ask for an Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle!
    ugg, more Christmas story? When will it end? :)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optilady1 View Post
    ugg, more Christmas story? When will it end? :)
    Hehe..I was hoping you'd enjoy that :p

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We live in a suburban area. My son is 16.
    ...Just ask me...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My son's father-in-law gave my 9 year old grandaughter a PINK BB gun for Christmas. Hate it, hate it, hate it... I gave her a real pink guitar. She'll take lessons for the guitar.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Don't you hate it when cops get all coppy without listening to anything you say?
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Too bad you don't live in the South, the cops wouldn't have said anything if it had been a real rifle unless it was on the school property.

When I lived in Bellaire (within Houston) my friends and I used to go rabbit hunting every day after school. We carried our guns in the open to the deserted fields (now Sharpstown). None of us was old enough to drive so we had to carry the weapons in full view. Odd, none of us had the urge to go to school and shoot the place up. All of us knew the difference between real and play guns and what would happen if you shot people or things with either.

Now they kick pre-kindergardners out for playing bang-bang with thier fingers. My times they is a changin.

If your son is 16, he old enough for real guns. I got my son his first shot gun when he was eight. He grew up to be the most law abiding liberal you ever saw. His wife won't even let him have a gun "in the house." Guess she's afraid it will get up in the middle of the night and attack her.
    Last edited by chip anderson; 01-03-2011 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Jus felt like it.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Spexvet View Post
    We live in a suburban area. My son is 16.

And the neighbors don't know your family? Super wierd that they would call the cops. My next door neighbor is a big, goofy meathead but if I saw his meatball son outside with a bb gun I probably wouldn't say or do anything until I found a bb hole in something. Maybe a neighbor has an axe to grind and the cops in your area are sick of busting under-age smokers? Sounds like you could use a little peace and quiet for a while.
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Here's MY Christmas picture........

We had a small gun fight over the Holidays too!:bbg:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Thread Information