Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 600 on line stores for ECP's set up by Essilor.......................................

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by eye2 View Post
    I hate to say it but were already there as a 3rd world country or fast becoming one.
    Look at our infrastructure and all the social programs. Three things that caused the fall of the Roman empire was 1. Infrastructure started to fail. 2. Government more concerned about welfare projects then the empire itself. 3. Army that was was bought and not really interested in protecting the empire. Sound familiar!
    Sounds like Rome.
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer
    • Teacher of the art of crafting handmade eyewear.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Highlights of the coastal contacts financial statement........................

HIGHLIGHTS OF THE COASTAL CONTACTS FINANCIAL STATEMENT, (posted on another thread)

The Company noted the following financial highlights for 2010:
    • Total order volume was approximately 1.6 million orders in fiscal 2010, a 17% increase over fiscal 2009.
    • Sales increased to $153 million in fiscal 2010, an increase of 10% over the previous year (15% excluding the impact of foreign exchange rate fluctuations).
    • Eyeglasses sales increased 113% to $20 million in 2010.
    • Sales in Canada and the United States increased 36% to $61 million in 2010.
    • Repeat orders accounted for more than 71% of total orders.
    • Gross margins were 29% of sales compared with 31% in fiscal 2009.
    • Cash balance of $18.3 million at the end of fiscal 2010 compared with $11.5 million at the end of fiscal 2009.
    • Purchased and canceled approximately 1.7 million shares of the Company's common stock during fiscal 2010 under the terms of the approved Normal Course Issuer Bid.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    And legitimate ECP's keep supporting the companies that support online retailers and unlawfully compete against you! Colleagues, it's time to take a stand and boycott. Stop supporting your own gradual demise!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Smilie Online Shopping

http://www.internetworldstats.com/stats.htm

The above webside sites statistics for internet usage globally. You may not want to participate for your own reasons with the interent, but the 11 year old will be 40 soon enough, and they don't know anything else.

When kids get computers, their parents go online and discover many of the conveniences and traps of using online services.

The internet will never replace good old fashioned service, but you have to look for ways of gaining an online presence next to those already selling. I think this idea is great, and if people would give constructive feedback, for ways to increase their margins, etc. I personally feel Essilor is astute enough to listen.

EX: Online purchases can be pooled between agreeing ECPs to create bulk accounts which give better margins. I'm sure you have ideas on how it works, so why not share them with the rep they send to sell you the programme?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Given the information that Marysue posted is correct, Than we can say that the US Population has reached max capacity for Internet usage. The reports sited show that 77.4% of the population is using the internet. this falls inline with demographic breakdowns which show that the population of 15 - 64 = 64% of the population 65 - over = 12.8%. So one could create an rgument that the max the internet could expect to recieve in usage from the US on a per user basis is now at Max. As this discussion has beeen limited to purchasing power of said users we can certainly agree that the 0 - 14 = 20.2% of the population is not making statistically important contributions to the buying power of the average internet user.

As to grouping together to reduce cost and increase margins, I'm all for this. I have a neighbor that is always talking about going in on a lab to reduce material costs. Sounds like a good idea to me.
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer
    • Teacher of the art of crafting handmade eyewear.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by kcount View Post
    Given the information that Marysue posted is correct, Than we can say that the US Population has reached max capacity for Internet usage. The reports sited show that 77.4% of the population is using the internet. this falls inline with demographic breakdowns which show that the population of 15 - 64 = 64% of the population 65 - over = 12.8%. So one could create an rgument that the max the internet could expect to recieve in usage from the US on a per user basis is now at Max. As this discussion has beeen limited to purchasing power of said users we can certainly agree that the 0 - 14 = 20.2% of the population is not making statistically important contributions to the buying power of the average internet user.

As to grouping together to reduce cost and increase margins, I'm all for this. I have a neighbor that is always talking about going in on a lab to reduce material costs. Sounds like a good idea to me.
    The statistics are based on homes and businesses, not people.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper

Quote Originally Posted by eyemanflying View Post

And legitimate ECP's keep supporting the companies that support online retailers and unlawfully compete against you! Colleagues, it's time to take a stand and boycott. Stop supporting your own gradual demise!
    OR

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Sue
    The internet will never replace good old fashioned service, but you have to look for ways of gaining an online presence next to those already selling. I think this idea is great, and if people would give constructive feedback, for ways to increase their margins, etc. I personally feel Essilor is astute enough to listen.

EX: Online purchases can be pooled between agreeing ECPs to create bulk accounts which give better margins. I'm sure you have ideas on how it works, so why not share them with the rep they send to sell you the programme?
    Following that you would have to take the helping hand offered by your best friends Essilor and do what they suggest.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave The internet is here to stay

Television landed in the 50's and prior to that, people were outside in the evenings, enjoying a chat with a neighbour, watching the kids play on the street. Now I'm not old enough to rmemeber this - being a 60's baby, but I do remember watching TV every night after dinner becoming more popular in the 80's-90's. My mother used to tell us to "go outside and play" Now - I can't get my kids off the computer. I guess it's the same for every generation. Optometry never embraced television advertising - why should we think that the internet will be any different.

I think you have the opportunity to embrace technology for little or no cost, to capture consumers who wouldn't otherwise visit you - AND serve your clientele in practice to a high standard.

They don't need to be mutually exclusive - these two animals can coexist quite happily and help you offer solutions to people who are "online only" shoppers.

In my 30 + years in optics, I've seen nothing but scepticism for anything new, and I suppose that comes with the territory - proving things is the basis for science isn't it? But ... what if ... and this is a big stretch for some ... what if Essilor is really doing you a favour? What if they are trying to help you - honestly, because that in turn helps them? Isn't it worth considering? I'm logging into the Webinar on the 13 of Jan to learn more - - - anyone care to join me?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Le sigh.....

When are we going to stop arguing over internet sales? There are always going to be patients who want the cheapest pair of glasses. They know that they are cheap, they don't expect them to last, and they expect very little of these products.

There are always going to be patients who want a good deal on a pair of glasses. They know they are going to have to compremise on some of the features or name brands they were hoping for. They expect them to do a decent job, expect them to last a year, maybe two, and hold up to mild wear and tear.

There are always going to be patients who want a good pair of glasses, but don't care if it's a name brand. They expect they will spend some money, know they want a relationship with the establishment where they purchased, expect a warrenty, expect them to last for 2-3 years, expect to have a human who remembers them, possibly by name, to be able to fix and adjust them, and expect to be happy with their glasses.

There are always going to be patients who want the top of the line, does not care what price they are, expect exceptional service by a first name basis person, expects to be catered to, and will continue to purchase glasses this way forever. They expect their frames to last 3+ years, expects to put their next Rx into the frame as a back up for when they spend another $1000 on the next pair. They wouldn't dream of not being happy with their glasses, because they know that their friendly neighborhood optician will fix any and all issues with their glasses. Period.

The first two people may or may not purchase from the internet. The last two probably wouldn't even imagine it.

The question becomes, Who are you selling to? Figure out who you want as a patient, and become competetive against other optical's who also want that patient. If it's the internet, you better find a way to compete. If it's the boutique down the street, ditto.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Geez, i didn't see anything in your post about thinking regarding eyewear wardrobe?
    Some people might want to develop one...seriously...and online might help make it happen.

And i'm not talking about the major name brands. I'm thinking just from a style standpoint.

B

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    We have many customers who have 6, 7, 8+ pairs. Once they can afford it, a lot of people enjoy having many different "looks". One guy I talked to had 18 different pairs (only a couple of which were from us).

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    Geez, i didn't see anything in your post about thinking regarding eyewear wardrobe?
    Some people might want to develop one...seriously...and online might help make it happen.

And i'm not talking about the major name brands. I'm thinking just from a style standpoint.

B
    Sure it could. But I think that patients typically continue shopping where they are comfortable. Whether that be online or not.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I owe my soul to the company store

Quote Originally Posted by MikeAurelius View Post
    The optican/dispenser who uses this program has sold his/her soul to Essilor
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Occupation

Blue Jumper Being comfortable these days more probably means................

Quote Originally Posted by optilady1 View Post

Sure it could. But I think that patients typically continue shopping where they are comfortable. Whether that be online or not.

AQbe statement might have been right just a few years ago, but no anymore. Being comfortable these days more probably means................can I afford it ?

Thread Information