Thread: Avance vs. Sapphire

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Avance vs. Sapphire

Thinking of ordering new lenses for myself and I was wondering what the new crizal sapphire coating looks like? Given the name, is it a blue-hued coating? How does it compare to Avance?

Any recommendations?

(and on that note, any recommendations for a great SV lens style? Currently using the autograph II sv lenses but I'm always up to try something new :))

Thanks!

I'm at -5.00 -0.25 x 135
    -5.25 -0.50 x 030

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    See here: http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...light=sapphire

And yes, it's blue. Hence the name.

For SV, try the Seiko Super MV Free Form.
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ecliptic! You have to try out hoya's sv lenses, their super-hivision anti reflective outperforms avonce and sapphire anyday, its has a light yellowish/greenish hue to it instead of crizals blue...so in my opinion it looks better. It really is close to impossible to scratch and smudge...i swear by it (i should work for hoya lol)

and if you want to do freeform SV they have a 1.7 nulux freeform comparable to shamir's autograph II SV, itll look great in your rx

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I always prefer the blue coating. The Avance is green, so if you want to stick with that, you can.

I just ordered a pair of lenses for myself in 1.74. Was so disappointed that I could only get the green version of the coating, since Essilor does not make the blue for 1.74. The blue is much cleaner looking and provides less reflections.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I love my Avance with Scotchgard and the patients love it as well but that's just me.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    available to me currently are the autograph sv lenses, the essilor 360 lenses, and the seiko MX lenses... opinions on these 3?

Occupation
    Why can you get Shamir Free Form, Essilor Digitally surfaced, but not Seiko Free Form? If you can order from Seiko, you can order (from Seiko's lab) the Free Form.....

In any case, I'd go Shamir first (because it is FreeForm), Seiko second, because they make good lenses, and Essilor last.
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Regarding SV, I've recently gotten the Zeiss Individual and it is by FAR the clearest vision I ever remember. 1.67 Transitions with PureCoat (blue residual, gorgeous). Love it.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I love the Crizal Sapphire on my Essilor SV 360 lenses!!!!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm wearing the Sapphires and I like the asthetics. Not sure it out-performs any of the other coatings but I have a pt who swears it does improve her visual acuity.
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We use the Natural AR and it has almost no residual color hue! It comes on any lens as it is a dip coat. We are about to raise our price to include it as standard for all clear and transitions orders. We will use the other coating for tint jobs and backside on sunglasses.
    The cosmetics are the best we have ever seen since the Optima coating.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    Regarding SV, I've recently gotten the Zeiss Individual and it is by FAR the clearest vision I ever remember. 1.67 Transitions with PureCoat (blue residual, gorgeous). Love it.
    Have you tried the Seiko Super MV Free Form SV? I'm curious as to how they compare.

For all the "advances" in A/R's, the Zeiss SET and GET remain my favorites.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The Varilux rep was literally just in the office and she stated that the only real big difference between Avance and Sapphire is there is more light transmission. So, in that case, I can see where patients would say there VA's are better.

Also, something to think about, is that Sapphire isn't on the VSP approved coatings list (As far as I know of) so the patient would have to pay out of pocket for them. We don't have it in our system so I can't even tell a patient how much we would sell it for.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Keri_Leigh27 View Post
    The Varilux rep was literally just in the office and she stated that the only real big difference between Avance and Sapphire is there is more light transmission. So, in that case, I can see where patients would say there VA's are better.

Also, something to think about, is that Sapphire isn't on the VSP approved coatings list (As far as I know of) so the patient would have to pay out of pocket for them. We don't have it in our system so I can't even tell a patient how much we would sell it for.
    Yeah, I don't sell the sapphire really, unless someone sees my glasses and asks about the blue hue. I got mine on a voucher. I have a price for full retail and I may use it this holiday season for people who want the most expensive thing they can possibly get because of flexible spending.:bbg:
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

Occupation
    I always used the Blue instead of the Green, because it looked better. Of course, that was only in situations where it made sense. If I had insurance plans like you, I would use the one that is covered. We only got the green in stock lenses, so I would obviously go the cheaper route and use the stock lenses.

Occupation
    Yes, Avance is 99.2% transmission and the Sapphire is 99.6% transmission. I'd say the color difference is a bigger deal.....

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    In Canada they're called Forte with the green colour and D Forte with the blue residual.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I got word from Essilor when Sapphire came out that it was going to be a new Category E A/R for VSP. However, the 2011 VSP price lists have no Category E listed.

We've been charging 20% above Avance for Sapphire and charging 80% of U&C for Sapphire with VSP.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by WFruit View Post
    Yes, Avance is 99.2% transmission and the Sapphire is 99.6% transmission. I'd say the color difference is a bigger deal.....
    WOW! .4% increase in light transmission! What have I been doing all this time?

Hello all, Saphire is all hype no substance. you cant discern 4/10ths of a percent of light increase and the residual blue is so you notice the reflection less. The human eye has difficulty seeing high energy blue light. Take the E off the lens and the price drops. Go out and find an off name product that has all the same properties and sell it in stead. Remember, a difference that makes no difference is no difference.
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer
    • Teacher of the art of crafting handmade eyewear.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by kcount View Post
    WOW! .4% increase in light transmission! What have I been doing all this time?

Hello all, Saphire is all hype no substance. you cant discern 4/10ths of a percent of light increase and the residual blue is so you notice the reflection less. The human eye has difficulty seeing high energy blue light. Take the E off the lens and the price drops. Go out and find an off name product that has all the same properties and sell it in stead. Remember, a difference that makes no difference is no difference.
    Is your issue with the residual colour or the company making it? Do you criticize others that come out with a blue coating?

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper That should make for a huge competition factor.......................................

Quote Originally Posted by WFruit View Post

....................I just love these differences of 0.4% at a transmission level of 99%. That should make for a huge competition factor a the point of sale.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I wear the Essilor 360 and the Hoya Nulux/ID SV and both are fantastic. Hoya has better cosmetics but the vision is great in both.

My rx:
    -5.75 -.25 x 080
    -4.50 -1.00 x 030
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecliptic View Post
    available to me currently are the autograph sv lenses, the essilor 360 lenses, and the seiko MX lenses... opinions on these 3?

Thread Information